Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$225 for a diff? Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

But price is an issue..what is the "or play the usual ford/Chevy thing" you make no sense at all..the basic thread was are they worth it..so price is an issue..not some Internet pissing match as you put it..we just want to know are my lap times going to go down by a whole bunch or a 1/10 here and their..to some of us $675 is a whole lot of money..
Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The other question is, do you need all three? If just a front one will improve laptimes by a tenth or so then yes, I think it would be worth it for me (though not for everyone). To make buying all three worth it for me would require a Nats A main I think.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Wingracer, the diffs have worked great for me. My lap times and finishes have increased quite a bit. I would start with the center or front first. Then get the other and try it. I am running the front and center now with the stock rear diff. I have run all three at the same time and I do not think it is the way to go. Like it was stated in previous post, use them to help tune the car. I have been running alot better lately, finishing 2nd in one race, and 6th in our latest points race that had some great drivers.

All I can say is they have been worth the money to me and I have been running noticably better since I purchased the diffs. I will be testing some more at my personal track this weekend and I'll let you know the results. Me and some friends are getting together to spend all day testing and tuning. I have lapping equipment so I will be able to give you some actual numbers.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I do not run them, however I have been talking to a person who does. Also discussed it with some friends who run them on another site. Most beneficial is center diff then front. Actually most people that I have talked to about them dont run the rear diff. What they practically all said is that there great if your a serious racer. There not for the casual racer. Reason being they actually take alot of practice to get used to. Your times actually will go down because the make the car handle so differently. It takes a good deal of practice and time and adjustment to find the set up thats right for you. Well thats my .02 cents worth.

Personally can't see me getting any if I'm already steaming about the new Odonell and kyosho price.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any new info on these. I think everyone is couious about them but don't want to purchase them if they don't work.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Heck I can get a new 8T for $400. How could I justify buying 3 $225 diffs?
Unless they shaved live 5 seconds or more a lap, I dont see how they could be justified
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

I used one up front in my eight and i'm never taking it out...ever.
The problem i had was on power steering i couldn't get enough pull from the front without going up to 7000wt oil in the front diff problem is, i lost all low speed steering.
I got the front tractive IV diff and it was really the best of both worlds i got even more off power steering so much that i had to use a thicker front sway bar! On power steering was incredible the inside front tire was really pulling the car towards the inside pipes!
the one problem i had was actualy my fault, after cleaning the diff i tightened the screws unevenly which made the diff notchy and caused my car to understeer sometimes.
Overall i recomend this diff it's worth the price imo.

Last edited by gameholic2; 10-14-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

for $225 a piece they better give my car super powers!! lol
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

I have all three, but I do not run all of them at once. I use them as a tuning tool. The most I have used is two (front and center). Guys at the track say my car just explodes with foward bite when I hammer the trigger. Never get out of shape when I accelerate. Last weekends SIC race I just used the center. They do work. Are they totally needed. Absolutley NOT, but I do like them and the do work very well.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

I used to run a Nuova Faor Torsen in the front of my "old faithful" MBX5. It increased on and off power steering drastically - exactly what this car needed. The rear stayed planted exiting corners, too. I could drive it really hard out of turns. I liked it a lot. I would try one in my RC8 but now that there's the MBX6....