R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I pretty much know how diffs work..i have built a few..real cars. lockers, posi's..spools..etc..My basic question I guess is not so basic....All i'm trying to say that no matter how "different" you make it if it's a torsen diff it's going to produce the same basic results..I know i'm simplifying things but i was just trying to get a better answer than "because I said so"..you know stuff like it's smoother..it doesn't unload like other torsen diffs..you dont need to take it apart and clean it every 3 runs..etc. If you want me to spend $225 on a diff..your going to have to explain why yours works better..and on the Ofna..it's not built cheaply or with inferior parts..so dont start with the junk vr. good.

Last edited by Oasis; 07-22-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The Torsen differential is simply a torque multiplier that works through the use of friction generated by thrust forces from the internal gearing. It multiplies what torque is available from the wheel that is starting to spin-up or lose traction and sends that available torque, multiplied by the TBR, to the slower turning wheel with the better traction.
As mentioned above, the Torsen differential is a torque multiplier. The Torsen requires some type of resistance or friction in the system to function properly. A wheel in the air provides zero torque or friction on the system and as the Torsen multiplies the available torque, zero, by its TBR, the end result is still zero.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Does anyone have pictures of the internals of this diff? Has anyone seen it inside? Is it a torsen or a locker? I ask because the talk of different ramps and what not makes me think it could be a locker instead of a torsen. If this is the case it will act very differently from a torsen. When one wheel begins to spin it will lock up. I could see something like that possibly having some real advantages.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #34
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Here's the assembly manual:

http://www.fioroni.com/contenuti/dow...V%20Manual.pdf

Doesn't look like anything really special, but what do I know...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My Fiorini's are different inside. They have long worm? helical cut gears. I'll post pics.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Worm gears are a Torson. Unfortunately that assembly manual doesn't show what is inside that pretty blue housing but it definitely is not a torsen. It either has something in there to lock it up when one wheel starts spinning (making it a locker which is something I would like to try) or it's a ridiculously overpriced standard open diff.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Worm gears are a Torson. Unfortunately that assembly manual doesn't show what is inside that pretty blue housing but it definitely is not a torsen. It either has something in there to lock it up when one wheel starts spinning (making it a locker which is something I would like to try) or it's a ridiculously overpriced standard open diff.
that manual shows exactly whats inside that pretty blue casing dude..
Old 07-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Unless you have a page I don't see all the manual shows is the already assembled case with outdrive and bearing being bolted up to the gear and all the parts it shows being assembled in the previous shots. Either there is more going on inside that case that was pre-assembled or this thing is a super expensive standard open diff just like every other car has. There is no shot of the inside of that case.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Unless you have a page I don't see all the manual shows is the already assembled case with outdrives and bearing being bolted up to the gear and all the parts it shows being assembled in the previous shots. Either there is more going on inside that case that was pre-assembled or this thing is a super expensive standard open diff just like every other car has.
I see 12 pictures and it shows pretty much every piece thats involved in the diff... They look a little bit differnet than my stock one, I know nothing about diffs so I dont know.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Whaa? The gear mechanics appears to be the same as the stock diff... same ole planitary style gearing.

Thought it was something a bit more special. It does appear more heavy duty... but that alone to me is not worth the price they are asking.

Thanks for posting the manual and thanks to others for the great info.
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #41
Tech Lord

Exactly what I am thinking, there has to be more parts inside that diff case.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Duct View Post
Whaa? The gear mechanics appears to be the same as the stock diff... same ole planitary style gearing.

Thought it was something a bit more special. It does appear more heavy duty... but that alone to me is not worth the price they are asking.

Thanks for posting the manual and thanks to others for the great info.
I dont think theyre the exact same as stock, or at least my stock mugen ones.

in the 10th pic (very bottom left) theres those 2 rings that go around the 2 dumbell gear things.

in the 11th pic that little spider gear on the back of the spur gear allears to b concave, not convex... like it shows in pic 4 and 8.

maybe im overlooking it.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #43
Tech Lord

I am saying it works just like a stock diff. It may be made a little different but it's function would be just the same unless there is more going on in there then what is shown.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #44
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

It has the standard spider gears in there and there seems to be some sort of internal "ring" that they sit in. According to A-Mains description, that ring must do some sort of magic and probably has something to do with the "ramping" that they talk about.

Now that I look at it again, I don't see anything at all that would provide any sort of unique functionality... but again, I ain't no expert...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #45
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I am saying it works just like a stock diff. It may be made a little different but it's function would be just the same unless there is more going on in there then what is shown.
Yeah, I agree.

It looks a little tougher, made a tiny bit different, but overall the same damn thing.

I highly doubt theres more going on than whats shown.

kinda wish someone owned one of these and could post a pic of the internals