R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Tech Adept

wooo i didnt no they where worth that much i took one out of a car i bought not that long ago as it had a chip in one of the gears in the torsen diff, i just put it back in my tool box and havent looked at it since never used it myself so cant say what its like but its a centre diff with lightened spur etc.
adz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Fioroni recommends using the front first, followed by both the center and rear. I think this is ok for Euro style tracks. Based on my experience with the previous Fioroni Storm Traction torsen diffs, I would suggest front or center first (I always tried it in the center first), with the rear last. I never ran a rear torsen, but I did often try a center and/or front. We even tested the Storm traction diffs in a prototype truggy we are/were working on, I think we installed a center and maybe a front as well. There was a noticeable reduction in the amount of front tire ballooning on full throttle.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (99%+)

Someday soon I really would like to try the front one for more on power steering.

If I understand the technology correctly it should give me the on power steering I want, but off power reduce the diff action enough to make tighter turns. I maybe over selling it in my mind but it sounds like an amazing diff.
kd2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've got two Fiorini torsen diffs for sale. A front/rear and a center, They have very little time on them. PM me if interested. I'll make you a good deal.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ofna makes some as well..about $100 each..and I'm sure not as top notch as the Fiorini ones but they do work the same..
Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #21
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If interested, I have a like new ofna torsen for $50 shipped.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
Tech Master

Different 'torsen' diffs work differently. The OFNA one(s) (or other brands) do not work the same as the Fioroni Tractive IV diffs. Fioroni has produced 4 completely different types of 'torsen' diffs over the last 10+ years, and they are different in design and how/what they do on the track. Saying that the diffs from different manufacturers work the same is like saying Brand A buggy works the same as Brand B buggy. Don't judge one brand by the results of another.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Different 'torsen' diffs work differently. The OFNA one(s) (or other brands) do not work the same as the Fioroni Tractive IV diffs. Fioroni has produced 4 completely different types of 'torsen' diffs over the last 10+ years, and they are different in design and how/what they do on the track. Saying that the diffs from different manufacturers work the same is like saying Brand A buggy works the same as Brand B buggy. Don't judge one brand by the results of another.
Ok..whats the "big difference"? and if they work so great on blown out tracks how come i dont see more guys using them? I know they work good on blue groove European tracks..but i dont race on one of them..I race on big super-cross style tracks with some tight technical sections here and their..and the tracks tend to get blown out..
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the reason you dont see them is 225 a diff so thats what 675 for 3...thats ur reason y
The #1 site for all your nitro needs
egobuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #25
Tech Lord

And this is where you would be incorrect..it's racing..I guess I should have said..More Pros using them..I have a few friends that take 3 Modded Motors as back ups to the bigger races (that's over $1500) They bring over 2K worth of tires, $750 worth of diffs would not be a problem..especially if they gave you a huge performance advantage..I would have them..
Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Correct me if I'm wrong but looking at the parts for this 'tractive' diff, it looks just like an Xray 'active' diff, just twice the price....

And people say X-ray stuff is expensive
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

Default Ballooning of tires

Add strapping tape to the inside of the tires before you glue them. No more ballooning. I am sure the diffs do something, but unless you can feel the difference, you really will not benifit. Why is a car so much cheaper than a race car. Well 80% of the work and results comes from 20% of the effort and costs. The last 20% improvement makes up the other 80%. So most of us drive cars at that 80% mark, or we add a few improvements so we may be at 85%. But as we reach closer to the 100% mark the price and efforts go up exponentially so technically it is impossible to have the 100% perfect car. These diffs fit into the catagory of spending a lot of effort and money to get a little bit of improvement out of the viehicals we drive. Most of us would really not be helped by the improvements. But if you are already attempting to get the perfect competative machine, you will need deep pockets.
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #28
Tech Master

What's the big difference? Well, what's the big difference between a Kyosho or X-Ray car and a Duratrax RTR car? They all have 4 wheels, 4 shocks, and an engine in the middle.

These diffs are available for whoever wants to try them. No one says you have to have them or is forcing you to buy one. If you don't want them, don't buy them. It's an option part, and can provide a performance advantage. Tires tend to wear better as well, as there is less tire spin.

Unfortunately the price is high for reasons explained earlier in this thread.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
What's the big difference? Well, what's the big difference between a Kyosho or X-Ray car and a Duratrax RTR car? They all have 4 wheels, 4 shocks, and an engine in the middle.

These diffs are available for whoever wants to try them. No one says you have to have them or is forcing you to buy one. If you don't want them, don't buy them. It's an option part, and can provide a performance advantage. Tires tend to wear better as well, as there is less tire spin.

Unfortunately the price is high for reasons explained earlier in this thread.
I actually find your reply a bit offensive..One i'm not an idiot and two the question was NOT about the difference in quality..the question was more in response to.."Different 'torsen' diffs work differently. The OFNA one(s) (or other brands) do not work the same as the Fioroni Tractive IV diffs. Fioroni has produced 4 completely different types of 'torsen' diffs over the last 10+ years, and they are different in design and how/what they do on the track. Saying that the diffs from different manufacturers work the same is like saying Brand A buggy works the same as Brand B buggy. Don't judge one brand by the results of another." I was wanting to know how does the Fiorini work differently than the Xray or the Ofna..I would think that the basic principles would be the same for all torsen diffs..I'm not sure on this so this is why I'm asking this question..If you dont know it's Ok..But it was a simple question..
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well, I know nothing about Torsen diffs for RC as I haven't got one to play with as yet. What I do know is that there is more then one way to skin a cat (had to throw that out there with your avatar). On real cars you have a multitude of different designs. There are open diffs (what we have stock), Posi's (like our diffs filled with grease), several different designs of limited slips, lockers (from what I have heard the new Tractive iv's sound like some type of centrifugal locker but having not seen inside one I do not know for sure) and spools (no diff at all). All of these work in a different way and can produce different results.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote