air filters

Old 07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I use NoToil filter oil and cleaner from the local Honda motorcycle dealer. Best stuff ever made. Traps everything and the cleaner takes everything out with it.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
I use NoToil filter oil and cleaner from the local Honda motorcycle dealer. Best stuff ever made. Traps everything and the cleaner takes everything out with it.

is the cleaner Aerosol ? and how much does it run you ?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Lord

No it's actually a powder you have to mix with water. I don't remember what the oil was but it wasn't much. Bought it years ago and haven't used half yet. Just bought a bottle of the cleaner for $8 a few weeks ago.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
cleaning the filter's does exactly as stated....CLEAN THE FILTER>....if u can see dirt...its not clean...Keep on washing...ive taken the DIRTY or Dirty filter's and they came out BRAND NEW clean....so using a Brand new filter Every time out imo is Overkill.
I live in Arizona where the dirt and dust is so fine you can't see it. Guess I should have added that in the 1st post because your environment makes a difference too. I don't trust myself or cleaners to get all the fine dirt and dust out of the filters because you can't see it.

Im not against cleaning your filters, lots of people do it. That NoToil filter oil and cleaner is good stuff. I personally rather play it safe and guarantee my engine is happy dust and dirt free. Living in a dusty environment it's not overkill to me.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
cleaning the filter's does exactly as stated....CLEAN THE FILTER>....if u can see dirt...its not clean...Keep on washing...ive taken the DIRTY or Dirty filter's and they came out BRAND NEW clean....so using a Brand new filter Every time out imo is Overkill.
You can never guarantee that you got all the dirt or get anything "BRAND NEW clean". Once it's dirty it's dirty, and you can never get it back to new condition, and since it's the fine particle dust and dirt that causes the majority of damage ~ DIRT YOU CAN'T SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE ~ it seems foolish not to replace filters regularly considering they're so cheap relative to the cost of replacing a motor.
Call it overkill if you like, but the saying "better safe than sorry" comes to mind.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

I've had pretty good luck with the K&N oil filter oil and cleaner kit. The oil is a spray on that is bright red, so you know exactly where you've put it. The cleaner is a pump spray that works pretty well for cleaning. It definately breaks the oil up quickly. I use it mostly for the filter oil though. I think it ran me like 10-15 bucks a couple of years ago.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Talking RC Air Filter Covers

Originally Posted by Don Duct
4 new pre-oiled filters for around $7... about a $1.75 each. To me that’s is worth saving my engine that cost $200+.

I replace my filter with a new one each day I take the car out. Use the same filter all day and replace it the next day I run the car.

When thinking about airflow and the simple spongy oiled filter, if you try to clean them your causing dirt to get pushed around and the dirt could work it's way deeper in to the spongy air filter rather then remaining near the outer edge of the filter, then when you use it the dirt is that much closer to getting though the filter. My filters look pretty dirty at the end of the day and I don't see how you could clean the filter so they are just like new. Just some thoughts.

My personal recommendation is to just replace the filter each time you take your car racing or out to play. Your engine will be happier long term for it.
Well stated....

You can take one more step to save money, while providing even better protection for your race engines. These thin dry layer outer covers work extreamly well to increase the longevity of the filter foams, and your engines. The reason they work so well is they hold the edges of the foam tighter to the plastic caging, stopping and dirt from working its way in. Also the dry layer stops dirt from sticking to the oiled pre-filter and eliminates caking. I'm a huge fan of these things and have run this brand for years! The outerwaers are ok but they allow to much particulate in and fit too loose to help secure the filter edges. Also they dont last as long as the cheaper ebay brand. The design and material is just better on the ebay ones. Period.

Only found at a couple hobby shops, and on Ebay these cheap re-usable covers just work. Here is where you can find them:
http://stores.ebay.com/UndergroundRCParts

Looks like this:
Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use the outerwears and a 2 stage but my track is by no means "hard packed". At the end of the day I clean all ofthem 1st I put alittle Nitro on them squish them around a bit then I use dish soap how ever many times it takes to get hem clean.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I clean them first with methanol and then dish soap
and rince with lukewarm water
and put them 1 cycle in the dishwasher machine
rince again and let dry ..
Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by mixedguy
whats the best way to clean air filters i use soap and water but does not get filter oil off and i want to get old oil off
there cheap enough just to throw away and buy new?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

The other thing that seems obvious is that the work involved in cleaning these things is just not worth the $2-3. I've got more money than time usually! Also, don't like with my luck that I may not get it clean and then what good are they doing? The guy at my LHS and a few of you may think it's crazy but I'm with the guys that are just throwing them away. Sounds like the schedule is to throw them away after each day. I'll probably check them to see if I get two practices out of them since I'm using the ebay covers but I would guess two days is the limit. Seems like a lot less hassle and a lot more insurance.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Im with the Rat here!!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am amazed at everyone and the desire to clean their filter. Why would you risk your $200 - $500 dollar engine on a $2 dollar filter. I have no problem replacing my filters whenever they need to be.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Lord

Use the right products and techniques and there is no risk. No problem with replacing them either. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Use the right products and techniques and there is no risk. No problem with replacing them either. Whatever floats your boat.
I agree with your philosophy, whatever floats your boat and you have good luck with!

Someone posted a little bit ago about holding the foam to the plastic of the cage, etc. I use filter grease, like what I use on my dirtbikes. Just an idea...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.