Wiki Posts
Search

quick plug question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default quick plug question

alright I am sick of buying 2 or 3 $10.00 glow plugs every race day. what causes the "last" coil to go out on a turbo plug. the rest of the plug lights up just fine coil looks PERFECT. but for some reason I keep killing the last coil in my v-spec with a p3 plug one head shim and byrons 20% engine temps are 250-260 with out side temps being in the 90's and a good smoke trail around the whole track. engine screams from idle to the end of the straight...I have not checked my deck height yet been busy but will try to do so tommarow night. also this only happens after I shut my engine down it will run for 20 min main plus warm up and yadda yadda yadda but once I shut it down it will not fire up unless it has a new plug.

sorry but this is starting to irratate me maybe I should try a colder plug?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how are shutting it down?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM

slightly lean perhaps...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

kill motor with starter box off... or something on the flywheel... dont plug the exhaust.....
Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If that last coil is looking kind of brown or dull and oxidized you are either just a bit too lean or try a colder plug. Maybe a P6 or P7.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

I put the optional shim in my V-spec, I don't think it was truly needed. I run 30% and temp at 240-250. I'm still on the original P6 plug that came with the engine plus the 8mm restictor and on my 3rd gallon. I wish I new what I'm doing different.
Oh, the only flame outs that I've had are when I run out of fuel. Not bragging.... But really courious why I don't have engine issues.

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 07-16-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Well, one thing I've stopped doing is tune an engine to a certain temp. Yeah I had issues like you too once upon a time, after killing an engine (i pinch the fuel line), I can't get it to start unless it's a new plug. I nowdays run between 210F~245F. Oh yeah I switched from Nova Ultra plugs to O'Donnell's 97T and 77T.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by razor_clawzz
Well, one thing I've stopped doing is tune an engine to a certain temp.
+1
last night was the first time it was ever temped. I had a pit guy that temp my motor after every run I had. (force of habit for him)Thats the only way I new the temp. I just make sure that there is smoke, and not spuddering. thats it...

I only have a temp guage for new engine break in...
Old 07-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I only have a temp guage for new engine break in...
+1....

The only other time i use it is when i'm having tuning issues, just to get a reference of what temp it's running at the time....

Other than that, i tune to smoke and sound. I find sound the most reliable to begin with as smoke depends on the oil content of the fuel...
Old 07-17-2008, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
alright I am sick of buying 2 or 3 $10.00 glow plugs every race day. what causes the "last" coil to go out on a turbo plug. the rest of the plug lights up just fine coil looks PERFECT. but for some reason I keep killing the last coil in my v-spec with a p3 plug one head shim and byrons 20% engine temps are 250-260 with out side temps being in the 90's and a good smoke trail around the whole track. engine screams from idle to the end of the straight...I have not checked my deck height yet been busy but will try to do so tommarow night. also this only happens after I shut my engine down it will run for 20 min main plus warm up and yadda yadda yadda but once I shut it down it will not fire up unless it has a new plug.

sorry but this is starting to irratate me maybe I should try a colder plug?
learn to tune rookie. i would check the deck height first off. and go from there. also try a colder plug
Old 07-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

yeah I always run the tank dry maybe thats whats killing the bottom coil....I went to a odonelle 97T for my last plug change we will see how it goes lol. I feel as if my tune is in the sweet spot
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Suspended

yeah I always run the tank dry ....
I don't know where you got the idea, but no one would or should intentionally run a tank dry and lean out the motor ~ you're doing more damage than just the glow plug.

I feel as if my tune is in the sweet spot
tuning has a lot more to do with proper operation of a motor than thinking you're hitting the "sweet spot"
Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
I don't know where you got the idea, but no one would or should intentionally run a tank dry and lean out the motor ~ you're doing more damage than just the glow plug.
May I know the difference between pinching the fuel line and running my tank dry? How do you stop the motor? Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wouldn't pinch the fuel line either. Just tap the flywheel and it will stop.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by razor_clawzz
May I know the difference between pinching the fuel line and running my tank dry? How do you stop the motor? Thanks in advance
Both of your methods, pinching a fuel line and running a tank dry, lean out a motor and potentially causes damage.
If you pick up the car/truck while it's still running, turn it over exposing the bottom side, and put the toe of your shoe to the flywheel IT WILL stop it doing no harm to the motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.