R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Best way to "unglue" tires?

Hello,
I have a couple different sets of wheels where the spokes are busted (yeah, I know, I am only running dish wheels from now on even though they don't look as cool) BUT the tires are pretty close to NEW. What is the best method of getting those tires off "bad" wheels so I can remount onto a new set of wheels without damaging the tires so they are able to be mounted again? Sorry for the dumb question, but I would just like to save myself a couple bucks and not have to buy all new tires too! Thanks!
superx421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is a post I did a few months ago about recycling old wheel, but this can be done to re-glue a set if tires on new wheels. (Read the last paragraph)

Quote:
I've been working for the last week recycling old wheels so they can be refurbished into good working tires again. So far I've done 48 wheels (12 complete sets) saving me around $100.00+ in buying new wheels to mount up.

Here is what I've been doing and what I've used to get them into "new" conditions.

Acetone, Lexan scissors, container with a lid, gloves & old set of tires still in working conditions. I purchased the Acetone at Home depot for $15.00 (gallon)

Cut the tire down the middle, and pull off the old foam.

Then cut the two halves off next to the wheels edge. So only the CA rubber is left

Place wheels into the Acetone for 24 hours (Must be 24 hours to get all the old CA glue off)

Wash off with warm soapy water. I also took my orbital sander and buffed out the scratches on the face. Took about 1-2 minutes per wheel to make look 95% new.

Glued up with new tires and foam.

A lot more tires to glue... :LOL2:

I also soaked a set of complete tires where the foams had gone bad, but the tire tread still had 90% life left. After 24 hours of soaking the tires pulled right off, and look almost new. 100% of the old CA Glue was dissolved from the tires and wheels. So now I can re-glue them up on with new foam, and have a working set of tires.

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Iwent to wal-mart and bought a$15 toaster oven, set at 300f for about 15min. Sometimes you may have to flip and do it again. They have come off every time, then take some brake cleaner to the tire( remove little chunks of glue with fngers) and reglue. I have changed several sets of foam like this. Very easy no mess. You will also have the oven for engine bearing removal. You could always use your oven, my wife would kick my but if I did.
clebo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebo3 View Post
Iwent to wal-mart and bought a$15 toaster oven, set at 300f for about 15min. Sometimes you may have to flip and do it again. They have come off every time, then take some brake cleaner to the tire( remove little chunks of glue with fngers) and reglue. I have changed several sets of foam like this. Very easy no mess. You will also have the oven for engine bearing removal. You could always use your oven, my wife would kick my but if I did.
We use the acetone method... but the foams will be gone... not sure about the oven method. Usually we're changing tires on rims that are being re-used, not the other way around. The acetone won't harm the tires, but it will dissolve the foams as it dissolves the glue.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Default SOL

I dont think there is any tricks to taking tires off wheels without damaging the tires. thats if they were glued right the first time and there is no bead that is blown out. If you do get them off, you have to make sure you prep the tires real well or they will never stick together again without problems,even with using new rims, like they do when you mount a brand new set of wheels and tires... Im sure there are some tricks to doing this sucsefully but for the time and agrivation you will go through, the little bit off money will be WAYY worth it, trust me.

Hope that helps
Dan
1RC_ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Suspended

This has been discussed many times in-depth on this forum, at least once a month I would guess, and a simple Search would point out all the methods - none particularly right and none are particularly wrong...

acetone works (the chemical breaks down and/or dissolves CA)
oven heating works (the high temp cooks the CA and makes it brittle)
boiling works too(same premise as the oven, just less smell)

Give any or all a try and find what works best, the final choice is up to you.
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Default boiling?

By boiling, you mean just a pot of water on the stove and boil it? How long will the tires need to stay in there to begin loosening up? I know it depends on the temp of the water, but are we talking 10-15 minutes or more like an hour? Thanks and I will certainly try one of these methods tonight. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by superx421 View Post
By boiling, you mean just a pot of water on the stove and boil it? How long will the tires need to stay in there to begin loosening up? I know it depends on the temp of the water, but are we talking 10-15 minutes or more like an hour? Thanks and I will certainly try one of these methods tonight. Thanks.
Yep, just get a big enough of a pot so they're submerged (and make sure they're full of water, by letting the air out before sticking them in).
Just as in the oven/baking method, 10 or 15 minutes should cover getting it done - but both are things you have to keep an eye on and keep checking. Don't leave 'em in till they're done like a cassarole, stand over it and pull one out from time to time to check if the bond's broken.
Otherwise, your wife will come home and the house will smell like you've been cooking old tennis shoes and she won't let you in the kitchen even to grab a beer.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Acetone, much easier then either baking or boiling. I've done all three and find that the acetone although it takes a little longer, actually works out best.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Jammin CRT.5 w/ OS .12 TZP 5
Team Losi 8ight-T w/ Ninja JX .21
stiffler297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i am a fan of the acetone method myself
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Tech Regular

I don't see how the acetone method can be easier than throwing the tires in the oven at 320 for 15 minutes. The tires pull right off the rims and everything, tires, foams and rims, can be reused.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Default Oven

If I do the oven method, how bad does this stink up the oven/house? I don't want the wife to come home and be PISSED because I was using her baking oven to do a little baking of my own! thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
If I do the oven method, how bad does this stink up the oven/house? I don't want the wife to come home and be PISSED because I was using her baking oven to do a little baking of my own! thanks
I've done this allot and found no good way to keep the stink out. And it usually smells for a few days
BQFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
I don't see how the acetone method can be easier than throwing the tires in the oven at 320 for 15 minutes. The tires pull right off the rims and everything, tires, foams and rims, can be reused.
Quote:
325 ~ what are you breaking down, epoxy ?

I don't go above 200 or 225, and maybe that holds down smell of molten rubber. IDK

As I suggested earlier, no matter the heating method, check them ever 5 minutes or so. Once the glue bond breaks, they're done!
If you leave them in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes like it was a pizza or cassarole or something at that temp OF COURSE the house is going to stink of whatever it is you're cooking.

(also use a cardboard cooking sheet, or wax paper, so you don't mess up her baking pans)
Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
As long as the foams are dry the smell isn't very strong, wet and you may have a problem. The pro-line tires do seem to have more of an odor than panthers or losi, still not bad though.

Just stick them on the center rack for 15 min, they will be fine
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote