R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Acetone will hurt some tires like panther tires since they use more real rubber in them.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I'm not looking to save the rim then I just use a heat gun around the rim. When it gets hot enough (put gloves on) just pop the tire loose.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Acetone will hurt some tires like panther tires since they use more real rubber in them.
Acetone should be ok for any of their tires except for the "C" compound (also R3 and Pink for ProLine and Losi). Those will shrink and harden but the rest should be fine. I think you're right about the natural rubber thing but I think those compounds are the only ones that have it. Anyone tried the acetone method on some MS or S Panthers out there?
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #19
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Acetone should be ok for any of their tires except for the "C" compound (also R3 and Pink for ProLine and Losi). Those will shrink and harden but the rest should be fine. I think you're right about the natural rubber thing but I think those compounds are the only ones that have it. Anyone tried the acetone method on some MS or S Panthers out there?
Acetone stands a good chance of drying the natural oils out of any rubber compound.
As I mentioned earlier, I've tried all the methods: soaking, heating, boiling, and they all "work." That being said, if you're worried about the tires and drying them out I guess the boiling method would be the safest.
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tires

I did the good old over method last night and it worked PERFECT. The tires came off without a hitch (burnt the shit out of my thumbs and fingers though). Both tires and rims are perfectly re-usable for sure. Thanks for the insight!
superx421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

ive used a heating pad at the track for 1/18th scale wheels. it worked. but for bigger wheels it might take a bit longer depending on the size of the pad/blanket.
the brushless system did a number on the wheel were the pin goes into the groove.
triggerman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Wow, I would have never thought of those methods. Pretty cool.

Personally I think the best way is to throw them away. I beat up my wheels pretty good racing.
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

I think someone said it already, but yeah a cheapie toaster would work aswell im sure, pop them in like slices of bread! The advantage to this method is you could do it outside [i.e. run an extension cord from the garage, or plug it in to an outside plug on the side of your house] and avoid the wrath of captain wifey and the stink patrol.

Personally I employ Chuck Norris to roundhouse kick my tires off the rims, works everytime.
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to scoopdaloop

Acetone is the best way. GO to rctips on youtube and they have a video that shows the steps.
scoopdaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #25
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdaloop View Post
Acetone is the best way. GO to rctips on youtube and they have a video that shows the steps.
not the most environmentally-friendly way