R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Thinking about a 1/8 buggy, maybe.

Hi guys. I'm new here, but not new the hobby. I have a little of everything, except a buggy. I'm not really a racer, just more of a back yard basher, although if I could find something happening close to home, I would definitely consider getting into the race scene. It looks like a lot of fun.

Anyway, I've been eyeing up the Jammin X1-CR Factory Team Buggy. It looks like a really nice model. It's readily available and so are the parts at my favorite place to shop. I was thinking of going with this buggy and an O.S. .21 VZ-B Al Spec engine. I wanted to put this engine into my Revo 3.3, which has been seriously upgraded, but I got to thinking it would really shine in a lighter, more agile machine, like a buggy.

As I said, I'm new to buggies, so I have some questions. I'm wondering how durable the Jammin X1-CR is. I would mostly be ripping around the yard, in short grass, and more often gravel or dirt. How would this buggy handle short grass? How fast could I expect this thing to go with the VZ-B engine? Is it possible to do gear changes? I would assume so. Also, compared to my Revo, I noticed there isn't a lot of upgraded parts available for this buggy. Is that how it is with all buggies? They make a ton of stuff for the Revo, but it looks like beyond better shock towers and such, there isn't a whole lot to worry about. I have to say I like that. It will save me money in the long run. Most of my RCs end up being money pits because I get all the upgrades I can for them. At least this wouldn't be the case.

Also, I'll need a starter box, obviously. For that, I've been looking at Ofna's 1/8 scale starter box. The blue one with 775 motors. Aww, here, I'll just post the link. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRLU1&P=7 What do you think? Good, bad, okay? Is it possible to fit more cells in it then the dual 6 cell packs? Not that I'd need it, but I do have some 8 cell shootgun packs already, because I use that on my heli starter.

Besides the radio gear, tools, shock and diff oil, which I already have, is there anything else I would need? It looks like you get a clutch with the buggy. How about a flywheel? Anything else I might need?

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks guys.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

the jammin car is a good car.. the parts are very cheap to replace and are very easy to find. the car will come with clutch and flywheel. the only thing you will need is your radio gear, servos, and your vzb and you wil be good to go. if you have any questions about jammin just let me know.
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
the jammin car is a good car.. the parts are very cheap to replace and are very easy to find. the car will come with clutch and flywheel. the only thing you will need is your radio gear, servos, and your vzb and you wil be good to go. if you have any questions about jammin just let me know.
And it needs a pipe.

The Jammin is a great car, you won't be disappointed! Note however... the X1X is the latest, and I'm pretty sure it comes with the upgraded Super Big Bore shocks. I'm not sure the one you are looking at does. (Can someone confirm that? Maybe the Factory Team version does...)

Assuming it has the SBB shocks... there is NOTHING on that car that needs upgraded. We mod our rear shock tower with an extra hole for the camber link... you CAN put the King Headz one on there to do the same thing.

Keep in mind that your shock and diff oils are NOT the same as you would use in a truck. With the SBB shocks something like 35 front 32.5 rear is a good starting point... and for diffs 5k front 5k center 3k rear.

THIS is a great starter box:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUC2&P=7

Enough power for the hardest to break in motors, and direct drive so extremely durable. Use it with a 12v battery... and this box with a battery will cost about what the other one does without. It IS a little big, and heavy with the 12v battery, but you'll be happy with the reliability and power, and the simplicity means less "points of failure."

If you want setup info let me know, I'll be happy to get a nice, stable, forgiving setup posted for you.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies guys. Actually, the Jammin Buggy I was thinking of is the X1X-CR. I just didn't realize I left the extra X off. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMCA2&P=ML

A pipe for the engine. Check. Thinking about the O.S. T-2060SC for that.

Thanks for the suggestion on the stater box. One thing I wish I could do is find a starter box that would also be compatable withb my Revo. I run a jump-start on the Revo, but someday would like to go to a starter box. The Revo is kind of an odd ball, as I guess it doesn't fit most starter boxes. Is there anyway I can make do with a universal starter box for a buggy and the Revo?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

just to help you save a couple a bucks, at Nitrohouse.com the Jammin x1x cr costs $520 and the starter box is $85
skippi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Actually, the Jammin Buggy I was thinking of is the X1X-CR. I just didn't realize I left the extra X off. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMCA2&P=ML

A pipe for the engine. Check. Thinking about the O.S. T-2060SC for that.

Thanks for the suggestion on the stater box. One thing I wish I could do is find a starter box that would also be compatable withb my Revo. I run a jump-start on the Revo, but someday would like to go to a starter box. The Revo is kind of an odd ball, as I guess it doesn't fit most starter boxes. Is there anyway I can make do with a universal starter box for a buggy and the Revo?
Dunno about starter boxes for Revos, sorry... wish I could help.

The pipe you listed is a great pipe. If you want to save some cash, look at the Dynamite pipes. I like the 053 midrange pipe (I had a JP1 on my Werks B7 and it was just STUPID strong on the bottom... like an on-off switch... just too much) and that pipe smoothed it out. However they have low end and high end pipes too... under $50 with the manifold, for a nice polished pipe (very easy cleanup) with a reinforced stinger.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

jp3 pipe works great on a vspec. unfortunately you wont be able to use same starter box for a buggy and a revo. if bashing and u like a revo try a truggy
Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

if your looking for a starter box for the Revo heres one http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/cate...055&type=store
skippi15 is offline   Reply With Quote