Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP9 vs 808 quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default MP9 vs 808 quality

I am sure both drives really well. So my question is how are there quality compares. What do you like and dislike from either buggy...
Old 12-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Ive never driven or seen an MP9, so I will not say anything negative about it, but I have been wheelin the 808 for the last 6 months and the buggy is indestructable. the carbon fiber is actually stronger than any plastic or aluminum I have ever seen or driven. I have owned and driven 8 other cars/trucks/buggies and none of them are as durable as the 808. I crash bad, and my track is huge, so there are no minor crashes. I'm talking cartwheels, collisions, and head on crashes, and the only thing I ever broke was a shock end. All the other people I know that have em all say the same thing, and I am pretty sure evryone you ask who has any personal expierience with the XRAY 808 will all agree it is the most durable buggy out there
Old 12-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I had an 808 and now have an MP9. There are some small issues with the MP9. Over all I think the 808 is more durable.

The Mp9 drives real nice though.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

I don't have a recent K car but my 808 wont break & short of taking a grinder to the front bumper it doesn't wear. Except for cvd pins & outer wheel bearings I have no breaks or slop in 7 gal of so now. My old on-road K car would break if crashed hard enough but its not fair to compare a 1/10 on road to any 1/8 off road. 808 = more durable than mbx5r or T if your familiar with those.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have an 808. About the only "knock" I can attribute to it aside from difficulty getting parts is the battery compartment. It's not a huge issue, but it can be a bit tricky to get the battery cover off, especially when the engine's still hot. As far as quality of parts is concerned though, XRAY cars are beyond reproach.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Regular

Look like you guys really like the 808's durability. How about the handling between the two. I currently have an 8 and 8T, I was told the 808 drives similar...what about the MP9?

So far I heard the 808's center/front cvd wears, as well as bearings. Are there other parts to wears out quick? What about on the MP9, what usually goes out?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

It's kinda funny that parts for the 808 are a little expensive. But the only things you ever need to replace are cvd pins and bearings. The pins are like 5 for a 10 pack and bearings 1$ each. Cheap maintenence IMO. The 808 is the ONLY car that I would not hesitate to go to a race day with ZERO spare parts. Which I did for a month when I first got my car.

I got punted the other day and bent a rear shock shaft. I swapped in a jammin big bore in a pinch since thats all the shop had I coul make work. The next qually I got pegged again. The shaft actually broke in half with no damage to the xray shock end! That should tell you how good the plastic is.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well at least your comparing apples to apples. As far as quality your questions is more like asking whats better the BMW or the Mercedes. The truth is you could not go wrong with either one. You probably did not get as many replies from MP9 owners because there are not as many. Due to it just being released in Sept and an $850 price tag. The 808 will have been on the market a full year soon and is $200 cheaper.

Anyone telling you any modern buggy out performs the other is full of it. All modern race bread buggy's performance is on a pretty equal level. The industry has now become so competitive that there is a minimum standard there vehicles must perform to in order to compete. Keep in mind on any given Saturday at any give track any buggy can beat any other buggy. And it happens all the time its really a matter of whose got the right setup and the right driver that day.

If your driving a Losi now neither of the buggy's will be any more bulletproof than the one you have. They may wear better but will survive or not survive a crash in about the same manor. Bulletproof = maintenance + luck + driving skills that has not changed since the dawn of RC'ing. As far as performance keep in mind they were all scrambling to redesign there buggy's to compete with the Losi. (no disrespect to either buggy) Losi stepped the level of what a buggy's performance should be which is a good thing for everyone.

As far as which one you should get that should be simply a matter of which one you liked the best. They are so equal in performance and quality that there is not a wrong choice just a delayed choice. Waiting for someone to give you some magical answer that simply does not exist. Pick the one you like for whatever reason you liked and you will be very happy.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
It's kinda funny that parts for the 808 are a little expensive. But the only things you ever need to replace are cvd pins and bearings. The pins are like 5 for a 10 pack and bearings 1$ each. Cheap maintenence IMO. The 808 is the ONLY car that I would not hesitate to go to a race day with ZERO spare parts. Which I did for a month when I first got my car.

I got punted the other day and bent a rear shock shaft. I swapped in a jammin big bore in a pinch since thats all the shop had I coul make work. The next qually I got pegged again. The shaft actually broke in half with no damage to the xray shock end! That should tell you how good the plastic is.
GDay, I am about to race my 808 as of next year when you say cvd pins are you talking about the outer pins that hold the hub on or the pins that hold the shaft into the end cup?also bearings are you talking about the diff bearings in perticular? trying to get a good backup parts list ready for 09.
cheers
Old 12-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

"Anyone telling you any modern buggy out performs the other is full of it. All modern race bread buggy's performance is on a pretty equal level. The industry has now become so competitive that there is a minimum standard there vehicles must perform to in order to compete. Keep in mind on any given Saturday at any give track any buggy can beat any other buggy. And it happens all the time its really a matter of whose got the right setup and the right driver that day."

But, some cars do have a different "feel". Even if they turn equal lap times.

For example you could make this argument with RC8 vs D8. Still Apples to Apples. I wish I could make my RC8 as agile as a D8 without it becomeing super loose. And I wish that I could make a D8 jump as well as an RC8. The cars are so different That I'm gonna build both. The D8 will be my next car.

I'll bet that the Mp9 vs 808 is nearly the same as RC8 vs D8. With the 808 turning better and the Mp9 jumping better. Just guessing on that one though.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by aussies1129
GDay, I am about to race my 808 as of next year when you say cvd pins are you talking about the outer pins that hold the hub on or the pins that hold the shaft into the end cup?also bearings are you talking about the diff bearings in perticular? trying to get a good backup parts list ready for 09.
cheers
The pins at the end of the cvd that go into the outdrives. You need a pin removal tool though for it. I use a Bonesaver. And you need part #106050.
I also replace the pin that keys into the front, and rear pinions and the pins for the axles. Those notch out and cuase the car to feel a bit sloppy. The pin removal tool is a bit spendy but it is a tool and you only buy it once. After that the pins are like $4 for a 10 pack. That is cheap to freshen upi your drivetrain.

As for bearings, I am a bit lazy and just swap the whole lot out for new ones every 4 or 5 race days. Probably overkill but it is cheap insurance imo. Whenever I put new onwes in I just order another set to have ready. These are just estimates. I still have a ton of used bearings that I clean and regrease as backups.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Quality wise is what the question was . Both are very high Quality kits. Kyosho built what the racers asked for, you will not have to buy any extra hop up parts to make it durable. Xray well the name says it all,both are very durable cars . good luck
Old 12-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

From what I've seen between the MP9 and 808 side by side, it really is a photo finish, add the mugen to that list, and I personally dont think you could seperate the quality of the kits, they are all top of the tree, same goes for their onroad counterparts also.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

The 808 pins I have replaced are the 3mm dogbone end & 2.5mm pins that are in the actuall cv joint & the bearings are not the ones that are reported to have problems(pinion) just the outer wheel bearings.I have replaced them all but at a $1 each I would on any car. If your driving a losi now the pins would not be considered a problem to you they last twice as long as my losi(buggy & truggy) did & the only ones that wore faster than I thought they should were the front center dogbone end & front center cv end. Those are the highest wear pins on any car though. 808 guys just get spoiled in the head because no other parts of the car wears like any of my last cars did so it seems that parts wearing at what is considered normal for other brands is fast for the x-ray all a trick of perception. Outer wheel bearings went much faster than I consider normal for any car but you must consider that x-ray did the same thing that losi did they went to a bearing size with tiny balls,a trade off of durability for light weight & low rolling resistance.The 808 outer wheel bearings still lasted longer than my losi diff outdrive bearings(about the same size). Unlike my losi I was able to use real bearings(8x16) at my diff out drives in the 808,not what was designed to be there but they fit perfect & are easier to shim.

I would also like to say Vlad is wrong. I crash my 808 just as much as I crashed all the other cars I had & it has so far not broken,worn or bent. Its not maint + luck + driving skill. It should read Bulletproof= maint + the product you bought. Again I'm not saying K will have problems because the K cars I do have never had abnormal problems just that I have never encountered a car like the 808,that simply has no weak points & has never let me down. I dont expect you to understand, as I formally would have thought this type of talk was some retard fanboy kid but some day you'll race & maybe pit regularly with 808 owner & you'll get it then. Or do what many racers do ,just move from car to car till you find one that fits your expectations.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree with Butch man. As I stated earlier, I have owned many different vehicles throughout my years, and I have not crashed any of them as badly as my 808 and they all have broken, and my 808 has not. this thread was started to compare the durability of the 2 vehicles in question and I can say with great confidence that there is not another buggy on the market, as durable as the 808!! that does not by all means mean it is the fastest, lightest, best jumper, best buggy in the history of the world, and It may not even be right for you, nor allot of other drivers, but you will never get a DNF because your buggy broke and that's half the battle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.