Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning Engine How Often?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default Cleaning Engine How Often?

How often do you guys open up and clean your engines? Lubing Etc?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

i clean mine every 2 to 3 gallons...

some dont do much of anything to their engines and just clean the top of the piston off with some very fine steele wool, i think its 0000 is what you will want to use. but after cleaning i clean it totally out with some isopropyl alcohol or some type of nitro blast cleaner, clear it out with an air compressor. add some after run oil and slap it back together.

i also do more extensive cleaning methods, but i do not think its needed. I remember cleaning some of my engines with the above method and I got 10 gallons...i guess I just get bored at times who knows lol
Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oggietiu
How often do you guys open up and clean your engines? Lubing Etc?
I clean my motor (And whole buggy) after each race. But I do a complete motor tear down, inspection, and internal cleaning after each gallon of racing.

OR at any point I think there is something going out in the motor...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Thanks Guys. I usually break it down and clean it after a gallon too. Sometimes less if I think it is needed.

I can get a grip on what to use to clean them. Now I am using a diuted mixture of Simple green to clean it and soft terry cloth. After that I give it a blast of compressed air make sure its really dry, Relube the bearings and slap it back together.

Some use kerosene, some use denatured alchohol. But I like the cleaning power of simple green. However I need to get it wet. Is this Bad?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I truthfully try to take my motor apart as little as possible. I really only take it apart when maintanece is needed, I feel the less you take it apart the less chance of any foriegn particles getting into it. I have gotten to the point where I do not even replace bearings or conrods anymore. I have had stock bearings and conrods in these highend engines last the entire life of the piston and sleeve. Usually over 10 gallons.

But before I get flamed, yes I have been burned by a bearing going out, or a conrod breaking early in a motors life. But for the most part, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Same with me. I open it up and inspect it after each race day.

A habit I got into from when I used to race TZ250s...

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
I clean my motor (And whole buggy) after each race. But I do a complete motor tear down, inspection, and internal cleaning after each gallon of racing.

OR at any point I think there is something going out in the motor...