Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro fuel prices went up, converting nitro buggy to lipo,brushless its a good idea >

Nitro fuel prices went up, converting nitro buggy to lipo,brushless its a good idea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro fuel prices went up, converting nitro buggy to lipo,brushless its a good idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bjr48
Are you talking about an oil shortage or global warming or both? Because neither one is true!
Our gas prices have nothing to do with supply, it's all based on highly exaggerated prices from oil speculation and most reputable scientists that aren't getting global warming grant money agree that global warming is total BS. Granted we should take as good of care of the earth as we can and conserve every bit of energy as we can. The earth can't take it anymore?! What in the hell are you going to do with all of your LiPo packs when you are done with them? Neither choice here is very "Earth friendly" if you are highly in tune with that scene now is it? I don't understand what your point is. It is not simply put at all. Doesn't have much to do with anything.
You think everything is just fine? You must be playing to may video games in your basement because it's already damn well proven.
You seem like the kind of person that likes to mis-comprehend words that are said, and put them into a whole new level of exaggeration and overstating.
It doesn't have to do anything with supply eh? It's in the title of the thread smart one.

You know what you can do that could help the earth out? Go back to school.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You do know nitro-methane doesn't rely on petroleum? So oil shortage or not, it will not affect the prices of nitro one iota, except in regards to shipping costs maybe.

As for the political speak...........
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TexasSP
You do know nitro-methane doesn't rely on petroleum? So oil shortage or not, it will not affect the prices of nitro one iota, except in regards to shipping costs maybe.

As for the political speak...........
You are correct. However, while methanol is usually made from methane it is sometimes produced from light petroleum products.

Not arguing, just thought I would throw that in there.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

On the flip side, the polymer in a LiPo pack is made using ethylene which is made from petroleum.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I thought methane is a natural gas from say cow manure?!?!?

As for all the guys who think nitro will go electric, you will see much more impact on the automotive side before you see it on the RC side IMO.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have both nitro and electric 1/8th buggys. I run the same lap times with either of them. The electric car makes my race day easier when my kids are at the track. There is way less maintenance on the electric car and it costs less to race every weekend due to parts ( clutch,bearings,glow plugs,fuel) but if the mains are longer than 20min then it is harder to run the electric you need a much more competent pit guy. In the end I like them both and think they are equal on the track. I think they should all run together and everyone have fun.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:04 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

ok....as much as i love electric and dispise nitro, i must say this. gas goes up in price a lil bit (nitro, not the 1:1 stuff) and ur thinkin of blowin the better part of 500bux easy to convert to electric.

i say this thought process is lacking some financial clarity. good luck.

R
Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

I booo electric loudly ....
Old 12-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
I booo electric loudly ....
You revived this thread to say that?

I'm building an e-RC8 and e-8T right now. I do like nitro, but you can't deny how competitive brushless/lipo setups are. I like the noise and smell of nitro, but I hate tuning, I hate stalling, and a few other issues. With that being said, I'll run my Mugen as nitro forever, that way I only need one car to tune, my other cars will be electric, they can share batteries all day long. Each one has its place, I think once there are actually electric classes the fields will grow quickly. The battery tech will change rapidly as they squeeze more capacity into smaller cells and find a way to do quick battery changes. Once battery changes can be made in <15 seconds, watch out nitro guys, the e-buggies are going to own not only the short qualifiers and mains, but the long ones too.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

they need to be in there own class plain and simple..
Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

there will be a lot of guys that say yes.

I say no. The guys here cant keep them running, blowing up 150 packs, smoking ESC's and motors. 1 of the guys that comes to my track ran nitro controvered to electric and had to go back to nitro because he blew 3 lipo packs, 1 esc and 2 motors.

He spent another 120ish on the conversion for his 8ight, 200 on esc and motor, 150 on the pack, 100 on a good charger. first pack went bad during a bad wreck, and spent another 150. that pack as a wire desolder itself. He got a warranty on it, but still cost him 75 since they said it was his fault. Is mamba max ESC went up in smoke, sent it in, got it replaced, then 1 motor overheated and seazed. His fault and 150 later and that motor went bad.

he spend 570 on the conversion, plus another 375 to pay for stuff that went bad. so almost a grand to run electric.

Since he already had a nitro motor, imagine what 1000 bucks will buy in fuel.

if you already have nitro, its a waste of money. if you are new to 8th, it costs alittle more. But you cant compete when we run 20, 30, 45 and 60 minute mains. Plain and simple.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bigedmond

I say no. The guys here cant keep them running, blowing up 150 packs, smoking ESC's and motors. 1 of the guys that comes to my track ran nitro controvered to electric and had to go back to nitro because he blew 3 lipo packs, 1 esc and 2 motors.

He spent another 120ish on the conversion for his 8ight, 200 on esc and motor, 150 on the pack, 100 on a good charger. first pack went bad during a bad wreck, and spent another 150. that pack as a wire desolder itself. He got a warranty on it, but still cost him 75 since they said it was his fault. Is mamba max ESC went up in smoke, sent it in, got it replaced, then 1 motor overheated and seazed. His fault and 150 later and that motor went bad.

he spend 570 on the conversion, plus another 375 to pay for stuff that went bad. so almost a grand to run electric.

if you already have nitro, its a waste of money. if you are new to 8th, it costs alittle more. But you cant compete when we run 20, 30, 45 and 60 minute mains. Plain and simple.
The ESC problems are all but gone these days. The MMM has been pretty much bullet proof since their v3 version came out. Tekin is releasing a hybrid sensored motor & ESC in Feb. A proper setup can run 20 minutes on one charge with no problem. I have run 30 minute mains and still didn't come in last after I had to do a 30 second battery swap. I have raced every other weekend all year with hardly any of the problems you mention.

Electrics will get their own class eventually, but right now we generally race with the nitros. Not a big deal IMHO. You either can drive or you can't. Whether someone is electric or nitro isn't going to matter. Skills are skills.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

That's bad luck or buying subpar equipment. Most people have a much better experience than that. I'm sure people could tell you plenty of nitro disaster stories as well.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

all this is within the last 2 months, and the last 2 lipos were losi lipos
Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

all this is within the last 2 months, and the last 2 lipos were losi lipos
Just as nitro is not plug & play, electric really isn't plug & play either. It is plug & play when you get the right setup though. You really need to know how to properly set the car up and what equipment to buy. What KV Motor goes with what Voltage. How to properly wire the car. General maintenance. What products have been proven on the track versus just have big advertising budgets. I have noticed that a lot of people who have gotten into it lately and many are seeing their cars go up in flames because they aren't setting up the cars the right way or attempting to cut corners. Almost always ends in disaster.

I have been running < $100 lipos from Hong Kong all year with no problems. I ran a regular MM half the year with no problems. I have been running my v3 MMM two months with no problems. I smoked two motors this year, but it was because I didn't properly secure the wiring causing a short - basically user error that won't happen again.

Electric is just as reliable, but it is different and takes the right amount of research to know what works and what doesn't.