R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would have never gotten into and raced electric with NiMh cells and brushed motors. But with brushless and LiPo's it is a whole new world. There is nothing a 100% factory paid driver could do to have any better an electrical system than the avergae Joe when it comes to 1/8th electric. And since it is the same nitro cars that most guys run, the parts, durability and availablility is there too. The 1/8th cars have definitely changed over the past few years but the cars made 3-4 years ago are still just as competitive. The MBX5 is over 5 years old. And I see a ton of guys still running the old Kyosho K2's.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am 100% nitro.
The battery powered ones simply just dont "do it" for me, at ALL.
To have comparable runtimes (45min mains) how big and expensive of a battery would you need?
Pitting to swap abattery would take a seemingly absurd amount of time.
If nitro gets too expensive (I have 2 cases w00t) I will get out of teh hobby before running a battery powered r/c vehicle.
Zero interest in it, and if the mags and people keep shoving it down peoples throats, its going to detract from the nitro interest, which is what got the hobby as popular as it is today and perhaps hurt its popularity in the long run. They always point out the pros of battery power and the negatives of nitro. I did like the article I think xtreme r/c cars did on a 1/8th lipo conversion that got a 6 minute runtime though
If you dig them, great, they are just not my cup of tea.
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #33
Tech Apprentice

I started with electric and went to nitro to get more speed and runtime, the flame outs, lean bog and uncertainty of going somewhere and getting it started grew old. I went to 1/5 gasoline but the size grew old. Now that you can get a 8000 mah lipo battery or run a low KV motor and get 25 minutes of runtime and go faster than Nitro and gasoline ive changed back. Charging a TX pack and RX pack a glow plug ignitor battery and a starter box battery just didnt make sense. You dont even charge than many batterys to run an electric conversion... And for that guy who complained he doesnt want to be confused for driving a radio shack car, I think you may have some insecurity issues that go beyond RC. Radio shack going 60+ mph, maybe in a few years but not now.
jayjay283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The cost of nitro fuel is a small outlay anyhow.

I ran 3 sundays, quite a few practice tanks in the morning, then 3 qualifiers and the main, on one gallon of fuel. That's 10 bucks a weekend. Even if the price/gal doubles I'm only spending 20 bucks a week on fuel... I'd be willing to bet that 90% of those complaining spend more than that eating at fast food/restaraunts during the week. The fuel seems expensive but it's all relative. Look what an 1/8 scale buggy/truggy costs total outlay, and fuel is cheap

That said, I've seen a 1/8 brushless buggy run at my track and it rips
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Don't take it too seriously jayjay.

Electric vs. Nitro is like the difference between it being a "cute toy" or an "awesome truck"!
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

yeah kind of like being a flame out on the side of a track, or doing a 3ft take off 30ft triple over the finish line
jayjay283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Flame-outs are the result of not knowing how to tune or maintain a nitro engine.
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #38
Tech Rookie

Wow, reading some of the post from you "die hard" nitro guys reminds me why I stopped racing. Do you guys even realize how retarded you sound yelling at the turn marshals or other drivers? IT'S JUST A FREAKIN HOBBY! Get over yourselves. You're not Adam Drake. The world is not going to end if you don't finish first. It's supposed to be fun, but you jackasses manage to suck every ounce of fun from it.

If you like nitro, just enjoy it and leave the electric guys alone. Honestly I think you guys are just butt sore and don't realize that you're the ones sounding like women and children. And I've raced electric and nitro, so I know the pros and cons of both. No one is "forcing" electric down your throat. Just because it's gaining popularity now and the battery and motor tech has finally surpassed nitro in power doesn't mean you guys aren't going to be able to race anymore. Plus, you guys have had the limelight for the past 10 years or more, so quit your whining.

You can keep your smell, noise, and mess.
killjoyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Actually killjoyken, This was posted in the Nitro Off-Road Forum.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #40
Tech Rookie

I know it's in the nitro section. It still doesn't mean you guys can't be civil. My post wasn't directed at all nitro guys, just the arrogant, self-centered primates that immediately started bashing electric.

Maybe next time you guys should just have a mod move the post instead of attacking the guy who posted?
killjoyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
the day I convert mt rc8 to electric will be the day I get out of rc. Which will be never
carkingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
I am 100% nitro.
The battery powered ones simply just dont "do it" for me, at ALL.
To have comparable runtimes (45min mains) how big and expensive of a battery would you need?
Pitting to swap abattery would take a seemingly absurd amount of time.
If nitro gets too expensive (I have 2 cases w00t) I will get out of teh hobby before running a battery powered r/c vehicle.
Zero interest in it, and if the mags and people keep shoving it down peoples throats, its going to detract from the nitro interest, which is what got the hobby as popular as it is today and perhaps hurt its popularity in the long run. They always point out the pros of battery power and the negatives of nitro. I did like the article I think xtreme r/c cars did on a 1/8th lipo conversion that got a 6 minute runtime though
If you dig them, great, they are just not my cup of tea.

Excatly.......
1RC_ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There are a lot of misconceptions about electric 1/8's. I think as more nitro guys experience them the attitudes will change.

Ease of Conversion: Very easy. For most setups, there is absolutely no fabrication required and if you can turn a screw driver, you can convert your nitro to electric in about 15 to 30 minutes tops. Most of the kits people use now are direct bolt on to factory layouts. No drilling, cutting, or fabricating.

Cost: It cost about the same to build a RACE SPEC 1/8 electric as it does a nitro. However, electric will be cheaper in the long run because you do not have continuous fuel cost and the motors last longer. If you are just bashing, then nitro will be cheaper.

Runtime: A good setup will get you 15 minutes of runtime under race conditions, probably up 10 additional minutes just bashing. Some setups you can get 20 minutes. Some have even gotten 30 minutes straight on smaller/less demanding tracks.

Tuning: Electric still requires tuning, but it is more about refining your ESC settings/gearing/suspension as opposed to the motor. You will still need to tinker to get the best performance out of the car, just in a different way.

Performance: No contest here. A typical electric will out perform even the most modded, pro spec'd car without trying. For electric racers, the challenge is making the car slower so it is comparable to nitros. The acceleration will be about 2-3x as fast as a comparable nitro. You can make the top end whatever you want depending on voltage and motor choice.

The acceleration advantage means electric cars can jump stuff with short run ups that nitros only dream about.

Once you actually drive a race setup electric 1/8, you will see why they are such a big deal.

Brake Bias: You can have brake bias if you want. However, most of us have found it isn't necessary, but plenty of people set up mechanical braking if preferred.

Clutches: Again, the direct drive is an advantage. However, there are some setups with clutches if you prefer a softer acceleration or more controlled torque.

Noise: Yeah, electric is pretty quiet, especially if you use a plastic spur. However, the steel on steel gears can get noisy in a quiet residential street. At the end of the day, the electric cars really do lack some of the soul of nitro with the noise and smoke. However, I think the other performance qualities of electric out weigh the smoke/noise issue. In my mind it is noise and smoke vs clearing 35 foot triples with a five feet of run up.

Pit Stops: Most of the electric guys I know really don't care about pitting. A lot of us feel 45 minute races are stupid to begin with but that is another debate. It takes about 15-20 secs to swap a battery. If we felt it were necessary, you could have pit stops with electric. Personally, I don't see the point, but I digress. When I have raced with nitros we just bring our cars in for 7 to 10 seconds to simulate a pit stop. Keeps everyone happy.

Flameouts: We don't have flameouts, but if your setup is wrong you car can go nuclear. The ESC can thermal, you can fry your expensive batteries, the motor can overheat. We have to baby it to in a lot of instances and watch our temps. Every electric guy I know is taking temps constantly just like the nitro guys. We just overheat in a different way.

Many of us electric guys may get over zealous about this stuff because it is cool and it is where the hobby is headed. Most of us just want to race and drive our cars. Nothing more. Electric 1/8s got me back into a hobby I hadn't though about in 20 years because owning a nitro would have been too much of an inconvenience. However, as I drive my car and other guys in their mid 20s and 30s see mine, how it performs and that it doesn't have the nitro drawbacks, they are getting back into the hobby which I think is nothing but positive.

Most of the guys at my local track think the electric cars are cool and everyone just wants to have FUN. However, I have seen a few nitro guys mumbling and talking smack until we want to race with them.... then the crying starts about the advantages of electric. You either can drive or you can't, regardless of your power plant. But again, at the end of the day it is about having a good time.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions about electric 1/8's. I think as more nitro guys experience them the attitudes will change.

Ease of Conversion: Very easy. For most setups, there is absolutely no fabrication required and if you can turn a screw driver, you can convert your nitro to electric in about 15 to 30 minutes tops. Most of the kits people use now are direct bolt on to factory layouts. No drilling, cutting, or fabricating.

Cost: It cost about the same to build a RACE SPEC 1/8 electric as it does a nitro. However, electric will be cheaper in the long run because you do not have continuous fuel cost and the motors last longer. If you are just bashing, then nitro will be cheaper.

Runtime: A good setup will get you 15 minutes of runtime under race conditions, probably up 10 additional minutes just bashing. Some setups you can get 20 minutes. Some have even gotten 30 minutes straight on smaller/less demanding tracks.

Tuning: Electric still requires tuning, but it is more about refining your ESC settings/gearing/suspension as opposed to the motor. You will still need to tinker to get the best performance out of the car, just in a different way.

Performance: No contest here. A typical electric will out perform even the most modded, pro spec'd car without trying. For electric racers, the challenge is making the car slower so it is comparable to nitros. The acceleration will be about 2-3x as fast as a comparable nitro. You can make the top end whatever you want depending on voltage and motor choice.

The acceleration advantage means electric cars can jump stuff with short run ups that nitros only dream about.

Once you actually drive a race setup electric 1/8, you will see why they are such a big deal.

Brake Bias: You can have brake bias if you want. However, most of us have found it isn't necessary, but plenty of people set up mechanical braking if preferred.

Clutches: Again, the direct drive is an advantage. However, there are some setups with clutches if you prefer a softer acceleration or more controlled torque.

Noise: Yeah, electric is pretty quiet, especially if you use a plastic spur. However, the steel on steel gears can get noisy in a quiet residential street. At the end of the day, the electric cars really do lack some of the soul of nitro with the noise and smoke. However, I think the other performance qualities of electric out weigh the smoke/noise issue. In my mind it is noise and smoke vs clearing 35 foot triples with a five feet of run up.

Pit Stops: Most of the electric guys I know really don't care about pitting. A lot of us feel 45 minute races are stupid to begin with but that is another debate. It takes about 15-20 secs to swap a battery. If we felt it were necessary, you could have pit stops with electric. Personally, I don't see the point, but I digress. When I have raced with nitros we just bring our cars in for 7 to 10 seconds to simulate a pit stop. Keeps everyone happy.

Flameouts: We don't have flameouts, but if your setup is wrong you car can go nuclear. The ESC can thermal, you can fry your expensive batteries, the motor can overheat. We have to baby it to in a lot of instances and watch our temps. Every electric guy I know is taking temps constantly just like the nitro guys. We just overheat in a different way.

Many of us electric guys may get over zealous about this stuff because it is cool and it is where the hobby is headed. Most of us just want to race and drive our cars. Nothing more. Electric 1/8s got me back into a hobby I hadn't though about in 20 years because owning a nitro would have been too much of an inconvenience. However, as I drive my car and other guys in their mid 20s and 30s see mine, how it performs and that it doesn't have the nitro drawbacks, they are getting back into the hobby which I think is nothing but positive.

Most of the guys at my local track think the electric cars are cool and everyone just wants to have FUN. However, I have seen a few nitro guys mumbling and talking smack until we want to race with them.... then the crying starts about the advantages of electric. You either can drive or you can't, regardless of your power plant. But again, at the end of the day it is about having a good time.
Very well put, the technology continues to improve and who really knows what we will be running in 5 years whether its lipo or nitro. What i can tell you is that this brings alot of excitement to our hobby and many more enthusiasts that were nervous about getting into nitro tuning are now trying electric conversions.
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
The cost of nitro fuel is a small outlay anyhow.

I ran 3 sundays, quite a few practice tanks in the morning, then 3 qualifiers and the main, on one gallon of fuel. That's 10 bucks a weekend. Even if the price/gal doubles I'm only spending 20 bucks a week on fuel... I'd be willing to bet that 90% of those complaining spend more than that eating at fast food/restaraunts during the week. The fuel seems expensive but it's all relative. Look what an 1/8 scale buggy/truggy costs total outlay, and fuel is cheap

That said, I've seen a 1/8 brushless buggy run at my track and it rips

I'd like to know where the HECK ur buying 30% nitro fuel for $10 a gallon????
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote