R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   8ight vs. RC8 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/231682-8ight-vs-rc8.html)

revracer222 07-12-2008 04:09 PM

8ight vs. RC8

Ok guys who have either driven or owned these buggys, could you give me an honest review about these two buggys.....

please dont make this into a manufactur war, just honest reviews on them

thanks a bunch!!

dead1dave 07-12-2008 04:44 PM

I know this is not quite the answer your looking for but both are real good . I have the Losi and the handling characteristics are just flat out awsome !!!!!!!!.........there is not one thing that the car does not do for me .I have had awsome luck with mine and with a little periodic maintainence it has been bulletproof .

AAALLL my buddies are on the RC8 bandwagon right now ..........geared well , jumps well , takes the rough as good as any car , but in the 4 or 5 different ones I have driven they seem to not steer very well . I hate that . Still a good car . I see the thrill of this car wearing off already though simply because the car has not quite turned out to be as good as all the hype .

At a big race with about 150 entries I rank right about the middle of the pack.....so with me considering myself to be a average beginner to intermediate driver at this time I felt the Losi was the easiest car for me to be fast with .

revracer222 07-12-2008 04:54 PM

well i have the losi right now and i really like it, just things wear out really fast and one of the things that happen to me with that car was everytime the car would flip over it would lean out like crazy so i changed the fuel tank thinking it had a leak and pressure was getting out but that wasnt the case so i still have to figure that out, but i have been seeing a lot of RC8's at the track also so i have just been woundering how good the car acutally is?

Furadi 07-12-2008 05:04 PM

I race an 8ight and have had plenty of track time with a friends RC8. Honestly, the RC8 is easier to drive translating to faster lap times. But, it is no where near as durable as the Losi. Also, if you get an RC8 you may as well get a few upgrades while your at... The steering plate, and F shock tower need to be upgraded to aluminum. BB shocks wouldn't hurt either, AE will be releasing there own version soon. The stock shocks just aren't very plush and don't like the rough stuff.

If you get the Losi you will need to spend some time adapting to the way it drives. Then you'll need to spend some time working on chassis setup to get adjusted it to your style. The Losi is a very unforgiving, precise buggy. If you have a smooth enough hand and stay pretty relaxed in a race then the Losi will reward you. I say this because the Losi has almost twice as much ride hight then a normal buggy. That coupled with it's centralized weight makes it roll over happy if you get hot in a corner.

Both are great racing machines but atm, Losi still holds my vote for build quality and durability. AE needs to release an upgrade kit for the RC8 that includes everything that comes on the truggy. You'll notice that they fixed all of the RC8s problems on the truggy.

malik 07-13-2008 08:31 PM

I see the Eight break way more than the RC8 and the RC8 has tons of steering. I like the RC8+++++

NEMESIS44 07-13-2008 09:11 PM

I have been down right impressed with my Losi. I have been running the hell out of it all year and only broken one part that I considered premature and that was the rear brake linkage rod. I had a bent axle and a bent shock shaft but I got hit by other cars when that happened and felt fortunate to only get that damage.

I will stand behind any car that can go through a barb-wire fence and hit a tree at 30 to 35mph and only get a few dings in the body.

gasser 07-13-2008 09:47 PM

Losi!!

pdmustgt 07-14-2008 02:13 AM

I still remember the Losi bandwagon then everyone dumped them too went back to Jammin buggy.

I just got a RC8 on the 2nd of this month. It flat out handles very well I'm still using the base setup.

vladconnery 07-14-2008 04:30 AM

I have had my losi kit for about a week. I have yet to experience the "twitchy" buggy that I keep reading about. I bet if you set up the buggy for precision driving pro set up it is twitchy. A pro's hands are steady as a rock. When most novice shake like 4 cups of coffee on an empty stomach. So they probally do experience twitchy buggy syndrome. This is my 3rd buggy I think it corners like its on rails.

When I was buggy shopping my choices were the losi, mugen and RC8. I eliminated the RC8 early on strictly on what I heard. Bad descion on my part. I bet its probally an equally good buggy in the right hands. They do need to come out with a R kit though. I did not choose the mugen because there new buggy will be out before the end of the year. I didnt want to be a model behind in less than 6 months.

All and all if you can drive good any buggy is going to be a good buggy. Pretty much top of the line buggys mugen, losi, associated, xray and kyosho are very similar in design. They all steal from each others design. Just a personal note it aint stealing if its proven to work. Its just putting out a good product.

you chose 2 good buggy's pick one and spend your time racing and not debating.:tire:

KSimmonds 07-14-2008 05:08 AM

I have both the losi and the associated. For my style driving the RC8 just fits better, but the losi is a great car as well.

I notice with the losi, while it corners very well, I can't make adjustments mid corner, it seems to follow the initial line even if I try to turn in sharper. On one hand, this makes the losi feel very planted in the corner, but on the other mid corner adjustments are not very responsive. On the positive side for the losi, short run jumps are more easily navigated successfully [IMO] as the car seems to plant the power slightly better than the RC8.

The RC8 tends to need a little help on low traction tracks to be as planted as the losi, at least from the "stock" setup in my experience. I have the service pack on mine as well as the updated tank, but no aftermarket parts at all. I have yet to break anything, so I am not a believer of the theory that you need the alum. parts to bullet proof this car.

Both cars have a lot of "pop" off jumps, but with the shock mods a lot of people are doing to the RC8, I think the edge in the rough has to go to the RC8.

There are several "mods" people are doing with the RC8 such as the RTR shock caps, drilled pistons, steering mod...etc. With these in place the car turns excellent, jumps as good- if not better- than any car, and soaks up the rough with ease.

DOMIT 07-14-2008 06:29 AM

I've only owned the Losi... I have friends who have had both.

If you are a beginning driver, probably NEITHER is the right car. Yes, they both handle and jump well... both are VERY precise and VERY athletic cars, and with the right driver either is very fast.

However, they are also both a bit on the edgy side. They will FEEL very fast, but if you look at your lap times you won't be very consistant. Both react instantly to whatever control input you give- perfect for an expert that can extract the maximum from them, not so great for a new driver. Both are capable of "biting" you because they're so precise.

If you are just getting into buggies... I suggest one of 3 cars:

Mugen MBX5/MBX5 ProSpec, or MBX5R. The MBX5R is the latest and best, but ANY of those is a great beginner car. The R turns a bit better and has more suspension travel, but all 3 of those are as stable and forgiving as anything you can possibly get.

Jammin X1X or X1CR (the X is newer, the differences are miniscule- essentially spiral cut gears, and the X1X comes with the super big bore shocks, the X1CR initially didn't.) This is the car I would take as a compromise- it is not AS stable and forgiving as the Mugen, but turns better and is lighter and more athletic.

Kyosho SP2 or WC. (there are minor differences, but the only one that really matters is the extra hole in the WC rear shock tower to run the camber link inside and long.) A little less planted than the Jammin, but still a great car... they are so similar that some parts interchange!

Semple 07-14-2008 07:28 AM

Just get the 8ight. Locktite the screw that holds the pistons ontop of the shock shafts, locktite the pins into the driveshafts, get some CVD condoms if they ever come back into stock anywhere.

Have fun.

largeorangefont 07-14-2008 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by DOMIT (Post 4634401)
If you are a beginning driver, probably NEITHER is the right car. Yes, they both handle and jump well... both are VERY precise and VERY athletic cars, and with the right driver either is very fast.

However, they are also both a bit on the edgy side. They will FEEL very fast, but if you look at your lap times you won't be very consistant. Both react instantly to whatever control input you give- perfect for an expert that can extract the maximum from them, not so great for a new driver. Both are capable of "biting" you because they're so precise.

I totally disagree, at least for the RC8 for which I have personal experience. With a standard setup the car is extremely easy to drive, and not twitchy at all. I've let a couple Novice truggy guys run my car, and they both wanted to sell their truggies immidiately. Niether had run a buggy before, and both looked better out on the track driving my car than driving their truggies. Both commented on how easy the car was to drive, and how much steering it had.

1RC_ROOKIE 07-14-2008 08:37 AM

Losi

Losi.......

I have no experiance with any of the other buggys. so this is a one sided opinion. I have been racing the 8ight RTR with some hop ups competitivly and this thing has been a rock, only thing i really broke was the antenna tube :lol: and the usual clutch bearing and shoes, i am still running the thin stock RTR shock towers. and after putting the stable east to drive set up in it it just feels awsome. Get the 8ight so what if people say its harder to drive, once you get some practise you be happy to have all that handling performace on tap. I would rather have to dial down the performace when its not needed than to not have it availble when its needed.

hope that helps.
Dan.

wild17 07-14-2008 09:17 AM

Well I had an RC8 from the beginning of the summer until a couple weeks ago, I decided to try a losi and yesterday was my first day on the car. And I am know completeley a losi fan! To me it was just more in the track where the ae is just a little more loose and on a rough track without big bores can be a handful (especially without the shock mods). the losi seems to center up better on the straightaway. for me I was a 3rd to 4th place car every week and yesterday first day with the losi I got my first win.