R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #46
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedybill View Post
Joe:
as a Retired CDL certified OTR driver I can tell you part of the issue with the 44 gal vs 55gal drums is the way it is classified in the Hazardous Materials charts the smaller drums are below the limit allowing you to save somewhat on shipping, much like getting 1 case of quarts shipped UPS but they will not accept shipments of a case of gallons.

I guess I don't understand the false sense of security when the total amount shipped would be the same in the example given...

Also as a LHS owner [horizon hobby dealer] I have received 2 notices this yr about the costs of nitro fuel increasing, and as it has been stated the costs of shipping has increased due to the Dept of Homeland security regulations [ie ALL truck drivers hauling hazardous materials must be fingerprinted & have a background check, costs?? in Ohio it exceeds $100, drivers responsibility]

I assume that these licensing requirements are a once a year deal (and not on a per-shipment basis) right?

And as for the olympics be responsible for the 'shortage' how the heck is that?? Someone please let us in on this secret, it alludes me how this is possible

From what I've read, the Chinese government is cracking down on air pollution in advance of the Olympcs, as well as limiting hazardous cargo going through their ports around the Olympics. Thus, the factories that produce Nitro are sufferning from a double whammy.
Comments in Bold font above.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:

And as for the olympics be responsible for the 'shortage' how the heck is that?? Someone please let us in on this secret, it alludes me how this is possible

This is an on-going problem, how the US relies on foriegn countrys for our needs, when it is or should be available in the good ole US of A

[touring car]
The reason the olympics are being blamed for the shortage is that China has put production restrictions on many of their chemical industries (including plants that make nitro) in an attempt to clean up the air for the Olympics. I have talked with a few athletes that went to the pre-olympics cycling events that said after they raced they had difficulty breathing and bad burning in their eyes/throats from the awful air quality. One Aussie rider said, "eh, I've raced in dirtier places."

FWIW, they (the Chinese) have also commanded all resturants in Bejing to remove dog meat from their menus.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:

This is an on-going problem, how the US relies on foriegn countrys for our needs, when it is or should be available in the good ole US of A

Because it's cheaper to have stuff made in third world countries or china then sell it under a U.S brand name. It's been done for so long and with so many things now the U.S is suffering because people want everything cheap and the import/export deficit has hurt the dollar in a big way to the point it's just not worth much. The biggest exports left from America are fast food brands, Starbucks, music and Movies.

I had this discussion with my girlfriend who is American and we went through her house in search of stuff made in America. A twenty year old safe (SOLID!), some shoes handbags and a few clothes (expensive hand made) and old wood furniture (Solid and well made). Barring food and the occasional automotive product, we couldn't find anything else. I am typing this in an Apple Mac no doubt actually made in Asia, listening to a radio made in China laying on a bed (unknown) made up with sheets made in China. I can hear next doors roofers using a Japanese generator run with fuel from the middle east. They pulled up in Toyota trucks. My AE car i will work on later was no doubt made in the east and has a french engine in it with chinese made servos. I will cook some American meat (You guys KNOW your steaks!) on a french branded but probably eastern made barbeque... i will however be drinking Root Beer made in the U.S. I love Root Beer.
My girlfriend was telling me of a friend of hers that decided to try and go a year living purely on American made products. It was impossible. I am not saying it would be possible in all developed countries by a long shot, back home can't see that being done... possibly made in Europe could be. Made in England badge dissapeared a long time ago, it used to be a real mark of quality. Point is... the world is round i guess, and getting more so as communication technology and transport improves and improves.

Anyway... the Hemet hobby shop is out of Byron (Damnit.) Nitrotane seems to be massively available, but i am told switching Byron to Nitrotane will clean out the engine of deposits left by Byron fuel leading to a loss of compression. Can anyone back this up??
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote