Search

RC Fuel Availability and Price Gouging

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

BP RACER
CALL ME AT 352-595-1350 9a-2p m-f

Last edited by coldfusionfuel1; 07-20-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

Coldfusion, sorry I just received your message today. Would tonight be a good time to call? If so when? And what time zone are you in. Im in the central time zone.

Thanx
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
Coldfusion, sorry I just received your message today. Would tonight be a good time to call? If so when? And what time zone are you in. Im in the central time zone.

Thanx
He is in the Eastern time zone. If I talk to him before he gets on here I will find out the best time for you to call and I will let you know.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blowpopracer

Thanx
Anytime after 5pm Eastern.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm familiar with fuel prices in Maryland and RI. My wife's family is from the DC area and we live in Providence. Down in DC the fuel prices have gone up. Can't find anything for 20% under $32 or so a gallon. There's some serious price gouging going on down there as well. One place, The Track, in Gaithersburg, MD, is charging $62 a gallon for their 20%. The lady who runs the place is an absolute jerk and should be put out of business. If anyone who reads this is from that area, do your best to go out of the way not to buy anything from The Track in Gaithersburg.

As far as my local place right outside of Providence, I got lucky. The owners of the store own the building and none of their inventory is ever brought on credit. They have extremely low overhead so they pass on that savings to their customers. $25 for 20% there and I just asked last week if they see it going up. Not a chance. Only problem is the olympics. Fuels made in china won't be shipping during the olympics so stock up now if you're planing on needing some during the first two to three weeks in august...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just bought 4 gallons of Byron Originals Pro Driver 3000 Race Fuel (30% nitro and 9% oil) for $27.99 each. I called around and Dynamic Hobbies in Hemet, CA had the best price within a 50 mile radius.

They use to give discounts for buying fuel by the case, but with there being a "SHORTAGE" he is no longer giving the discount at this time. Hopefully once the Olympics are over, they will resume the discounts for buying fuel by the case.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Regional Moderator

On ESPN2 last night, during the coverage of the NHRA qualifying in Seattle, Dave Rieff stated that the teams were paying $750 for 55 gallons of Nitro last year, now due to home land security they can only buy in drums of 44 gallons. Prices for Nitro were $1700 for 44 gals last week, $1800 for 44 gals this week and for the rest of the Western swing, may be $2000 for 44 gals by the US Nationals at Indy.

So even at the $2000/drum price ($45.45 per gallon of 100% Nitro), the cost of the Nitro portion for 30% glow fuel is $13.63. A year ago at the 55 gallon drum cost of $750, the cost component for 30% Nitro was $4.09.

Thus, anything more than about a $9.50 / gal increase is gouging (unless the spot market pricing is even more than $2000/drum)

Now, can anyone explain exactly how a 44 gallon drum is safer than a 55 gallon drum, given that a company would be placing orders for a similar amount? The amount of Nitro is the same, it is iust in more smaller containers.

In other words, if a company orders 220 gallons, they get 4 55 gallon drums, or 5 44 gallon drums. Obviously, the total amount is the same. More of a false sense of security? Just like you can't ship gallons, but you can ship 4 quarts.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I know we are all in pretty good shape here locally, I know Fast Track Hobbies near me is good on prices, and I know Big Boyz Toyz [not so near me >.>] is keeping a great stock and prices on fuel aswell. Hopefully the time don't change for us out here in California.

Is it true that the increased cost in Nitro is due to China halting/limiting production because of the Olympics? That's what I had been told but i've really got no clue. I run 360 nonwing sprintcars, and our price per drum on Methanol really hasnt changed too drastically the last year or two [Certainly not the kind of changes nitro is seeing] I think the methanol changed could be purely attributed to economy, and not some other outside forces. Anyways LMK would be interesting to hear
Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep, it's all the olympics fault.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Allumina
Is it true that the increased cost in Nitro is due to China halting/limiting production because of the Olympics?
Yes. Dow/Angus in the US stopped producing and selling 100% Nitro in the US a couple of years ago. Apparently, they are only shipping "cut" Nitro (mixed with other chemicals) with a limit of 55% Nitro. The pharmaceutical and agriculture industries are by far the largest consumers of nitromethane (drugs and fertilizers).

I haven't heard of drastic price increases for methanol. But like everything else, the oil prices are causing everything else to increase in cost due to shipping, etc.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Apparently, they are only shipping "cut" Nitro (mixed with other chemicals) with a limit of 55% Nitro.

Like damn drug dealers!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I say ban the olympics altogether. There are enough sports on as it is.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Not much change here yet. My LHS said it would become difficult and expensive soon. I was out of town today and stopped by a place in Ft. Wayne, IN. Had two gallons of Trinity 30% so I got one. $26/gallon just like last year. However the retail price they advertise to show how much you saved went up I think. It was $40 and I don't remember it being much more than $36 last year.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Hopefully.. soon the Nitro will go DOWN in PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
On ESPN2 last night, during the coverage of the NHRA qualifying in Seattle, Dave Rieff stated that the teams were paying $750 for 55 gallons of Nitro last year, now due to home land security they can only buy in drums of 44 gallons. Prices for Nitro were $1700 for 44 gals last week, $1800 for 44 gals this week and for the rest of the Western swing, may be $2000 for 44 gals by the US Nationals at Indy.

So even at the $2000/drum price ($45.45 per gallon of 100% Nitro), the cost of the Nitro portion for 30% glow fuel is $13.63. A year ago at the 55 gallon drum cost of $750, the cost component for 30% Nitro was $4.09.

Thus, anything more than about a $9.50 / gal increase is gouging (unless the spot market pricing is even more than $2000/drum)

Now, can anyone explain exactly how a 44 gallon drum is safer than a 55 gallon drum, given that a company would be placing orders for a similar amount? The amount of Nitro is the same, it is iust in more smaller containers.

In other words, if a company orders 220 gallons, they get 4 55 gallon drums, or 5 44 gallon drums. Obviously, the total amount is the same. More of a false sense of security? Just like you can't ship gallons, but you can ship 4 quarts.

Joe:
as a Retired CDL certified OTR driver I can tell you part of the issue with the 44 gal vs 55gal drums is the way it is classified in the Hazardous Materials charts the smaller drums are below the limit allowing you to save somewhat on shipping, much like getting 1 case of quarts shipped UPS but they will not accept shipments of a case of gallons.

Also as a LHS owner [horizon hobby dealer] I have received 2 notices this yr about the costs of nitro fuel increasing, and as it has been stated the costs of shipping has increased due to the Dept of Homeland security regulations [ie ALL truck drivers hauling hazardous materials must be fingerprinted & have a background check, costs?? in Ohio it exceeds $100, drivers responsibility]

And as for the olympics be responsible for the 'shortage' how the heck is that?? Someone please let us in on this secret, it alludes me how this is possible

This is an on-going problem, how the US relies on foriegn countrys for our needs, when it is or should be available in the good ole US of A

off soap box for now,

oh yeah while I'm on the subject, Jack at jacos has had problems getting his stuff out of China also, thus a 'shortage' of his new & improved rubber tires [touring car]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.