R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default losi 8

what is the trick to filling shock mine all rebound differently should they rebound at all? also rear diff cups keep going out wich is problem cuz evertime it does ring gear and pinio gear are shot that's almost fourty bucks happen three times in last weekend have hd diff cups coming will that fix it? also shock shafts keep pulling out even after being lock tited in any suggest o and I set my drop limters to what the three times also last weekend
mixedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Tech Elite

If your shock o-rings are good, fill up the shocks with oil all the way near the top. Get all the air bubbles out by slowly moving the shaft up the body without pulling it down. When it gets near the top without going out of the oil, Slowly pull the piston down and turn slightly, a little, to let air out from under piston. This will allow big air bubbles to escape. You want to avoid tiny air bubbles as this will take longer to disapate.

Once all the air is gone, move the piston to near top about 1/4 from top of oil. Set the bladder on top(some oil will come out). then pull the shaft down about 1/8 to 1/4" (this will suck the bladder to the body). Then screw the cap on. then tighten without letting the shaft to pressure down ie hold the shaft from moving down. The shocks should be perfect every time.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Tech Elite

The diff cups? Meaning the plastic housing for the side and spider gears? If that is the case, is the slots for the pins notching? It will happen with these diff cups. But I never had them take ring and pinions out. I guess if the diff explodes then it can do it. The HD diff cases will help your problem. Ids it the front? rear? or center? having problems?

Just to be sure what you are talking about, what is the part # your having a problem with?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedguy View Post
I set my drop limters to what the three times also last weekend

Say again please.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
also shock shafts keep pulling out even after being lock tited in any suggest o
Thread the small screw thru the piston 1st. Clean the threads of the screw and the shock shaft with cleaner. Aplly thread lock to the threads in the shaft and assemble.

If you apply the threadlock to the screw, then thread it thru the piston, then the threadlock wipe away from the threads of the screw.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (99%+)

Also once put together let them stand abit before putting them back in the car. I always let mine sit over night, but sometimes you can't do that. If it is a rebuild, I think the biggest key is to make sure all the oil is cleaned out of the shaft and off the screw.

As far as shock rebound goes. I always built mine to slightly rebound, I built them basically the way described above. But last year at the midwest gas champs at CRCRC Mike Truhe was in our tent and one of the guys I was with ask him about building shocks, he built one for us. He filled it to the top, put on the bladder and capped it. It rebounded dam near like it had a spring on it. He claimed that is the way they build them. I've tried it and I liked it, it made the car react alot faster that is for sure.
kd2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Default thanks

yea I am talikg about diff housing when it gets notches in it.it was rear I am putting hd hosing in all three diffs and as far as shocks did truhe let air bubbles out or bleed shocks or just fill put blatter on and tighten down?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Default more ?

wich clutch springs will give u most punch also what sway bar is what thickness i have all of them but dont know what color is what thikness can not find info
Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
wich clutch springs will give u most punch also what sway bar is what thickness i have all of them but dont know what color is what thikness can not find info

the stiffest clutch spring is Silver.......u should be able to tell which is which from matching up the ends on the bars.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2777 View Post
He filled it to the top, put on the bladder and capped it.

Do you mean that he pulled the shaft to teh bottom, filled the oil to the very top level of the shock then added the bladder and put on the cap?
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

thats the way i do it......Fill the shock up.....work out the bubbles....make sure its full enuff so there's NO air between the blatter and oil and cap it with the piston at the very bottom.......my shocks normally rebound pretty close to each other.....1-2mm's is no biggie imo
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
thats the way i do it......Fill the shock up.....work out the bubbles....make sure its full enuff so there's NO air between the blatter and oil and cap it with the piston at the very bottom.......my shocks normally rebound pretty close to each other.....1-2mm's is no biggie imo
Good to know. Thanks.
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote