R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Modded motors and reliability !

Wow !!! Some of the guys who have been running my motors have been getting some flack from a local racer who claims modded motors are unreliable and hard on fuel...Anyways sitting here thinking about this big loudmouth kind of pisses me off as I am never at the track when he shoots his mouth off...

Anyways so far I have found my own modified engines to be amazing on fuel and very reliable..It is not uncommon to to have glowplugs last well over 1 gallon in the modifieds... I will admit when I modify timing to the extreme some motors can become pickier on tune and setup, but nothing a little test and tune cannot figure out... All in all the only reliability issues I am finding is trying to keep a clutch from blowing apart from all the HP..... Also I have found a heavy modded motor is more sensitive to air leaks or poor fuel delivery..... But as for core reliability the modifieds are every bit as reliable as stock, they idle better, run stronger and get better fuel mileage....I just think this guy had his motors modified by the wrong people and wrongly assumes all modifieds are the same

So does anyone else here think modified engines are unreliable and a waste of money ? Or is everyone like me and feel modifieds are the way to go ? what is everyone's experience with modified motors ?

Last edited by Maximo; 07-07-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't know if you saw my thread ( inside pic's of my modded 3port rb) anyway i am a rookie modder only do my stuff and i vote mod all the way mine screams and i have alittle over a gallon of gen2 ran since the mod and i get 2-3 more laps than my buds 21 v-spec
mfroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Some mod motors can be unreliable. I have seen some onroad cranks done by one of the BIG names in motor building that looked amazing and ran like nothing else but they also broke within a gallon. Of course these were not the cranks he sold to the public, those are almost stock.

If you go too far on the timing or screw up the top surface of the intake ports (short circuiting the engine as some call it) then it will be hard to tune and drink tons of fuel.

A motor that's done right should last at least as long as a stock motor and run better.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Oh, and if a good motor builder tells you to run a certain pipe with his motor, RUN THAT PIPE.

I'm not saying you can't experiment with other pipes but a high timed mod motor is more sensitive to exhaust harmonics. That odd ball el cheapo pipe that worked so well with the stock motor could be killing the performance and mileage of the mod motor.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Those guys giving the flack must be getting beat by your motors!! I have not seen any reliability problems with any modded motors I've rebuilt. Most of the problems I've seen are guys trying to rebuild motors themselves and not knowing if clearance's are bad or not spotting a bad bearing etc.

Maximo, could you post some pics of your mods again, I couldn't find the one's you posted before.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Tech Champion

I will say that every time I modify a new model of engine it does sometimes take me several attempts to find the perfect setup...The more aggressive motors I have can be picky when it comes to pipe,header,shim selection, as well they are more sensitive to airleaks and fuel supply issues... If any of these factors are are not addressed the modded motor can become a tuning nightmare...... But on the other side of the coin if your setup is good with a good consistent fuel supply with no airleaks these aggressive motors can be extremely forgiving to tune.. the key is all in the setup, on a mild timed stock motor you can tune around a mild airleak and poor fuel supply (half tank lean), but a modified motor is too sensitive to allow you to properly tune around any deficiencies...... So in a way I can understand how some people may assume a modded motor is less reliable and harder to tune....
Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Modified motors if done correctly will be just as reliable if not more reliable than stock engines. Modified engines that improve velocity and efficiency also increase lubrication with less hot spots that engines tend to have that cause irregular shaping of key componants. I have had great success with engine longevity and overall reliability on and off the track. I don't think that people should automatically assume that an engine altered from original factory specs is wrong and unreliable. Its a proven fact that factory engines are produced in a cost effictive manner to increase profit margin and are not always reliable and efficient as they are. Most times, small stratigec changes will make a huge difference in the way a motor performs and will also affect the overall reliabilty of that engine. There are alot of modders to choose from and the only advice I can give is choose one that you feel comfortable with and that you feel can answer your questions in a manner you can understand. If someone cannot explain what he or she did and why and what effects it will have, they most likely do not know themselves. Alot of you will agree and alot will disagree but I port the way I do for many reasons and will continue to do so. Thats about it on my opinion lol. Take care guys and gals!!
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well said Mark and Max. I couldn't agree more on the longevity aspect of "PROPERLY" modified engines. It also comes down to how the engine is maintained as well. Nothing will last if not maintained correctly. I always stress this to my customers when they ask me if a modified engine has a shorter lifespan then stock.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

YES!! maintenance is huge. I forgot to clearify that, thanks Adam!! I completely disassemble and inspect my engines every 2 race weekends and I inspect my clutches after every race weekend and replace clutch bearings, shoes and springs if necessary.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You guys are on time far as clutch bell bearrings where is the best place to buy them i would like to by a box so i will have them on hand.
mfroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #11
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've always found that the guys that do most of the complaining and do most of the whining are the ones that do the least maintanence and tuning. They're the ones that think RC cars should be like Hondas, get in turn the key and go, and anything further than knocking off the big hunks of dirt is beyond their rationale or expectations.

~ nuff said
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I was using the clutch bearings from A-main that come in the 10 pack for $10.00. They work good for a weekend, I've been using the new Tko radial thrust bearings and they are awesome, they cost $3.00 a peice but last more than 3 times as long.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I get the EXACT same thing. Up until a month or so ago, I was modding motors, Pro-Mod RC. We specialized in engine mods for those living at altitude, above 3000 ft. Our goal which we succeeded at was to produce better performing engines, while maintaining ease of tuning.

Our mods are/were very successful. BUT, just like you state, the majority of people are hesitant to run modified motors. They state the same old thing, unreliable, difficult to tune, short life, etc...

The most vocal against modified engines had NEVER run one. I know cause I never sold them one of my engines. Its definitely a tough market. We have GREAT success with our motors. Our mod'ed V-spec had great fuel economy and was faster than the OS Speed... People could clearly see this. Some that saw this wanted the mod. Others would argue that it wouldn't last as long as an OS speed. Well, one of my customer's modified V-Specs has over 5 gallons on it and its still running strong!

So, now I only modify motors by word of mouth and stick to pinching sleeves...

Hang in there, don't give up on it like I did!
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #14
Tech Lord

It's a lot easier in the on road market. Everyone wants more power.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #15
Tech Champion

I was never modding as anything more then a hobby anyways....

Last edited by Maximo; 07-09-2008 at 06:34 AM.