Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help, new to all this

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help, new to all this

this is my first post and my first nitro buggy, these are fantastic, but i had mine working for around 3 hours, not in one go, over 2 days, all was well until the car was refusing to connect to the transmitter? so i changed the batterys in the car and the transmitter, still no luck!! so everything is on all charged and ready to go nothing then all of a sudden as i was trying to think what was knackerd then the wheels turned, so i though that was really strange, the car was working fine again, so went to the local park/skatepark to do some jumps and stuff, going around the bowl with the car, made a jump out, landed it quite softly, then it took off,... f***ing gone no steering or throttle control hit a fence, not too hard because of long grass just before the fence.

took it home to smell burning smell after switching the car on, !!! disconnected the battery etc, there is a black box with a arm for the steering - this was smoking, took it apart to find the circuit board inside was burnt and i think its burned a resister, damn car had it for 3hrs use and fooked already, i think this black box is called a 'servo' has 3 wires go into the box. Would the steering servo cause the car to shoot off and not stop ??? Is the throttle servo affected buy the steering servo? the reason i ask this is if i switch the car on ( without the steering servo) you cant control the throttle, its dead, all it does is moves a little when switching the car on, has the throttle servo gone as well???

i have seen the servo's in 3kg and 15kg etc, mine needs a 3kg and a 9kg but i pressume the 9kg servo ( the heaver one) controls the steering?

thanks for anyone who can suss this one, as i say i am new to this and dont know a great deal tbh,

thanks all
Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Rookie

forgot to add not engine problems just electrical ( HE HOPES lol )

cheers guys
Old 07-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It sounds more like a reciever problem and the first casulity was the steering servo. No, if the reciever is working properly the steering servo and throttle servo would not effect each other, at least not to the best of my knowledge.

Couple of questions...

What car is is?

What kind of radio? 2.4 system? FM or AM with crystals?

What kind of battery are you using and how many volts does it put out?
Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Rookie

hi, the car is a HBX VRX 2 buggy, it as a AM with crystals and i am running Duracell turbo battery's (x12) there is a small push in fuse type thing lol, with the frequency on it, is this the crystal, worth swapping with new one,??

cheers
Dan
Old 07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No, the "fuse" is the crystal, that let's the reciever talk to the transmitter, shouldn't be a problem with that.

Duracell turbo? Are those "AA" size? Do you know if each cell is putting out 1.2v? if so 12 of them would be 14.4v, which is WAY to much voltage for a reciever and/or servo

For example, I run a 2cell Lipo pack for my cars, at peak charge they put out 8.4v - I have to regulate it down to 6.0v (you can probably get away with 7.0v, but to be safe 6v is the best way to go.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys for help so far, the batterys are way too powerful then, there are 12 1.5volt AA batterys, as the throttle servo is not moving as well you think i have fried that one as well?

cheers
Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wait, how many batt. in the car? I think 8 in the trans. 4 in the car. Did you put any foam around the car batts? Sounds like they bounced around and hurt the recever. Did any wild jumping? Of course RTR stuff is not the greatest thing in the world. Did you get it new from the LHS? If so, take it back and be a little humble and ask for help. Mail order, your on your own. The learning curve on this stuff is steep and pricey but you'll get it and have a blast.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face Oh boy.....

Sounds like you lost a component in your receiver and it shorted the load of your steering servo.

2 hints:
Do not buy a product you can't use in your next car.

If you insist on running a 4 cell receiver pack, tape the batteries in.

Good luck.
TEX
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Rookie

i might have found the problem but need a second opinion, the receiver box, that has the crystal inside, has got a high pitched rattling noise, took out the crystal, this has the rattling noise when shaken lightly, ( almost like a metal on metal sound, because its only a fiver for a new one do you think i should open it up and have alook,

the other reason why i say this could be it is i turned everything ON tapped the recevier box and it started to turn the throttle ( servo) each time i tapped it!!!!!

i am praying someone can say thats probably it, but i am not getting my hope's up lol

Dan
Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys, all sorted it was the receiver crystal and the servo burnt out due to water - says the shop

thanks for your help
ATB
Dan