R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Rook in need of advice (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/230626-rook-need-advice.html)

vladconnery 07-06-2008 06:05 PM

Rook in need of advice

Ok it's already been established I'm a rook to racing. I'm about to purchase my first race buggy. I already have my engine RBS3 L2G, Rx and Tx Ive broken it down to 3 choices.

Mugen MBX5, LOSI 8IGHT, RC8

Some say I should start with something lesser did that got an XTM. Kicking myself for not spending my money on a good buggy from the begining. Might of fact that is my second Buggy the 1st one was an ebay offbrand special. I want my choice to be based on.

1. Durability
2. Handling
3. Parts availability LHS carries all 3 and more.

Could some seasoned vets who have maybe owned 1 or 2 or all 3 chime in with some good advice. I chose these because they all seem to be constant winners. I know that has more to do with the driver. However good drivers choose good rides. Thanks for your input.

wes95_z28 07-06-2008 06:12 PM

For a noob, go with the mugen, the losi and associated will be a handful for you, hell there a handful for some very experienced guys.

Not to mention the Mugen is probably the most reliable of those 3.

Also make sure you can get parts for it at the track you plan on racing at, nothing is more frustrating than having a simple 2 or 3 dollar part break, wear out or whatever and end you night simply because you cant get parts.

imaxx21 07-06-2008 06:16 PM

another vote for the mugen

easy to drive, very durable, and simple to work on

jamminnay 07-06-2008 07:00 PM

i prefer the jammin myself.. but make sure to check the guys around your track and see what they run. having help with what brand you choose is a must

TC3ElectricGuy 07-06-2008 09:27 PM

i was watching a Mugen at the track yesterday and it was probably one of the nicest and well behaved cars on the track. it defimately jumped the cleanest.

the jammin is another world renown car and a lot of people drive these cars at our track.

thecman26 07-07-2008 12:51 AM

OK for a newbie you want something simple to set up and run...
Learn how to drive before you have to worry about set-ups...
Does that sound right?

Well if thats correct I say buy the Losi 8ight!
I have one and I am a newb as well...

The losi is awesome, throw one setup on it and it will work at almost any track. I have been to races at many different tracks and the same set-up worked fantastic at all of them. I haven't broke anything serious, just had 1 diff go out due to poor maintenence on my behalf.

Durability? Just carry some clutch bearings and a spare clutch bell and your good!

Handling? Handles excellently! Not really a "handfull"... Its actually fun to drive!

Since your LHS has parts available.. You should be good to go!

I would also vote for the Jammin as a second option

tex1 07-07-2008 05:47 AM

all around best car of these 3.....

The Mugen is an old platform. Be prepaired to be outdated very quick. It is a pound heavier than the other two.

The AE car is going through major revisions and it is a hand full.

Almost every driver that I have seen come from another car to the Losi thought the 8ight was faster. It is lighter, more athletic and not going to go out of date. It is very durable as well. Tone down the box setup. It is edgy for some to drive.
Go 8ight and you won't be disappointed.
There are things to look at and consider if you go this route to race. Read the forum thread. All of it. Get you a pad of paper, a pen and a Coke. It will take a while. There is a ton of good info on there. Ask if you need any information.
TEX
:deathstar <---- Not done yet.

Furadi 07-07-2008 07:10 AM

Only thing I can say about the Mugen is that our local 'fast' guy used to drive one. He got an 8ight and is never going back.

I own an 8ight and have had plenty of track time with a friends RC8.

Out of the box the RC8 will be more friendly to the rookie. It's very well behaved and easy to go fast with. I do feel that it isn't as durable as the Losi. The build quality of the kit is also lacking. Plan to rebuild the RC8 if you go that route.

The Losi on the other hand is ready to go out of the box, no adjustments needed. Unlike the RC8 you will need time to get used to the way it handles. It drives like an on road touring car and can be twitchy depending on setup.

That being said, once you learn it and figure out a setup that works for you, (this could take some time) then I believe its a faster buggy than the RC8.

Here at our local track we have about 4 RC8's now and like 5 8ights. The RC8 guys have upgraded from sportwerks and Hypers... While they have gotten faster they still can't compete with us guys that run 8ights. I think a lot of it has to do with our track being so rough, the RC8 isn't suited to that.

AssocRacer 07-07-2008 08:06 AM

Go with the Jammin....best bang for the buck for a noob. Most hobby shops carry parts for it, and it's fairly inexpensive for an 1/8th scale. You can get them used and in good condition for a good price too. I read an article that was done about a year or so ago in a magazine, and they took 8 buggies and pitted them up against each other. The Kyosho came out on top of course, but a CLOSE second was the Jammin. I have one and I love it. I went to the Jammin website, looked up the latest set up, made sure the buggy matched that set up, and it's been HOOKED UP at every track i've raced it at. The only changes i've made have been to the sway bars and tires. Good buggy for a newb!

ezveedub 07-07-2008 08:28 AM

I recommend the Mugen. Rock solid and easy dirive. Can be pushed without getting upset. I setup a friend's R this weekend and he finished 1st in the 20min sportsman class A main.

The Losi is a great peformer along with the RC8. On those cars, I had to build or apply different setups to the cars to keep them solid, but there also very good choices also. Just make sure you can get parts for what car you choose, unless your OK with online ordering, as sometimes not every part for your car you'll find at the LHS.

allan42r 07-07-2008 01:21 PM

the jammin will cost you way more to keep on the track then the mugen
the losi is very fast if you can hold onto it
not too many ae cars going fast in the midwest
the mugen is a great performer that lasts and is easy to drive = the best choice from rookies to pros.

nsgland 07-07-2008 03:05 PM

xray

Try the new XRAY. It is built very well, strong parts, great design. The parts are so strong that you will not need many spare parts. IMO the xray is the best bang for your buck.

Neil

rc31cli 07-07-2008 03:49 PM

ok

get a cen pro i can get you one for 300 and iam one of the drivers and just got back from a tq and win this weekened.

DPowers 07-07-2008 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by rc31cli (Post 4612200)
get a cen pro i can get you one for 300 and iam one of the drivers and just got back from a tq and win this weekened.

yep he got lucky my motor was bogging.:nod: but a matrix pro if a great car you wouldnt be disappointed and they are always guys on the forum to help out.

tony montana 07-07-2008 04:22 PM

if you are just starting you want something that is gonna hold up. Get the mugen, it is probaly the strongest buggy out right now. Who cares if the mbx6 is coming out, mugen continues to support there older kit for a long time. I would get atleast a 5r thou. And the rc8 is awesome. I came from a losi to a rc8 and I was instanly faster then I was with my losi, about a second and a half a lap faster. The mugen may be a little heavier but it still wins alot of races. Go with the mugen mbx5r. The losi will be to much of a handful for you I think and the parts wear very fast, especailly the front center universal, I went threw 2 of them in 3 races. Not trying to knock the losi, I did like the car but I feel like the mugen will be better for him