Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rook in need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My vote is for the kyosho 7.5 wait before you start talking junk about it I will say, that my little 7.5 will out handle, out turn, out drive and anything else you can think of, a losi 8ight. Now I know you losi guys are going to be jumping up and down, but the truth is the truth. I have made changes to my 7.5 switched the front diff with a torsen, 4 spider gears, put the diff oil in the front the rear and the center, switched the plastic spur gear for a metal one and put a set of mp777 shocks on it. For $28.00 you can buy a set of motor mounts and run any engine you would like. Oh yeah, the 777 sway bars work on a 7.5, it just does not come with them. Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

By the time you get done spending the money basically upgrading the 7.5 to a 777 you might as well have bought the 777.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No not really money wise but yes your right about making it almost a 777 you can find them on ebay pretty cheap and if you are going to race your going to change the radio gear and engine any way and you will need to do the diffs on anything used i not saying it will be cheap but you can come out chepper this way just have to be patient and look at ebay.or your lhs for deals.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Upodating a Kyosho depends on how you shop around for parts. I picked up 3 diffs and the TCD gear set with oil for $12 plus shipping off ebay.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
I dunno, i haven't put any money into this car since i bought it and i'm pretty rough on it. I take the diffs apart and clean them up every other race day and make sure all of the bearings are working properly, and i use a little WD40 on the universals. It's like a real car, gotta maintain it. If you consider $5 for a can of WD40 and about $20 worth of diff fluid expensive to maintian, then i guess you're right. Only problem i've had is the POS OS VG engine that i wish i would have never bought. OS has really gone down the tubes since they discontinued the RG and the CV series motors.
wow i hope you can come down to joliet for the pro series cause i just gotta see this amazing ofna car that never wears out ANY parts on it. you maybe right as always but ill be the one with a orange, white,and black mugen with the number 42r on it.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'd go with the Mugen
Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

I personally like the Mugen over all the other buggies for many reasons, and the big reason is durability!

for a rook, the Mugen is hands down the best buggy to buy, and for an experienced driver, the mugen is the best buggy to buy hands down LOL

and be prepared for the new mugen to come out here shortly, so if you can wait, it will be worth the wait fo sho!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

allen i agree with you when you say the ofna arms oe wear out.. i have raced my jammin all year and have had to replace the arms once already. i dont mind changing them when i can buy a whole set of front arms for 8 bucks.. parts wear is common on all 8th scales from what i can see. the mugen does hold up well from what i have seen.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

yep keep in mind i did like my jammin so im not bashing this car, but the only things i saw running it thru the winter indoor and the outdoor season was the metal and plastic wear.the uni's what burned me, you cant rebuild them like the k cars. on the other cars you can rebuid the cvd and save yourself money.the outdrives wear fast so you run the k car ones,but still the diff gears dont last long. ive run the jammin,mugen,my buddy did run the losi,and going back to what this thread was about,not a $5 can of wd40 or what works best for my car that sets on the bench,was the advice for a rook on what buggy.
easy to drive=jammin,k car,and the mugen
durability=mugen
overall cost with m/r=mugen
or you could buy a jammin and move to wis cause i hear they last a long time up there in cheese land.lol
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'm a total newbie to racing also. I bought a Jammin truggy. Not a bad truck if you want to plow through turns like a farm tractor. I bought an 8T Losi and love it. Everybody says they are twicthy and wear out. Not mine. I liked it so much I bought a Losi 8ight buggy. First buggy I ever bought or raced. I now have two. Heard the same crap, they fall apart, they are loose, bad plastic, bad diffs. etc.. The steering does get loose, just buy some extra ackerman arm bushings. The A arms have some slop, but it does not affect the cars performance. The car can be twitchy, but there are different setups available right off the website that are stable and easy to drive. That's what I have in mine and I'm not having issues other than I just can't get out enought to race. I probably have 3 gallons on this car, and other than clutch bearings, some other misc bearings went, the car has been bullet proof. The only hop-ups I have are the King Headz radio tray brace, aluminum inserts for the center and rear diffs. and CVD condoms. There might be $40 total in extra money spent. I just ordered the no pop rod ends for I think $3-$4 from TiltedRc just to be safe. The leaking shocks and CVD pins coming out have been addressed at the factory and fixed from the first batch. I go through the whole car once every month. For all the bad mouthing the Losi gets, it's the most popular car at any track I go to. They must be doing something right.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by allan42r
yep keep in mind i did like my jammin so im not bashing this car, but the only things i saw running it thru the winter indoor and the outdoor season was the metal and plastic wear.the uni's what burned me, you cant rebuild them like the k cars. on the other cars you can rebuid the cvd and save yourself money.the outdrives wear fast so you run the k car ones,but still the diff gears dont last long. ive run the jammin,mugen,my buddy did run the losi,and going back to what this thread was about,not a $5 can of wd40 or what works best for my car that sets on the bench,was the advice for a rook on what buggy.
easy to drive=jammin,k car,and the mugen
durability=mugen
overall cost with m/r=mugen
or you could buy a jammin and move to wis cause i hear they last a long time up there in cheese land.lol
Dude, i'm just sayin that all these problems i've been hearing you guys say about the Jammin i don't see. I just took it apart last night and cleaned it up and didn't notice any problems with it. I did replace the front diff case cause two of the mounting screws had stripped the holes out. As far as the universals, i think that they are the same as the K car. I know alot of guys buy the K car ones for it. You may be able to use the parts from the K car to replace the joints. Dunno, never tried it.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
Dude, i'm just sayin that all these problems i've been hearing you guys say about the Jammin i don't see. I just took it apart last night and cleaned it up and didn't notice any problems with it. I did replace the front diff case cause two of the mounting screws had stripped the holes out. As far as the universals, i think that they are the same as the K car. I know alot of guys buy the K car ones for it. You may be able to use the parts from the K car to replace the joints. Dunno, never tried it.
Yes, you can use the Kyosho front and rear CVDs. For the centers, I use the Hyper 8 aluminum "dogbones." (lower rotating mass!)

Yes, the Jammin parts wear faster than the Kyosho ones... and the Hyper parts wear pretty fast on the centers too... but they're cheap to replace. (the Hyper stuff)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As you can see, you will get a lot of responses from guys that have some % of a ride from a specific company, they are supposed be selling the product that supports them. (that's cool). I have no support other than my credit card! I own a Losi 8 and a Mugen MBX5R and have spent a lot of time driving an RC8 also. FOR A BEGGINER, I believe the Mugen is the way to go. It's forgiving, durable, easy to work on, and there will be parts available even with MBX6 comming out. I still own my 8 but I never drive it, I run the Mugen 100% of the time for the reasons I listed. If you are the type of driver that likes feeling on the edge the 8 might be for you, if you like the feeling of more control the Mugen is for you. The RC8 is nice but has durablilty probs from what I have experienced. But hey the X-ray & Jammin' are nice too, but you did't mention them in your 3 choices
And for the record the Mugen is 4.9 oz heavier than the RC8 and 10.45 oz heavier than the Losi, but if your not planning on running the NATS any time soon, don't let that bother you.
Good luck
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slidejob26
As you can see, you will get a lot of responses from guys that have some % of a ride from a specific company, they are supposed be selling the product that supports them. (that's cool). I have no support other than my credit card! I own a Losi 8 and a Mugen MBX5R and have spent a lot of time driving an RC8 also. FOR A BEGGINER, I believe the Mugen is the way to go. It's forgiving, durable, easy to work on, and there will be parts available even with MBX6 comming out. I still own my 8 but I never drive it, I run the Mugen 100% of the time for the reasons I listed. If you are the type of driver that likes feeling on the edge the 8 might be for you, if you like the feeling of more control the Mugen is for you. The RC8 is nice but has durablilty probs from what I have experienced. But hey the X-ray & Jammin' are nice too, but you did't mention them in your 3 choices
And for the record the Mugen is 4.9 oz heavier than the RC8 and 10.45 oz heavier than the Losi, but if your not planning on running the NATS any time soon, don't let that bother you.
Good luck
Actually the Xray would be my choice hands down if it was not $150 more than the LOSI. Its actually the buggy I want the most but being this is my 1st race buggy its going to take a beating. poor buggy lets all pour out a lil liquor for the buggy I choose. I can't imagine my 1st racer having a long and prosperous life. The Xray is something a rook needs to work his way up to.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default 808

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Actually the Xray would be my choice hands down if it was not $150 more than the LOSI. Its actually the buggy I want the most but being this is my 1st race buggy its going to take a beating. poor buggy lets all pour out a lil liquor for the buggy I choose. I can't imagine my 1st racer having a long and prosperous life. The Xray is something a rook needs to work his way up to.
Go with the XRAY. You will not be sorry. It is the best built buggy out there. Great quality and very durable. Not to often will you need to replace any parts. Jumps fantastic and rolls through a bumpy track like it was asphault. I would say it would be a great buggy for a rookie.

Neil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.