Wiki Posts
Search

AE RC8 v.s. Xray 808

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default AE RC8 v.s. Xray 808

Hello, people.

I am about to get a new vehicle, and I just can't come up with a solid decision yet... So I am here for asking advice from experts.

I am debating between RC8 FT kit and Xray 808. I know both kits are high end and awesome. First I thought of getting RC8 since there are more set-up date avaialble but some people say 808 is the best car out in the market for now.. The more I research, the more headache I am getting!

The price is not an issue since I have to pay about the same amount for both RC8 and 808.

If there is someone who already experieced both cars and know Pros/Cons of each kit, your advice will be very helfpul.. Please don't bring this to a new brand war thread.. Just your honest feedback of each kit is what I am asking for here.

FYI, I will be running a car at a local track and it's a low grip and short-medium size track with more technical turns.

Thank you!.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I have driven both and own the 808. I believe it comes down to driving style. The RC8 jumps like a gazelle. But IMO the 808 will turn inside ANYTHING! Corner speed is the key to victory. Also, even though the 808 is a bit more, the parts quality is top notch. I have spent lttle on parts and havnt used any of them. You cant go wrong either way.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Cool

RC8 Test
http://www.revver.com/video/413891/t...gy-track-test/

808 Test
http://www.revver.com/video/859916/x...us-track-test/

hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have owned both. The RC8 is very easy to drive fast. I had one of the first ones so I had a problems with the hinge pins popping off. The diffs leak. Parts are very easy to get around here. The car gets very sloppy quick. The stock setup is very good.

The 808 is harder to drive but when I chill out it flies. When it gets hit by other cars it is easily upset. The bearings are junk and need to be replaced fairly regularly. Parts are harder to come by but it doesn't really break. My 808 has 3 gallons on it and it has very little slop, about what the RC8 had when new. When building it use Rocco's setup, the stock one sucks.

After owning both I like the Xray better.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I have owned both and currently have the rc8 now. Both cars are very durable. The xray would have to get a higher score for sure on rough track handling due to its kit big bore shocks, I feel the rc8 will be a much better car once its big bores are released. As far as steering goes I think both cars can have as much as you want. Be prepared to spend way more money on the xray though as it caries a higher kit price and you are going to have to spend even more if you want to adjust rear toe, antisqaut, front kick up, and front castor. All of these adjustments are in the box of the rc8. The xray is definitely a luxury buggy but it comes at a premium. Something I keep finding to be a big role when settling into a buggy for me is parts availability. Here in Dallas,Tx there is only 1 hobby shop that supports the xray as to where all the hobby shops keep parts for the rc8. Hope this helps some.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I'd go rc8, associated's customer support is 2nd to none. And you can get the rc8 for about 170.00 cheaper, which you can get tires or spares. I havent had my rc8 very long but, It is the best handling car I have ever owned, and I have owned alot of 1/8 buggies, but I havent driven a 808. A buddy of mine had a rc8 and sold it for the 808, but has since went back to the rc8 and he says he is faster than ever with the rc8. The box setup is awseome out of the box. And you will be able to get rc8 parts anywhere and alot cheaper. Check out tiltiedrc.com. I got mine from there for 430.00 shipped with the service pack
Old 07-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

A local X-Ray sponcered racer around here is having all kinds of
troubles with his 808 diff's grenading.

Almost two gallons on my RC8 and I know they build the diff's
right. No leaks, and like brand new inside. Then again, I clean
and re-oil after every weekend.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm about 2 gallons into my RC8 RTR, i switched the motor out for an OS with in the first gallon. Ive changed my clutch bearings 3 times, i set of fiber clutch shoes, the rear shock bushings have been changed twice and front bushings once. I noticed my steering bearings were gritty this week and come to find out they were seized right on the steering posts so i had to replace the steering post and bearings there also. I havent broke anything on it and have finished in the top 2 at my local club track just about every weekend since i bought it. It seems like alot of little parts but they were all fairly cheap and easy to get and is just basically routine mantinence or lack of. LOL Im very happy with this buggy.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I own an RC8 and have owned a bunch of the other buggies. I've been very tempted to buy an 808. But this what I've heard from people that have driven both.

The 808 is like a "better handling, stable Losi". I had an 8ight, and it just did not suite my style. With the Losi, smooth is fast. If you are like me and push harder when you have to go faster, then the RC8 is probably for you.

I find that guys that are either coming from 10th scale stadium trucks or electric buggy do really well with the Losi and like the 808....

Hope that helps....
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

808 diffs are not grenading especially if a pro is building them. You cant go wrong the Rc8 but i like to keep the facts straight.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
808 diffs are not grenading especially if a pro is building them. You cant go wrong the Rc8 but i like to keep the facts straight.
+1

__________________________________________________ ______________

Nothing wrong with RC8, its a good buggy, and I see some very fast guys drive them and do well.

IMO the 808 is a better designed, better built, better material, better driving buggy. Yes, it cost more $$, but its a better buggy too.

You get what you pay for with the 808.......
Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
Originally Posted by Steve Walters
+1

__________________________________________________ ______________

Nothing wrong with RC8, its a good buggy, and I see some very fast guys drive them and do well.

IMO the 808 is a better designed, better built, better material, better driving buggy. Yes, it cost more $$, but its a better buggy too.

You get what you pay for with the 808.......
WOW, sorry for the comment fellas. Didn't know it was gonna rub someone the wrong way and all. Just stating the facts that came straight from the
local X-Ray sponsered driver. Is he a PRO? Not totally. I'd say more Semi-Pro
because he still has a regular job but I do know that he has been racing and
building R/C's for quite a few years and I'd trust him.

I cannot argue with the fact that X-Ray builds top notch stuff with the best
materials out there. A good friend of mine has an XT8 truggy and it is a VERY
nice piece. Would I buy one?? No, not really worth it for how much I race.
Plus, there isn't a hobby shop around that stocks parts for them and I don't
care how well they are built one thing is for certain, they ALL break.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hate2Looz
Plus, there isn't a hobby shop around that stocks parts for them and I don't
care how well they are built one thing is for certain, they ALL break.
I don't have any hobby shops nearby that carry parts for the high end kits (AE, XRAY, Losi, Mugen, Kyosho etc). I did break my 808, but honestly, I can make a purchase online and have it to me before the next race without paying for faster than normal shipping. I wouldn't worry about parts support too much. I do have a tendency to own as many spares as the car is worth...but that is due to having no local hobby shop. With the 808, im going to take my chances and just buy spare bearings, hardware, and clutch items. Carrying a full TM F8 Bag is getting to be overkill.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the great feedbacks, everyone.

After reading everyone's comments, I made up my mind and just ordered RC8 factory team kit.

Though I must admit that 808 is built with top notch materials and parts, I decided to go with RC8 for the following reasons.

* AE's customer serivice and online support
- visited AE forum.. I was impressed how much AE tries to keep their customers satisfied by sharing valuable information. I hope they keep up the good work.

* Something new for me
- I currently have losi 8ight buggy (just like everyone in the world!! ) 808 is a nice kit with new technologies, but it just keep on reminding me of 8ight when I look at the picture of 808. Spending another 600 bucks to buy twin brother looking vehicle... hmm, I will pass..

* Proven performance
- Both RC8 and 808 seems to be a proven quality and performance according to everyone's feedbacks.. However RC8 has been released about half year ago and has more tips and setup data to play around with. Though 808 might be the best quality car out there, I enjoy searching for new tips to make my car better. I think it's a big part of this hobby.. Modifying and setting... That's the fun part!

Well.. thanks again for your information. It really helped me to come up with a decision. *cheers*
Old 07-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'd go with the RC8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.