R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

It must be the one turning the wrench. He is taking the races out of all the bearings ?? i think u meant the bearing shields! i have been running xray cars for 4 years now, in between owned these rc 8, losi 8 mugen 5r and pro spec. Hands down the 808 best car out there!!!!
KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I can say this, the 808 does need a different approach to maintenence. As for Kyosho and Mugen, the rear pinion bearing failure or any of the bearings don't need as much attention as the 808. Thats what I believe the original post was trying to explain. If you used to own a Losi 8ight, you would be right at home checking everything.
LOL here we go with the 8ight comments. I've been racing my 8ight since Feb with no problems what so ever. I have replaced 1 wheel bearing and my steering rack bearings. There is no slop in my steering at all either, in fact it's so tight I have to lube it up to get it to move easy. I'm sure the 808 will have its share of problems like EVERY buggy made. Sure I tear it down after every practice and race and check over everything, BECAUSE thatís what you should do to every buggy you race or youíre not doing proper maintenance.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
LOL here we go with the 8ight comments. I've been racing my 8ight since Feb with no problems what so ever. I have replaced 1 wheel bearing and my steering rack bearings. There is no slop in my steering at all either, in fact it's so tight I have to lube it up to get it to move easy. I'm sure the 808 will have its share of problems like EVERY buggy made. Sure I tear it down after every practice and race and check over everything, BECAUSE thatís what you should do to every buggy you race or youíre not doing proper maintenance.
I raced both 8/8T for two seasons... and you CAN NOT compare Losi to Xray!! Xray is by far more superior in every aspect of design, construction, materials and performance also in respect to Xray shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with the "L" word! So my answer is NO, my Xray isn't a P.O.S...

The 808 is rock solid, period... NEXT WORLD CHAMPION!! (hopefully with me on the wheel) LOL!!
Old 07-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
Sorry to say, but none of my cars get torn down every race. If thats what your into, then its normal for you. I'm not owning a car that needs more attention a trophy wife. I've been though a Losi and worked on an RC8 while at the same time owning my current cars. They need more maintence and parts replacements than the Japanese made models, thats why we don't own them anymore. A properly built car with good parts does not need tearing down every race unless it went through some serious use.

As for the 808, the rear diff bearing is a known high stress component and I have seen how often it can go out. By design, this is the way it will be unless they reconfigure the rear axle. Other than that the parts quality is top notch and thats expected from a EU company.

I think by far, my MBX5T has seen 4 weekends of racing with 20 and 30 min Amains, and that truck has only been cleaned. No tear down performed and its still running perfectly. No slop, no bearing came apart, no leaks, etc.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to njballa Send a message via Yahoo to njballa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalShield View Post
I raced both 8/8T for two seasons... and you CAN NOT compare Losi to Xray!! Xray is by far more superior in every aspect of design, construction, materials and performance also in respect to Xray shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with the "L" word! So my answer is NO, my Xray isn't a P.O.S...

The 808 is rock solid, period... NEXT WORLD CHAMPION!! (hopefully with me on the wheel) LOL!!
Here we go again, how can it be a better design when its the same design ??? Losi Plastics are near perfect I have not broken a part on mine in the last two seasons of racing!!!!! And performance, where did the "L" car finish at the Nats, Silverstate, Nitro Pit vs. the "X" car ???

World Champion
No Seriously you didn't actually mean that did you ?
njballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well , it sounded good!
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSC
The more any car is built like a race car using specific parts to maximise performance the more often you replace it to maximise your results
Wow. I like how everybody flamed the Losi for wearing out faster then other cars(), but with the XRAY, its ok.

The xray is a good car. I think tthe problem is the loose nut behind the wheel! lol
Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

This car is not a P.O.S. Sorry!

Yes, it has a maintenance item,... every couple gallons of, change the bulkhead bearings. $5.00 bucks to change them,... big deal! I fed my 8ight 6 or more servos while learning my Losi quirks,.... so I dont have any complaints about this buggy's cost-to-run. My lap times and consistency have improved since moving from my Losi to the 808.

If I could improve one thing about this car it would be the chassis. If the chassis was 4 mill like the Losi, less drive train bearing issues would arise.

P.S. If I worked for Losi I would start a junk thread like this everywhere!.....
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you know what? If you don't like it just sell it. I'm sure who ever buys the car won't feel the same. I tear mine down after every race, and I'm still good after 2-1/2 gallons.

I'm not going to convince you why you should love this car, that way I don't have to waste my time.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

The boys have done many reviews on various RC products. I can tell you this. Everyone here has been extremely impressed with the high quality of the 808. In fact I can safely say it is the nicest buggy we have ever seen. It will be on our next episode.

Best Regards,
Linda
www.rctvlive.com
RCTVLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

I am one of the guys Ezdub is talking about. I have had the pinion bearings go out. I bought a bunch from ready rollers for a $1 each. I redo my diffs every 2 or 3 weekends and swap out the bearings at that time, no big deal.

My car has atleast 3 gallons through it and thats the only problem I have had. No that I change those bearings often it wont be an issue. Also my car has zero slop.

If yours is a POS PM me I would like to have a practice buggy.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

I forgot to mention. The other guy ezdub saw having problems did not have his diff shimmed correctly. This guy went through 3 sets of 13x19 in a day.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just get a Mugen...lol . I've yet to see any diff/bearing problems and I've owned four. Sure they are a bit of a boat, but man just try and break it.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTVLIVE View Post
Hi Guys,

The boys have done many reviews on various RC products. I can tell you this. Everyone here has been extremely impressed with the high quality of the 808. In fact I can safely say it is the nicest buggy we have ever seen. It will be on our next episode.

Best Regards,
Linda
www.rctvlive.com
Linda nothing against you guys but when is the show actually going to be on? i have been waiting for what seems forever
microcrazy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I've been running the 808 since it was released and I definately wouldn't say its a POS. I blew a front pinion bearing after casing a huge triple really really hard at full speed. I would agree with you about the shocks though, they let so much dirt in at my home track I have to change the oil every week. The old shocks on the EC didn't let nearly as much dirt in, even though they were pretty much the same seal design, but the EC shocks had that little rubber boot, which I think helped a lot. I'm going to find a way to put some real boots on the stock shocks. With boots on the shocks they would be perfect, because when they are clean they are perfect. My wheel bearings have yet to give me any problems after 3 gallons.