R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default RB S3 L2G ?

I just got an RB S3 L2G It has a little more than a 1/2 Gallon on her. I have been trying to work the engine back to factory settings of 3 1/2 turns from closed. Today I started her out at the factory settings but she seems to run hot when i do this. Hot being resting temps of about 260 - 270. She will jump to 290. I have been told that RB engines run at a higher temp. I richened back up to 4 turns from closed temps fell to 230 peaking at 270 after a good run.

The engine is making killer power this is only based on the crap motor I had been running. If the Buggy was being pulled by a Yorky it would have been more power and less problems.

At this point I am trying to be careful not to damage the engine and I need advice on these type of motors. Race engines in general and specifically the RB. The engine makes good constant blue smoke. Am I getting it back to factory setting to early? Does she need to get more fuel through for break in? Should I be happy that its running in this manor. I'm just confused at this point. I am using a duratrax tempature reader.
vladconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

why you goin back to factory settings, thats just a break in starting point.

first..lose that temp gun

if its running strong and has good constant smoke, you're fine
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok, if I remember right, my l2g 3 port for the first gallon was very needle sensitive. If you move the needle much the temps would either go way down or way up. If you are 4 turns out on the hsn and your running 230 to start and finishing 270 at the end of the tank go in 2 hours and that should put you around 250 starting 285 finishing. I know those temps are high, but RB's love heat. Mine hit 310 2 or 3 times during the first gallon and it is fine. After the first gallon I modified mine and not sure if my needle settings would help you any. I am running 30% Byrons generation II. I hope this helps, if you need more information just ask and I will try to help.
mfroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I have 2 RB's (S3 and C6) and totally love them!
I have my needles basically set within 3 hours of factory settings and they are both absolute horses. RB's are known to be cold blooded off the bat, never turn screws when its cold! Get it up to temp then make small adjustments. It may sound fat off the bat but its just cold. When its up to temp if you have smoke and power it should be fine! I have picked up a little advice from the local RB guru and it has helped a ton!

Hope that helps...
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just tune it based on temp for now. It won't fully loosen up until around a gallon. It will run cooler and make more power then.