Send a message via AIM to wstuart
Default What Diff oilNitro Fuel do you reccomend

Im a noob and I run an rc8 with a picco p7r

Just wondering which 30% and which diff oils you guys run

seems to be alot of choices
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Byrons Gen 2 fuel is awesome! If you cant get Byrons then I would say Werks is a close second.

And I use mugen diff oils and associated shock oils.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

O'Donnell fuel and AE oils.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)

Ive been running trinity fuel - becasue i can get it cheap, and ofna diff fluids.

Ive heard good things about the associated ones though
Old 07-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to D Hunt 3

I would stay away from the Gen2 Byron's. Myself, and some others have had tuning nightmares with the stuff, and a switch to O'donnell, Trinity or Nitrotane has solved them. Not sure if it was a bad batch or not. I do know many people have had great luck, but I wouldn't risk it.
D Hunt 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Hunt 3 View Post
I would stay away from the Gen2 Byron's. Myself, and some others have had tuning nightmares with the stuff, and a switch to O'donnell, Trinity or Nitrotane has solved them. Not sure if it was a bad batch or not. I do know many people have had great luck, but I wouldn't risk it.
I have never had any tuning issues with Byrons, I have used 6 gallons of the Gen 2 fuel and so far each gallon has been as flawless as the last, and I know many other people using it that have never had any issues. I rarely ever have to touch my needles throuhout the day, and alot of the time I can go an entire day without ever touching my needles.

Also Nitrotane is not a good choice, after a few gallons it will cause the internals of your engine to rust, at first it seems all good, but after a few gallons the internals will have rust, and it can easily cause your rear bearing to go bad, this has happened to me and a few other people I know, and I have heard about it from other people on the web.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro syco View Post
I have never had any tuning issues with Byrons, I have used 6 gallons of the Gen 2 fuel and so far each gallon has been as flawless as the last, and I know many other people using it that have never had any issues. I rarely ever have to touch my needles throuhout the day, and alot of the time I can go an entire day without ever touching my needles.

Also Nitrotane is not a good choice, after a few gallons it will cause the internals of your engine to rust, at first it seems all good, but after a few gallons the internals will have rust, and it can easily cause your rear bearing to go bad, this has happened to me and a few other people I know, and I have heard about it from other people on the web.
Running fuel through an engine does not rust it. Leaving unburned fuel in an engine will rust it. That is a maintenence issue, not a fuel issue.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro syco View Post

If you read my post I said some people have had no issues. This is from MY experience, and from a few others in my area. Go into the Wisc./IL forum and looks for a thread called Y-Rock Sleeve pinching. In there you will find pics of a 6 gallon Nova sleeve ran on Nitrotane. No rust.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have had no problems with Gen 2 what so ever.

Some fuels have good anti corrosive agents and little or no castor so you can leave fuel in the motor for months without problems. Of course, high performance fuels usually have more castor and don't waste power by adding non cumbustable agents. With these you need to run the motor dry and add after run oil after each day of racing or rust, gum and varnish will develop quickly.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Byrons Gen 2 is as good as it gets! good stuff, then i would run Werks or OD...but Byrons has been great.

I use AE for shock oil, Mugen oil for diffs.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Running fuel through an engine does not rust it. Leaving unburned fuel in an engine will rust it. That is a maintenence issue, not a fuel issue.
I completely dissasemble my motors almost every run so I am going to guess that this was not a maintenance issue, and for me I had rust after 1 gallon, so I cleaned it up as best as possible but a gallon or two later it came back to haunt me and the rust took my rear bearing. Maybe I dont clean my motors well enough when they are apart but it seems like its more that just a coincidence that it has only happened with nitrotane, and it also happened to some fellow racers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Hunt 3 View Post
If you read my post I said some people have had no issues. This is from MY experience, and from a few others in my area. Go into the Wisc./IL forum and looks for a thread called Y-Rock Sleeve pinching. In there you will find pics of a 6 gallon Nova sleeve ran on Nitrotane. No rust.
If you read my post I was just telling you that I have never had any issues. Also I have never seen a sleeve show any signs or rust or corrosion or buildup of any sort on it, where I have seen rust is the crank, and the rear bearings.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Oh ok, didn't realize the rusting wasn't in the sleeve. I guess we've both seen good and bad in both fuels, so each person their own.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I personally dont like Odonnels but had good luch with Nitrotane but now I run either Byrons gen 2 or Tilted clean or the green. Associated shock oils and Mugen diff oils also. Lot of smart guys on this thread.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

byrons gen 2 or werks fuel for me i havent had any issues with the gen 2

i run ofna or associated oils and in the rc8 i run 5-5-5
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)

Yeah I took the backplate off my p7r and I noticed some corrosion on the crank. - is that bad? Its a pretty new motor and I put obicco afterun in after every race day. should I burn all the fuel out before I put in the after run oil?