R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What Diff oilNitro Fuel do you reccomend (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/230136-what-diff-oilnitro-fuel-do-you-reccomend.html)

wstuart 07-03-2008 03:58 PM

What Diff oilNitro Fuel do you reccomend

Im a noob and I run an rc8 with a picco p7r

Just wondering which 30% and which diff oils you guys run

seems to be alot of choices

Nitro syco 07-03-2008 04:13 PM

Byrons Gen 2 fuel is awesome! If you cant get Byrons then I would say Werks is a close second.

And I use mugen diff oils and associated shock oils.

largeorangefont 07-03-2008 04:18 PM

O'Donnell fuel and AE oils.

wstuart 07-03-2008 04:41 PM

Ive been running trinity fuel - becasue i can get it cheap, and ofna diff fluids.

Ive heard good things about the associated ones though

D Hunt 3 07-03-2008 04:55 PM

I would stay away from the Gen2 Byron's. Myself, and some others have had tuning nightmares with the stuff, and a switch to O'donnell, Trinity or Nitrotane has solved them. Not sure if it was a bad batch or not. I do know many people have had great luck, but I wouldn't risk it.

Nitro syco 07-03-2008 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by D Hunt 3 (Post 4601371)
I would stay away from the Gen2 Byron's. Myself, and some others have had tuning nightmares with the stuff, and a switch to O'donnell, Trinity or Nitrotane has solved them. Not sure if it was a bad batch or not. I do know many people have had great luck, but I wouldn't risk it.

I have never had any tuning issues with Byrons, I have used 6 gallons of the Gen 2 fuel and so far each gallon has been as flawless as the last, and I know many other people using it that have never had any issues. I rarely ever have to touch my needles throuhout the day, and alot of the time I can go an entire day without ever touching my needles.

Also Nitrotane is not a good choice, after a few gallons it will cause the internals of your engine to rust, at first it seems all good, but after a few gallons the internals will have rust, and it can easily cause your rear bearing to go bad, this has happened to me and a few other people I know, and I have heard about it from other people on the web.

largeorangefont 07-03-2008 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro syco (Post 4601447)
I have never had any tuning issues with Byrons, I have used 6 gallons of the Gen 2 fuel and so far each gallon has been as flawless as the last, and I know many other people using it that have never had any issues. I rarely ever have to touch my needles throuhout the day, and alot of the time I can go an entire day without ever touching my needles.

Also Nitrotane is not a good choice, after a few gallons it will cause the internals of your engine to rust, at first it seems all good, but after a few gallons the internals will have rust, and it can easily cause your rear bearing to go bad, this has happened to me and a few other people I know, and I have heard about it from other people on the web.

Running fuel through an engine does not rust it. Leaving unburned fuel in an engine will rust it. That is a maintenence issue, not a fuel issue.

D Hunt 3 07-03-2008 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro syco (Post 4601447)

If you read my post I said some people have had no issues. This is from MY experience, and from a few others in my area. Go into the Wisc./IL forum and looks for a thread called Y-Rock Sleeve pinching. In there you will find pics of a 6 gallon Nova sleeve ran on Nitrotane. No rust.

wingracer 07-03-2008 06:35 PM

I have had no problems with Gen 2 what so ever.

Some fuels have good anti corrosive agents and little or no castor so you can leave fuel in the motor for months without problems. Of course, high performance fuels usually have more castor and don't waste power by adding non cumbustable agents. With these you need to run the motor dry and add after run oil after each day of racing or rust, gum and varnish will develop quickly.

Jesse 07-03-2008 06:46 PM

Byrons Gen 2 is as good as it gets! good stuff, then i would run Werks or OD...but Byrons has been great.

I use AE for shock oil, Mugen oil for diffs.

Nitro syco 07-03-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by largeorangefont (Post 4601454)
Running fuel through an engine does not rust it. Leaving unburned fuel in an engine will rust it. That is a maintenence issue, not a fuel issue.

I completely dissasemble my motors almost every run so I am going to guess that this was not a maintenance issue, and for me I had rust after 1 gallon, so I cleaned it up as best as possible but a gallon or two later it came back to haunt me and the rust took my rear bearing. Maybe I dont clean my motors well enough when they are apart but it seems like its more that just a coincidence that it has only happened with nitrotane, and it also happened to some fellow racers.

Originally Posted by D Hunt 3 (Post 4601480)
If you read my post I said some people have had no issues. This is from MY experience, and from a few others in my area. Go into the Wisc./IL forum and looks for a thread called Y-Rock Sleeve pinching. In there you will find pics of a 6 gallon Nova sleeve ran on Nitrotane. No rust.

If you read my post I was just telling you that I have never had any issues. Also I have never seen a sleeve show any signs or rust or corrosion or buildup of any sort on it, where I have seen rust is the crank, and the rear bearings.

D Hunt 3 07-03-2008 07:57 PM

Oh ok, didn't realize the rusting wasn't in the sleeve. I guess we've both seen good and bad in both fuels, so each person their own.

malik 07-03-2008 09:11 PM

I personally dont like Odonnels but had good luch with Nitrotane but now I run either Byrons gen 2 or Tilted clean or the green. Associated shock oils and Mugen diff oils also. Lot of smart guys on this thread.

cheesecake 07-03-2008 09:25 PM

byrons gen 2 or werks fuel for me i havent had any issues with the gen 2

i run ofna or associated oils and in the rc8 i run 5-5-5 :D

wstuart 07-03-2008 10:25 PM

Yeah I took the backplate off my p7r and I noticed some corrosion on the crank. - is that bad? Its a pretty new motor and I put obicco afterun in after every race day. should I burn all the fuel out before I put in the after run oil?