Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Diff oilNitro Fuel do you reccomend

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes, keep bumpin it with the glow igniter on until its OUT. I run a p7 as well. Just switched to the Gen 2(its just made me run richer) and OFNA diff fluid
Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro syco
I completely dissasemble my motors almost every run so I am going to guess that this was not a maintenance issue, and for me I had rust after 1 gallon, so I cleaned it up as best as possible but a gallon or two later it came back to haunt me and the rust took my rear bearing. Maybe I dont clean my motors well enough when they are apart but it seems like its more that just a coincidence that it has only happened with nitrotane, and it also happened to some fellow racers.

It depends on the fuel. I can assure you rust is not forming while engine is running. I have seen engines rust overnight when fuel is left in them. This seems to be a function of the fuel.

Blue Thunder does this and it sounds like Nitrotane does it as well. Trinity fuel used to do it as well. O'Donnell does not seem to do this. I don't think the new Byron's stuff does it either.

You just want to make sure you burn up all the alcohol in the fuel system and engine so it does not create moisture in the engine and start to rust it.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wstuart
Yeah I took the backplate off my p7r and I noticed some corrosion on the crank. - is that bad? Its a pretty new motor and I put obicco afterun in after every race day. should I burn all the fuel out before I put in the after run oil?

Yes burn all the fuel out. This will do more to prevent rust than using after run oil. A little rust on the crank is not a big deal. If you are worried about it you can pull the crank out and clean it with a very fine emory cloth soaked with after run oil.

Don't use the emory cloth on the crank journals.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Will: run Gen2 Byrons or Nitrotane. Diff oil run 5,000 front, middle, and rear.

Mitch
Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nitrotane and Mugen diff oil
Old 07-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i run any diff oil but mugen...........mugen oil has a tendency to disappear
Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I like trinity fuel a little more than o'donnell. I can't speak for byrons because none of my lhs's carry it and I have never used it. I run 20% fuel though, not 30%. I run associated shock oil and mugen diff oil.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm partial to Rocket Science fuel with Byrons a close second when the former isn't available.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro syco
I completely disassemble my motors almost every run .
....that seems like a lot of work..if i never crashed or always had motor problems i would think about doing this..but i already have a job..never wanted to turn my hobby into one..
On the fuel..I guess asking what the best fuel is, is sorta like asking what the best buggy or truggy is..I have always run the O'donnell's..Recently I switched to Byron's..I'm switching back to O'donnell's..On some of the other fuels.. i basically run what i can get at my local hobby shop and the choice I have is Traxxas, Byrons and O'donnell's..
Old 07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I never take my engines apart anymore unless they are used when I buy them. It seems to me the more you take the engine apart the more tuning issues I had. So far on my rb s7 l2g I havent had a flame out with it yet since being race tuned. I havent took anything apart on it. Also Im running byrons gen 2 fuel also. I have noticed since running byrons I have had to richen my engines up quite a bit, since running tq fuel before. I also see no need to run anything higher than 25%
Old 07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
I never take my engines apart anymore unless they are used when I buy them. It seems to me the more you take the engine apart the more tuning issues I had. So far on my rb s7 l2g I havent had a flame out with it yet since being race tuned. I havent took anything apart on it. Also Im running byrons gen 2 fuel also. I have noticed since running byrons I have had to richen my engines up quite a bit, since running tq fuel before. I also see no need to run anything higher than 25%
Agreed 100%..the other thing i have noticed is the guys that have run their motors to lean on Byron's (once is all it took) their motors were gone..i have seen others run to lean on different fuels and not destroy their motors..I tend to run a bit on the "fat" side and i did notice that i had to richen my engines up quite a bit also..