R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default How many Mugen MBX5 buggy models?

My question is, how many different models are there of the Mugen MBX5 buggy? Isn't it just the MBX5 and the MBX5R (the R model being the better of the two available)? I see at online stores that the Truggy has a Prospec model but not the buggy? Is there no such thing as an MBX5R Prospec buggy? If there is a model by that, what is the difference between the buggy R and R Prospec? Thanks!
superx421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Mugen itself has had loads of different buggys over the years but to answer your question there are currently 3 mbx5 buggy models
mbx5
mbx5 prospec
mbx5r

and with all this talk soon to be a mbx6 by the end of the year.
adz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Ok, let's break this down:

MBX5 is the older buggy. It has plastic chassis braces (plastic ends with a metal turnbuckle-type link in it)

MBX5 ProSpec has metal chassis braces. It is the "higher end" version of the regular MBX5. There is no performance difference really... in fact I (and a lot of folks) ran the "standard" plastic front chassis brace on the MBX5 ProSpec to allow a little more chassis flex for better cornering.

MBX5R is an updated version: It has a lot of minor changes, but the major changes are taller shock towers, longer shocks with screw-on bottoms instead of clips to hold the seals in, a different ackerman plate, a different front hinge pin holder, different upper arms with "hump" in them to allow more suspension travel, and knuckles that allow more steering throw. The MBX5R turns better than the MBX5/MBX5 ProSpec. It has more suspension travel for more droop also.

All 3 are great buggies.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Tech Addict

as brad has said essentially there are 2 models the MBX5 and the MBX5R, the 5R is a prospec kit and the 5 came in either prospec or standard but they are the same car one just has some upgrade items included, the 5R is very similar to the previous version with some parts being carried over but not as many as people might think
a win on the lottery :D
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote