R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   OS Plugs (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/230077-os-plugs.html)

joydude630 07-03-2008 08:22 AM

OS Plugs

Why most of the engines (standard or turbo .21) do not accept OS Plugs?

Davidka 07-03-2008 09:01 AM

OS standard style plugs are short reach (about .5mm but don't quote me on that) for reasons I don't know. GoTech standard plug engines require short plugs too. Nova, RB, Sirio, Werks, etc. all use more common long reach plugs.

For Turbo plugs, OS are similar to all the others. Many Turbo plug engines favor the OS P3 or P6 turbo plugs.

joydude630 07-03-2008 11:04 AM

I was planning to go with the OFNA Picco .21 P7R EVO3 Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine. I wonder if the engine favors the OS P3 plug.

tfa8rva 07-03-2008 11:55 AM

That engine doesn't say anything about it having a turbo head. P3 probably won't work.

wingracer 07-03-2008 12:23 PM

OS Turbos fit just about all turbo motors except Novarossi based motors.

wingracer 07-03-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by joydude630 (Post 4600123)
Why most of the engines (standard or turbo .21) do not accept OS Plugs?

Oh, and wouldn't a better way of asking that question be "why does OS have to use a different plug design then everyone else?"

largeorangefont 07-03-2008 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 4600721)
Oh, and wouldn't a better way of asking that question be "why does OS have to use a different plug design then everyone else?"

To screw you into buying OS plugs.

tfa8rva 07-03-2008 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 4600721)

I didn't know they did. For every engine that I've run for the last fifteen years, whether it be car, airplane, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, turbo, or standard, OS has made a plug that would fit it. Not sure where you guys are going with this.

wingracer 07-03-2008 02:54 PM

OS standard plugs fit all standard engines but for some reason they are shorter then everyone elses so while they will work in other engines you will have slightly less compression.

Their turbos work in most engines. While they technically fit in Nova based motors the taper is different and they can leak.

My point was that the way he worded his question made it sound like everyone else should be using the OS standard but it seems to me if everyone else uses one length while OS uses another then it's OS that has gone against the standard.

Davidka 07-03-2008 02:59 PM

OS is older than most all of the engine brands in the hobby (think planes too). The OS "short" plug has likely been around longer than the other engine brands. When other brands design a new engine they would naturally choose to use long plugs because they are not forced to buy plugs from OS nor are their customers.

joydude630 07-04-2008 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 4601080)
OS standard plugs fit all standard engines but for some reason they are shorter then everyone elses so while they will work in other engines you will have slightly less compression.

Their turbos work in most engines. While they technically fit in Nova based motors the taper is different and they can leak.

My point was that the way he worded his question made it sound like everyone else should be using the OS standard but it seems to me if everyone else uses one length while OS uses another then it's OS that has gone against the standard.

Wait a minute WINGRACER. I never said everybody should be using the OS plugs. You guys are lucky that you have access to different plugs unlike dubai where I am from only sells OS plugs. I love to buy a RB, Jammin or a Picco engine but again its the plugs. If anyone has used OS plugs in the engines I specified then its cool and if not my bad. Some how I have to buy the plugs made specifically for the engine.

Thanks guys for all your support unlike someone who has a problem with my question. I am not a experienced guy. Just in this hobby for a year. I came on this forum for help not for your negative answers. All other members answered my question without a problem.

Sorry WINGRACER for wasting your time on answering my question. I apologize.

Davidka 07-04-2008 06:23 AM

joydude, I don't know what the details of shipping to Dubai are (I'm guessing it's complicated) but you might try www.amainhobbies.com I know they ship internationally and Kendall (owner of the business) runs a top level company. If anybody can figure out how to ship to you at a reasonable cost, it's them.

On the upside, OS engines are great. If that is all that's available at least you know you're getting good stuff. ;)

ezveedub 07-04-2008 07:16 AM

If they only sell OS plugs in Dubai, what engine are you trying glowplugs for?

wingracer 07-04-2008 07:21 AM

Easy there dude, I was not giving you a hard time though I can see how you might think that I was, sorry about that. If you read my posts again you will see that I also said that OS standard plugs will work in ALL standard plug motors. I doubt you would notice any change from the slight loss of compression.

As for OS turbo plugs, they work fine in most motors other than Novarossi based motors. If you want to get an RB or other Nova based motor You will want to try and find a source for the plugs as well.

Again I was only trying to make the point that OS is the oddball when it comes to standard plugs, not the industry standard and everyone else is the oddball.

Davidka 07-04-2008 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 4603056)
If you read my posts again you will see that I also said that OS standard plugs will work in ALL standard plug motors. I doubt you would notice any change from the slight loss of compression.

In my experience running an OS short plug in a long plug engine (novarossi and Werks) actually runs pretty bad. I don't think it's a compression issue so much as a reach issue. The engines I've seen it tried on didn't idle and wouldn't tune right. The engines would start reliably but they ran poorly.