Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking for a new .21 engine for offroad buggy. >

Looking for a new .21 engine for offroad buggy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a new .21 engine for offroad buggy.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Looking for a new .21 engine for offroad buggy.

Starting to look for a new engine for my 777 WC.
Not sure where to go here. I usually run lower line motors like the Hyper 21 8Port with the OS20E carb on it. Been happy with it, but its time for something better. I have tried the RB S5 and its not bad, but I just want something different then most of the guys at the local track.
I am interested in these motors here:
CEO Power Mods OFNA Jammin .21 Turbo
MR Ninja MR21 B01A 5 Port Turbo
Trinity ExTech .21 Turbo
Sirio S21 CL7B STI Ceramic
Sirio Kanai EVO IV STI
GRP .21 Turbo
Werks Racing B7 Pro-C .21 Team Line Turbo
Novarossi Plus .21-5KT Turbo
RB Concept WS7T L2G Turbo

Looking for something that will last awhile(at least 5 gals), good run times(7mins minimum), good smooth power delivery, and will hold a tune within a few hours every weekend. I have a variety of pipe ranging from top. mid, to bottom to help curve the power band also and help in run time. What would the seasoned racers recommend? I have heard good things from all the motors I listed, but just need some hands on advice and experience.

Thanks again to anyone that can help.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by supralative
Starting to look for a new engine for my 777 WC.
Not sure where to go here. I usually run lower line motors like the Hyper 21 8Port with the OS20E carb on it. Been happy with it, but its time for something better. I have tried the RB S5 and its not bad, but I just want something different then most of the guys at the local track.
I am interested in these motors here:
CEO Power Mods OFNA Jammin .21 Turbo
MR Ninja MR21 B01A 5 Port Turbo
Trinity ExTech .21 Turbo
Sirio S21 CL7B STI Ceramic
Sirio Kanai EVO IV STI
GRP .21 Turbo
Werks Racing B7 Pro-C .21 Team Line Turbo
Novarossi Plus .21-5KT Turbo
RB Concept WS7T L2G Turbo

Looking for something that will last awhile(at least 5 gals), good run times(7mins minimum), good smooth power delivery, and will hold a tune within a few hours every weekend. I have a variety of pipe ranging from top. mid, to bottom to help curve the power band also and help in run time. What would the seasoned racers recommend? I have heard good things from all the motors I listed, but just need some hands on advice and experience.

Thanks again to anyone that can help.
I'm not a particularly seasoned racer... but, I have experience with the Werks motor.

I've got 6 gallons on mine, (Teamline B7 Pro) it needs a con rod now, still has plenty of pinch. Should be able to replace the rod and get another 3-4 gallons looks like. (It runs, just won't idle well due to the slop in the con rod)

I ran it with a JP-1 pipe (low end pipe) for a long time, and it was just plain STUPID fast. Too much bottom end, and that's with a 5.5 restrictor in it. My friend (who is right at the borderline of sportsman/expert) asked "how do you drive this thing?" I put a midrange pipe on it and it calmed it down. (Dynamite 053) I get 8+ minutes of runtime with that setup.

2 of my buds are running RB WS7 III's, and they're great motors... I ran an RB C3 and it was good. For longivity, you probably won't beat RB. A guy I know had one with 15 gallons on it, never touched a thing, even the con rod. They get 7.5 or so of runtime.

And another is running an OS V-SPEC. While I have doubts about longivity of those, you can rebuild one (piston, sleeve, and rod) for less than $100... He's getting 10 minutes of runtime! It may not make quite AS MUCH power as the other 2... but it is very smooth, useable power with a crazy amount of runtime.

FYI 3 of the cars mentioned are in Jammins with identical setups, one of the WS7 III's is in a Kyosho.

So... fuel mileage:

OS-VSPEC first, Werks second, RB third.
Longivity RB first, Werks second, V-Spec third.

Power: Any of those motors is "just stupid." More power than you need. Probably Werks first, RB second, V-Spec third... but they're close enough it doesn't matter. All three are smooth and driveable power, not peaky, assuming you use the correct pipe.

All 3 of them hold a tune, rarely have to be touched... the RB will idle practically until it runs out of fuel (that's just an RB trait) the OS is probably the easiest to tune, but none of them are problematic.

Sorry, I know nothing about the other ones you listed, but I hope this much at least was helpful.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If I had $$$$$ to drop on a new mill it would most definetly be the new Orion .21 CRF I belive its called. I Actually drove a friend of mines buggy with this mill and it is the most powerful but smooth mill I have ever seen. It is very expensive though. I also recommend to you A GO TECH 3 or 7 port dne up by Brian at Pro Twister Mods. I have no knowlege driving any of the other mills you listed, a few of the older models but not those.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Mill choice

Well if you are going to make a choice from all the best mills available, you must be looking for a big debate. This thread could go for a while, I hope you are not in a hurry.

OK, dispite my better jugement, I will start.

Experience mostly with the NR 21-5KT and the P5X. I mostly run on short tech tracks, and rarely ever get to fully open up. So that is where I come from. I too have heard great things about every Mill you mentioned. I love NR, easy to tune long tappered tunning needles consistant and reliable. I know their sounds and tuning characteristics. For my type of driving, and tracks I generally do not need the top end so I stick to 3,5 port engines. I believe for me the longer stroke engines work a little better. That is my reason for NR. If NR was not available, I would love to own Sirio IV/ Trinity or the GRP. I think they would work well for me.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 70 (99%+)

GO TECH 5 port one of the best engines on the market i am a very avid racer and i have ran EVERY engine on the market and i finally found a SUPER engine for a GREAT price. Thats my opinion i have 4 gallons on mine getting 11mins. of run time on a tank and pinch is still crazy tight.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

RB WS7 L2G. The best longevity, lots of mid - top end power, smooth power band, and decent fuel mileage.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I will tell you this while they are super nice people and they motors are blaxing fast i would stray away from a werks motor. unless you have another novarossi/RB carb to put on it. as far as my experiences The Max Power M5B and the new ORION CRF WASP .21 are amazing motors that get great mileage, make great power, and last a long time. however the orion, i feel, needs the orion 3030 pipe to get the most out of it wherease the MAX POWER M5B is very versitle
Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Check out the new Mugen Ninja JX-21 (made by O.S.). R/C Car just did a great review on the motor. It is not just a re-badged V-Spec. The crank has a DLC coating that will make it last a lot longer. I just broke one in and it was very easy to tune. I have several friends already running them and they all love the motor.

Best of luck,
Old 07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i am sure maximo will chime in and blaze on a few engines soon . LOL
the p5xs is all around one of the best engines on the market !!! plus 21-5 is also another killer engine !!!! i have found a few tricks to making these engines run as good or better (in most cases) than any on the market . if you want stupid power , try an 821b !! WOW !!! pm me for more details .
happy motoring ,
monty
Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Best bang for the buck motor is the Jammin JPX .21 with an Ofna (or Dynamite) 053 pipe hands down. I run that in my truggy and it's ballistic fast. Keeps up with the V-specs on the straight but way more bottom.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the RB C6 with 2045 pipe combo. This is one hell of a motor. I have seen the more expert guys in my neck of the woods with them & they scream.

I myself am running a RB S5 with WS7 internals (long story goes something like - newbie forgot to tighten glow plug in brand new WS7 & plug flew off in a race & engine ate sand - the slightly scratched internals then get transplanted into his S5 ). To me, it's already very powerful.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
i am sure maximo will chime in and blaze on a few engines soon . LOL
the p5xs is all around one of the best engines on the market !!! plus 21-5 is also another killer engine !!!! i have found a few tricks to making these engines run as good or better (in most cases) than any on the market . if you want stupid power , try an 821b !! WOW !!! pm me for more details .
happy motoring ,
monty
Thanks for thinking of me !!! but the truth is anything I put my hands on rips .... Nova,Picco,Sirio,OS,GRP it doesn't matter, if I modify it, its going to be the fastest thing on the track,parking lot or wherever you choose to run it .... !!! today there are many great engines and its truly hard to make a bad choice.... as much as people like to bicker over brand( myself included ) the truth is all todays engines are very competitive with each other, and in many cases it takes a trained eye to really tell the differences so to speak....
Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Take a look at the Extech .21 race prepped by Ed Bridges from EBMods. Its race tuned and ready to drop in and go! Broke in and tuned by the man himself!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Go for the EX Tech! You won't be disapponted! I have almost 4 gallons on one of mine and it's still tight.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

You have a tough list to pick from but the 3 that I would narrow my decision down to would be an RB, Novarossi, or the Ninja. Rb engines are great motors, I have owned more RB's than anything, mainly the 7 ports. With a properly geared and piped 7 port you will have all the bottom you need and outstanding top end, the runtime is also pretty good. I have been able to get about 9.5 mins to a tank which would allow for about 8.5 min pit stops. The novarosssi is equally impressive but with even more bottom due to its long stroke. I just finished up with a ninja a few months ago and was very impressed with it as well. I thought it had about the same bottom end as a vspec but with more top end. The only downside is that even though I ran the suggested ninja pipe with the motor and ninja plugs, I did not get all the serious runtime a lot of people claimed. At best I could pit at 8 mins and out around 9mins. That was for me, but with all three motors you should easily be able to get at least 8-9 gallons of life from them. Like I said, that is a very tough list to choose from and really I think whatever you choose you should be fine. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by jpz_67; 07-02-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.