R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Tech Elite
 
nitro neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: zion,il
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default starter box for 8t

I'm looking to get a new starter box for my 8t. I have the losi box and it just doesn't seem to have what it takes to turn over high compression motors.The other day it was warm out all day when the temps went down about 10 degrees i had a hard time getting it to turn over my engine. what i need is a box that i will not have to modify to much to get it to work and that will turn over an engine without any problems. please include part #'s and small specs on boxes. thanks guy for your input
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I use the ofna truggy box it has two 775 motors i use a 12v gell cell battery if this box will not start it nothing will.
mfroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
nitro neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: zion,il
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

is this the blue one, if so what did you have to do to make it work with the 8t
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Toiffel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,169
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

+10000 on the Ofna truggy box, my Losi one went up in flames over the weekend!!!!
Toiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
nitro neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: zion,il
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

so far it seems the ofna box seems to be the one to get
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,694
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

+1,000,000 for the ofna truggy box

Its as strong as a horse!
Great value for the money!
Best box I have ever owned!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12542
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Default Turn over

!st I went to a robot online store and learned the info from the stock motors and upgraded them to two large motors. It did require a fitting. Drilled a few holes, but the have the same RPM range but almost twice the torque. Not twice because I would have onlu used one. They were about $10 a piece and it only took an hour to get them installed. Never do I have a problem with starting any motor.

Second, save the conrod, and pre heat the motor with a heat gun to at least 150 F before trying to turn it over. You will not have starting problems and your engine life is how your engine will thank you. Less apt to get the COnrod bushings to wear out. Once the engine is hot the stress on the internals is not nearly as bad.

My NR engines all come really tight and need help getting started at first. Make sure the engine is hot. It makes a huge difference. If you do not have AC power at your track, get a small generator but trust me when I say you will save yourself a lot of agrivation. I use the Losi box but just because I do not have to worry about the pins sliding and not being able to get the truggy or the buggy in the right place to hit the fly wheel. I hate to agrivated at the track. I can not think when I am pissed off. So fix it do not patch it. It it breaks replace it with a better part.

OK, flashback to when I had a bad day at the track, sorry for rambling.
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
badassrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Roaming Shores, Ohio
Posts: 3,321
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

You can replace the stock Losi motors with Traxxas 12 turn Titan motors for about $30 (pair) and it will start anything now. I use a lipo battery too.
__________________
Doug Lightcap

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws

Last edited by badassrevo; 07-02-2008 at 09:37 AM.
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Toiffel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,169
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

been there, done that, and still think that box has issues, the OFNA truggy needs a minor mod, and it fit's perfect the 8t
Toiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
nitro neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: zion,il
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiffel View Post
been there, done that, and still think that box has issues, the OFNA truggy needs a minor mod, and it fit's perfect the 8t
what mods does it need to work? are you using this on the 8t or 8b
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
nitro neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: zion,il
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relay8039 View Post
!st I went to a robot online store and learned the info from the stock motors and upgraded them to two large motors. It did require a fitting. Drilled a few holes, but the have the same RPM range but almost twice the torque. Not twice because I would have onlu used one. They were about $10 a piece and it only took an hour to get them installed. Never do I have a problem with starting any motor.

Second, save the conrod, and pre heat the motor with a heat gun to at least 150 F before trying to turn it over. You will not have starting problems and your engine life is how your engine will thank you. Less apt to get the COnrod bushings to wear out. Once the engine is hot the stress on the internals is not nearly as bad.

My NR engines all come really tight and need help getting started at first. Make sure the engine is hot. It makes a huge difference. If you do not have AC power at your track, get a small generator but trust me when I say you will save yourself a lot of agrivation. I use the Losi box but just because I do not have to worry about the pins sliding and not being able to get the truggy or the buggy in the right place to hit the fly wheel. I hate to agrivated at the track. I can not think when I am pissed off. So fix it do not patch it. It it breaks replace it with a better part.

OK, flashback to when I had a bad day at the track, sorry for rambling.

generally i do preheat but had no power at this track.I first tried a gel cell then went to 2 stick packs and currently have a lipo in the box. I also tried some diffrent motors in it it made a diffrence but not enough.To buy a generator how many conrods could i buy for the cost of the generator? I think at this point it is just time for a new box. I do apppreciate the input but ive spent enough on this box and it is time to move on to another


thanks neil
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Toiffel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,169
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

for my truggy, the rear slider has two stoppers underneath, if you cut or dremel off the 2nd one, it will allow the slider to move back all the way, just put the screw thru the slider and the top plate, and ur done!!!! I think I have a tutorial with some picures laying around here....as far as the buggy goes, I just picked up another box and from what I was told no mod necessary for the buggy!!!!
Toiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
nitro neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: zion,il
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiffel View Post
for my truggy, the rear slider has two stoppers underneath, if you cut or dremel off the 2nd one, it will allow the slider to move back all the way, just put the screw thru the slider and the top plate, and ur done!!!! I think I have a tutorial with some picures laying around here....as far as the buggy goes, I just picked up another box and from what I was told no mod necessary for the buggy!!!!
I will be using this for my truggy so the tutorial would be greatly appreciated


Thanks, Neil
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
K_B
Tech Master
 
K_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,434
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Here's a tutorial:

http://nullmind.com/2008/02/12/losi-...ox-ofna-10244/

With mine, I just use the front slider and removed the pegs from the rear. But there is one section of the tutorial that's important. It says to remount the starter assembly using the second set of holes. That makes a huge difference in being able to line it up right. I had problems with the switch getting in the way so keep an eye on that too.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro neil View Post
generally i do preheat but had no power at this track.I first tried a gel cell then went to 2 stick packs and currently have a lipo in the box. I also tried some diffrent motors in it it made a diffrence but not enough.To buy a generator how many conrods could i buy for the cost of the generator? I think at this point it is just time for a new box. I do apppreciate the input but ive spent enough on this box and it is time to move on to another


thanks neil
Well I don't know about you, but I have a lot of power tools and chargers to keep the various equipment working. I use a Gel cell battery in the Losi starter and it works fine. The larger motors just eat up the battery by the end of the day, so I keep the charger plugged in to the starter when I am not running, to alway have a good battery. I am not not sure but each conrod I replace cost about $50 not including the time of taking the mill apart and making sure it is resealed when putting it back together. That is if I catch it and my engine does not blow up on me. So is it the cost of the Con rod or really the cost of the entire mill. McCulloch generator at 2340 rated watts for $400.00. 2300 watt inverter is $252 not including the cost of the battery b/c I would not want to use my car battery. I need to be sure I can get home.
One gallon of regular fuel for the generator for 4 hours of run time. Still run all my equipment and a heat gun and various chargers and a fan. It is a pretty nice little setup. I have two travel bags, the generator, ice chest, table, tarp and chair. I generally do not leave fuel in the generator and fill a 5 gallon fuel container that is put in the clamps of my roof rack. It sounds a little funny, but when I also have to be prepared to evacuate at any time during the summer (Gulf South) I have many other uses for this equipment.

If the weak electric motors in the losi stock starter are too much of a problem, then the OFNA truggy starter $94.99 already has the 775 motors that I put in my Losi box. I sold my old one to a friend at the track who drives a Kyosho. I got fed up trying to get the starter wheel to hit the fly wheel. I always did have a problem getting the peg in the hole. I made many upgrades to the OFNA starter to make it work and it would until I had flame outs in the pits or at the one moment I really needed the box to be lined up correctly. I know your pain, I hate being fustrated. After spending hours on shocks, diffs, tires, suspension tuning, body painting, Radio setup, and engine tuning, I just want to run my stuff. I buy a lot of things purely for convienence. For me it works, I can only share with you what has worked for me, take it or leave it, but trust me, many of us have been there. Best of luck.

Last edited by Relay8039; 07-02-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Mistake
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
duratrax starter box, and mcdaniel glow starter/with gauge knoxvillerocco R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 12-26-2007 07:52 PM
Starter Box + Lead Acid Battery + Glow Starter Michael_T Australia For Sale/Trade 0 10-27-2007 03:33 PM
Brand New Mugen Starter Box & HT Batteries Starter Box LiPo Battery TonysScrews R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-15-2007 12:09 AM
Starter Box TraDE, Ofna pink 12 volt motor box for AE silver starter box jabroni racing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 11-21-2006 11:21 AM
F/s Mugen Seiki Pro Starter Bii Aluminum Purple Starter Box **new** fasthpir40 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 02-03-2005 01:45 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:38 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net