Wiki Posts
Search

starter box for 8t

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default starter box for 8t

I'm looking to get a new starter box for my 8t. I have the losi box and it just doesn't seem to have what it takes to turn over high compression motors.The other day it was warm out all day when the temps went down about 10 degrees i had a hard time getting it to turn over my engine. what i need is a box that i will not have to modify to much to get it to work and that will turn over an engine without any problems. please include part #'s and small specs on boxes. thanks guy for your input
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use the ofna truggy box it has two 775 motors i use a 12v gell cell battery if this box will not start it nothing will.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

is this the blue one, if so what did you have to do to make it work with the 8t
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+10000 on the Ofna truggy box, my Losi one went up in flames over the weekend!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

so far it seems the ofna box seems to be the one to get
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

+1,000,000 for the ofna truggy box

Its as strong as a horse!
Great value for the money!
Best box I have ever owned!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12542
Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Turn over

!st I went to a robot online store and learned the info from the stock motors and upgraded them to two large motors. It did require a fitting. Drilled a few holes, but the have the same RPM range but almost twice the torque. Not twice because I would have onlu used one. They were about $10 a piece and it only took an hour to get them installed. Never do I have a problem with starting any motor.

Second, save the conrod, and pre heat the motor with a heat gun to at least 150 F before trying to turn it over. You will not have starting problems and your engine life is how your engine will thank you. Less apt to get the COnrod bushings to wear out. Once the engine is hot the stress on the internals is not nearly as bad.

My NR engines all come really tight and need help getting started at first. Make sure the engine is hot. It makes a huge difference. If you do not have AC power at your track, get a small generator but trust me when I say you will save yourself a lot of agrivation. I use the Losi box but just because I do not have to worry about the pins sliding and not being able to get the truggy or the buggy in the right place to hit the fly wheel. I hate to agrivated at the track. I can not think when I am pissed off. So fix it do not patch it. It it breaks replace it with a better part.

OK, flashback to when I had a bad day at the track, sorry for rambling.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can replace the stock Losi motors with Traxxas 12 turn Titan motors for about $30 (pair) and it will start anything now. I use a lipo battery too.

Last edited by badassrevo; 07-02-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

been there, done that, and still think that box has issues, the OFNA truggy needs a minor mod, and it fit's perfect the 8t
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toiffel
been there, done that, and still think that box has issues, the OFNA truggy needs a minor mod, and it fit's perfect the 8t
what mods does it need to work? are you using this on the 8t or 8b
Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Relay8039
!st I went to a robot online store and learned the info from the stock motors and upgraded them to two large motors. It did require a fitting. Drilled a few holes, but the have the same RPM range but almost twice the torque. Not twice because I would have onlu used one. They were about $10 a piece and it only took an hour to get them installed. Never do I have a problem with starting any motor.

Second, save the conrod, and pre heat the motor with a heat gun to at least 150 F before trying to turn it over. You will not have starting problems and your engine life is how your engine will thank you. Less apt to get the COnrod bushings to wear out. Once the engine is hot the stress on the internals is not nearly as bad.

My NR engines all come really tight and need help getting started at first. Make sure the engine is hot. It makes a huge difference. If you do not have AC power at your track, get a small generator but trust me when I say you will save yourself a lot of agrivation. I use the Losi box but just because I do not have to worry about the pins sliding and not being able to get the truggy or the buggy in the right place to hit the fly wheel. I hate to agrivated at the track. I can not think when I am pissed off. So fix it do not patch it. It it breaks replace it with a better part.

OK, flashback to when I had a bad day at the track, sorry for rambling.

generally i do preheat but had no power at this track.I first tried a gel cell then went to 2 stick packs and currently have a lipo in the box. I also tried some diffrent motors in it it made a diffrence but not enough.To buy a generator how many conrods could i buy for the cost of the generator? I think at this point it is just time for a new box. I do apppreciate the input but ive spent enough on this box and it is time to move on to another

thanks neil
Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

for my truggy, the rear slider has two stoppers underneath, if you cut or dremel off the 2nd one, it will allow the slider to move back all the way, just put the screw thru the slider and the top plate, and ur done!!!! I think I have a tutorial with some picures laying around here....as far as the buggy goes, I just picked up another box and from what I was told no mod necessary for the buggy!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toiffel
for my truggy, the rear slider has two stoppers underneath, if you cut or dremel off the 2nd one, it will allow the slider to move back all the way, just put the screw thru the slider and the top plate, and ur done!!!! I think I have a tutorial with some picures laying around here....as far as the buggy goes, I just picked up another box and from what I was told no mod necessary for the buggy!!!!
I will be using this for my truggy so the tutorial would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Neil
Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Here's a tutorial:

http://nullmind.com/2008/02/12/losi-...ox-ofna-10244/

With mine, I just use the front slider and removed the pegs from the rear. But there is one section of the tutorial that's important. It says to remount the starter assembly using the second set of holes. That makes a huge difference in being able to line it up right. I had problems with the switch getting in the way so keep an eye on that too.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nitro neil
generally i do preheat but had no power at this track.I first tried a gel cell then went to 2 stick packs and currently have a lipo in the box. I also tried some diffrent motors in it it made a diffrence but not enough.To buy a generator how many conrods could i buy for the cost of the generator? I think at this point it is just time for a new box. I do apppreciate the input but ive spent enough on this box and it is time to move on to another

thanks neil
Well I don't know about you, but I have a lot of power tools and chargers to keep the various equipment working. I use a Gel cell battery in the Losi starter and it works fine. The larger motors just eat up the battery by the end of the day, so I keep the charger plugged in to the starter when I am not running, to alway have a good battery. I am not not sure but each conrod I replace cost about $50 not including the time of taking the mill apart and making sure it is resealed when putting it back together. That is if I catch it and my engine does not blow up on me. So is it the cost of the Con rod or really the cost of the entire mill. McCulloch generator at 2340 rated watts for $400.00. 2300 watt inverter is $252 not including the cost of the battery b/c I would not want to use my car battery. I need to be sure I can get home.
One gallon of regular fuel for the generator for 4 hours of run time. Still run all my equipment and a heat gun and various chargers and a fan. It is a pretty nice little setup. I have two travel bags, the generator, ice chest, table, tarp and chair. I generally do not leave fuel in the generator and fill a 5 gallon fuel container that is put in the clamps of my roof rack. It sounds a little funny, but when I also have to be prepared to evacuate at any time during the summer (Gulf South) I have many other uses for this equipment.

If the weak electric motors in the losi stock starter are too much of a problem, then the OFNA truggy starter $94.99 already has the 775 motors that I put in my Losi box. I sold my old one to a friend at the track who drives a Kyosho. I got fed up trying to get the starter wheel to hit the fly wheel. I always did have a problem getting the peg in the hole. I made many upgrades to the OFNA starter to make it work and it would until I had flame outs in the pits or at the one moment I really needed the box to be lined up correctly. I know your pain, I hate being fustrated. After spending hours on shocks, diffs, tires, suspension tuning, body painting, Radio setup, and engine tuning, I just want to run my stuff. I buy a lot of things purely for convienence. For me it works, I can only share with you what has worked for me, take it or leave it, but trust me, many of us have been there. Best of luck.

Last edited by Relay8039; 07-02-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.