R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the Ofna Truggy box and the Losi box. The Ofna box will turn anything over, but it has shorted out on me twice, so I keep reverting back to the Losi box which hasn't let me down.

I'll rewire the Ofna box myself next time I need to break something in.

As far as I know, this is NOT A WIDESPREAD PROBLEM. I just have the weirdest **** go wrong for me.

Hmmm... Can I put the Ofna motors in my Losi box?
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
I have the Ofna Truggy box and the Losi box. The Ofna box will turn anything over, but it has shorted out on me twice, so I keep reverting back to the Losi box which hasn't let me down.

I'll rewire the Ofna box myself next time I need to break something in.

As far as I know, this is NOT A WIDESPREAD PROBLEM. I just have the weirdest **** go wrong for me.

Hmmm... Can I put the Ofna motors in my Losi box?
I have the Losi box and it has turned over many different kinds of motors at the track with no probolems. I use a Gel cell too..
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #18
Tech Master

I haven't had a problem with my Losi box turning anything over, either. I'm just saying the OFNA box is a beast and I wish I could make use of the big motors in it.

I've seen the Losi box struggle to turn over the GRP, though.
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relay8039 View Post
Well I don't know about you, but I have a lot of power tools and chargers to keep the various equipment working. I use a Gel cell battery in the Losi starter and it works fine. The larger motors just eat up the battery by the end of the day, so I keep the charger plugged in to the starter when I am not running, to alway have a good battery. I am not not sure but each conrod I replace cost about $50 not including the time of taking the mill apart and making sure it is resealed when putting it back together. That is if I catch it and my engine does not blow up on me. So is it the cost of the Con rod or really the cost of the entire mill. McCulloch generator at 2340 rated watts for $400.00. 2300 watt inverter is $252 not including the cost of the battery b/c I would not want to use my car battery. I need to be sure I can get home.
One gallon of regular fuel for the generator for 4 hours of run time. Still run all my equipment and a heat gun and various chargers and a fan. It is a pretty nice little setup. I have two travel bags, the generator, ice chest, table, tarp and chair. I generally do not leave fuel in the generator and fill a 5 gallon fuel container that is put in the clamps of my roof rack. It sounds a little funny, but when I also have to be prepared to evacuate at any time during the summer (Gulf South) I have many other uses for this equipment.

If the weak electric motors in the losi stock starter are too much of a problem, then the OFNA truggy starter $94.99 already has the 775 motors that I put in my Losi box. I sold my old one to a friend at the track who drives a Kyosho. I got fed up trying to get the starter wheel to hit the fly wheel. I always did have a problem getting the peg in the hole. I made many upgrades to the OFNA starter to make it work and it would until I had flame outs in the pits or at the one moment I really needed the box to be lined up correctly. I know your pain, I hate being fustrated. After spending hours on shocks, diffs, tires, suspension tuning, body painting, Radio setup, and engine tuning, I just want to run my stuff. I buy a lot of things purely for convienence. For me it works, I can only share with you what has worked for me, take it or leave it, but trust me, many of us have been there. Best of luck.
As far as what i bring to the track is 1 charger which i have a garden tractor battery to use as a power supply.I have just bought a new GO conrod for 20 dollars,as far as the time goes to work on the mill this is part of the hobby. Besides all that my goal for this thread is to get a box i can call reliable and when my race is up it will start my motor. As far as flame outs go if i do flame out i'm not running around after a race starts to try and get it started.I do like the idea of the generator especialy for night racing.I will definately be looking into getting one.What made that idea sound good is the fan and light.I just wanted to get a starter box not spend more money.lol
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

Default Starter

OFNA truggy starter. Pick one up used from one of the other boards or on Ebay. you should be able to get it a little cheaper. There are some ticks on this forum that if I would have known I would have never sold mine. With the two 775 motors you will be able to start any mill at any time.

This sport, man I remember after I built my first buggy. After the first $2000.00. I told myself I was done spending money. I do not keep track any more, so I created a recreational budget and put money into a seperate checking account. When I am out of money then I stop. Some of the things like the generator and the tarp I got for other things and just use it for RC stuff. There is this Hurricane preparedness industry down here and it is just an added cost of living. But I can not complain, housing is cheaper than anyware else in the country. We never had to feel the housing bust. You all would laugh if you saw our home prices. Land could not be cheaper. But we pay it back in stuff.
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relay8039 View Post
OFNA truggy starter. Pick one up used from one of the other boards or on Ebay. you should be able to get it a little cheaper. There are some ticks on this forum that if I would have known I would have never sold mine. With the two 775 motors you will be able to start any mill at any time.

This sport, man I remember after I built my first buggy. After the first $2000.00. I told myself I was done spending money. I do not keep track any more, so I created a recreational budget and put money into a seperate checking account. When I am out of money then I stop. Some of the things like the generator and the tarp I got for other things and just use it for RC stuff. There is this Hurricane preparedness industry down here and it is just an added cost of living. But I can not complain, housing is cheaper than anyware else in the country. We never had to feel the housing bust. You all would laugh if you saw our home prices. Land could not be cheaper. But we pay it back in stuff.
relay, where are you living? I have put more thought in to the generator as this could be something for when the power goes out the wife may fall for that.lol It could power the sump pump
Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #22
Tech Elite

well I went ahead and ordered the ofna truggy starter box and it should arrive today so i will go ahead and give it a shot.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The OFNA Truggy box is nice. I am running mine with two 2S 4000mah lipos, and its super light and super powerful. Just swap out the connectors for Deans plugs.
tfa8rva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have a losi starter box and will be replacing the motors with the traxxas 12t Titan motors or the 775 motorts from the OFNA blue starter box, what mods are needed to complete each swap?

Last edited by xyzracer; 07-11-2008 at 07:36 AM.
xyzracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
Tech Elite

I HAD a Losi box, and got tired of teh weak motors, and after a n00b pitman tried to start my 8T backwards and mellted every wire in it and both motors I got an Ofna truggy box.
COuldnt be happier with it
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I watched two losi boxes go up in smoke today. One of them the motors quit and the other the box lit on fire and smoke was everywhere. The one guy has replaced the motors 3 times!
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #27
Tech Elite

well,I have gotten my box set up for the truggy.I believe i must have an updated box. the rear plate on the box looks nothing like the plate in the tutorial. the plate is like 3 times longer than the tutorial shows. the plate in the tutorial looks like it has only the one row of places to put the pegs , the rear plate has 3 rows of places to put the pegs. In other words this makes the box extended so that I didn't have to cut the nubb on the bottom of the rear plate. although i did have to drill a hole in the rear mounting plate so that i could screw the lid shut. I have the mounting plate as far back as posssible. by doing so the hole to screw the lid down was covered so i took out the drill and drilled it out so the screw would fit all the way throught the plastic where it should be. I will post an update when i get it fired up and let everyone know what i think. from the way it sounds and looks i have a losi box for sale.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:32 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

I rewired my losi box with deans wire and I'm running a 4s lipo it starts just about anything I put on it now.... Including a motor that 2 other ofna boxes would not turn over When i first got the box with that crappy wire it it had a hard time turning stuff over. When I rewired it, it just became a whole diff box.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
I rewired my losi box with deans wire and I'm running a 4s lipo it starts just about anything I put on it now.... Including a motor that 2 other ofna boxes would not turn over When i first got the box with that crappy wire it it had a hard time turning stuff over. When I rewired it, it just became a whole diff box.
i had rewired mine and also had a 4s lipo in it and it still just didn't have the torque for the truggy motor. it worked fine for my buggy but not for the truggy. with changing the wire and replacing the motors cause i burned out the first ones it still just didn't have what i'm looking for.I'm glad to hear that you are having such good luck with yours and keep having good luck. the last time i went racing was at night and it got cool out and i had some troubles, it was right before my main.After that i had enough. like i said i have a losi box for sale.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #30
Tech Elite

i have just hooked up my lipo to the box and tried it out.
My review of the box

awsome power

excellent fit on the truggy {even better than the losi box}

very easy to get setup

I give this box a 10 on strength and set up

I give this box a 9 on features {no power panel or glow igniter attachment}
all in all i would not let that stop you from getting one of these boxes.

guys this is the box to get if you have had any problems at all. plenty of power. did I say it had plenty of power. lol