R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default I need your help [Buggy Gurus]

EDIT:
I was originally looking for a buggy, I got one in the time I posted this thread (MUGEN). So now I need a cheap exhaust set up, starter box and shocks!

Last edited by Jim Bob; 07-02-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Ofna's are awesome buggies. The Hyper 8 RTR with the 8.5 upgrade is an awesome buggy for the price. Also, look into the Jammin X1X. Stay away from the LX series and Ultra Series buggies though. They are kind of cheap. But the other two mentioned are great buggies.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Jammin CRT.5 w/ OS .12 TZP 5
Team Losi 8ight-T w/ Ninja JX .21
stiffler297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Realize that the motor, radio, and servos are "sub par" on any RTR... and there are probably some other parts that they went "cheap" on. If I was already racing one type of vehicle (which you are) and had a decent radio (do you?) I'd buy another receiver for that radio and use it. Ok, $50-100. Add a motor and pipe (Go 3-port maybe for $120 or so, Dynamite 053 for $49) some decent servos ($200?) and pick a buggy. It will cost you more short term, but in the long run it will be cheaper.

If you absolutely MUST have an RTR, the Hyper 8 looks decent, (do they have an 8.5 yet?) but I like the Jammin better.

The Jammin X1X is a GREAT car, but the RTR has some compromises (dogbones instead of CVDs in the rear, cheaper, thinner shock towers, etc.) Note that it uses dogbones in the center too... but I "downgraded" to dogbones in the center on my car because they have less rotating mass. It DOES have the Super Big Bore shocks. I don't know the specs on servos, but almost every RTR out there has crappy servos...

The other OFNA stuff is not nearly as good...
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check with nitro house. They had a deal on the hyper7 a week or so ago. It was a fine buggy a few years ago.
Hal Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Realize that the motor, radio, and servos are "sub par" on any RTR... and there are probably some other parts that they went "cheap" on. If I was already racing one type of vehicle (which you are) and had a decent radio (do you?) I'd buy another receiver for that radio and use it. Ok, $50-100. Add a motor and pipe (Go 3-port maybe for $120 or so, Dynamite 053 for $49) some decent servos ($200?) and pick a buggy. It will cost you more short term, but in the long run it will be cheaper.

If you absolutely MUST have an RTR, the Hyper 8 looks decent, (do they have an 8.5 yet?) but I like the Jammin better.

The Jammin X1X is a GREAT car, but the RTR has some compromises (dogbones instead of CVDs in the rear, cheaper, thinner shock towers, etc.) Note that it uses dogbones in the center too... but I "downgraded" to dogbones in the center on my car because they have less rotating mass. It DOES have the Super Big Bore shocks. I don't know the specs on servos, but almost every RTR out there has crappy servos...

The other OFNA stuff is not nearly as good...
I'd much prefer build a car then RTR! I am leaning more towards finding a used good buggy. I don't like the idea of a $300 buggy with everything....The thing is, I have a friend that has a kinda beat Ofna with pillow ball suspension upgrade and all that kind of stuff that he'll sell me for like $200 maybe cheaper RTR.....I kinda want to do it just as a beater buggy.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

spring for the x1x!!
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post

Yes, the 8.5 pro and RTR have been out for quite some time now. The 8 RTR comes with the upgrade kit to the 8.5 conversion which has the extended chassis, new shocks and better drive train. For the cost of the RTR you can't really go wrong. But I'd much spend a little more money on the pro version of any buggy or truggy for that matter.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Jammin CRT.5 w/ OS .12 TZP 5
Team Losi 8ight-T w/ Ninja JX .21
stiffler297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
So I am looking for a buggy to casually race and drive as a secondary car to monster truck since that is what I race. I used to race 1/8th scale buggy years ago (Kyosho 6.5) but I am not looking to buy a crazy buggy to win all the races. I more want it to mess around with so I have a few questions.

Are Ofna's any good?
If so which Ofna should I look at? You can get them with motors and radios for sub $400. I'd prefer an RC8, Kyosho, Mugen, etc but am not going to spend that kind of money.
Or, should I look at eBay for a used something else?
There are many choices...

The RTR route will be the less expensive way to start, but can become more expensive in the long run.

You can get a Hyper 7 TQ roller for $180ish, then put a Hyper .21 8 port in it for $120ish, and the 2027 PCR pipe (which is the best pipe for the .21 8 port) for $80ish, and put in your own radio gear and get a starter box, and for only $100 or so more dollars than the RTR's, you'll have a very fun, and capable buggy...

Hope this helps...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...

Rob B.
Nitrohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ok

get a rtr cen matrix

they just put one there new sh engines on it and one of my family members bought it and it runs awesome idles forever. shoot me a pm if you want one i can get you one really cheap.
rc31cli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You can get a Xray XB8 EC pretty cheap now on ebay since the new 808 came out. I have a XB8 and its one well made buggy. Super tuff too!
Madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
You can get a Xray XB8 EC pretty cheap now on ebay since the new 808 came out. I have a XB8 and its one well made buggy. Super tuff too!
You want a monster truck driver to jump into an XB8? Granted, it's THE quality standard... but not a good car for a driver that isn't used to a loose car.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Tech Addict

I am in no way new to RC, I raced 1/8th scale buggy for quite a while. I just got a Mugen roller from a friend. I need shocks and an exhaust pipe/header. What is a cheap option? I am not trying to get a crazy good pipe set up.
Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

get a used mbx5 or prospec or even an R. tight buggies that dont wear out very quick. the ofna hyper 8-8.5 is a great bang for the buck new car though
22 SCT 2.0 Exotek Hobbywing 3.1 Stock Spec Fantom
Tekno 410SCT Hobbywing ProSC
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I need shocks and an exhaust pipe/header. What is a cheap option? I am not trying to get a crazy good pipe set up.
Thanks
$47 for pipe and header. It is actually a really good all around pipe.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4637
Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #15
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Check out The TQ Racing SX8! Very afordable, and very competitive!
Www.tqracing.net