Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HIGH POWER ENGINE AND CENTER DIFF QUESTION !! >

HIGH POWER ENGINE AND CENTER DIFF QUESTION !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HIGH POWER ENGINE AND CENTER DIFF QUESTION !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? HIGH POWER ENGINE AND CENTER DIFF QUESTION !!

I have read that if the center diff oil is too light ...it can "cook" the oil in the diff . The setup in my 8ight buggy uses 3 front 5 center and 2 rear . I'm guessing 5 for the center in a buggy has got to be the absolute minimum I would think ? Running 5 instead of 7 is better for the tracks in my area because they are slick and bumpy at times .

So my question is I am just switching up from a OS v-spec to a RB6BB7t which has lot of POWER . I realize a big motor is not the key to being succesful in outdoor but the deal A-main had on these motors was just to good to pass up .
Does the power of the motor have anything to do with how I run this center diff ?
I would think 5 would help the car stay calmed down with a big motor vs 7 or 10 wt diff oil ?
Do I need thicker center diff oil with this bigger motor in order not to "cook" it ? Then will it make it to nervous to drive ? Thanks in advance for any input .Dave

Last edited by dead1dave; 06-29-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Tech Addict

You will only cook the center diff if traction goes up "and you have too much power". Keep in mind that one of the things a diff does is, get rid of unwanted power from tires that are hooked up. Oil thats too heavy can interfere with this diffing of unwanted power away, causing a loose and hard to drive buggy. There is nothing that says you cant mix 5k and 7k 50/50 to get in between for the perfect combo. I run a modded C6 in my buggy, and had 7K in to start (it was a bit loose), then tried 5k (ballooned the front tires a bit too much), but ended up with a 50/50 mix and its perfect. Now I just fill exactly the same each time to keep the consistency good. If I go to a high traction track, I go to 7k in the center.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run 5K in both my truggy and buggy with OS Speeds. You just have to change diff oil more frequently as it has a tendency to break down. You have nothing to worry about as I have run as low as 3K in my center diff when I has an XB8EC.
-Kane
Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Regular maintenance is the key to long lasting diffs.... Diffs take the most abuse of all the parts in a 1/8 scale car. I change my diff oils after every 2nd race meeting and have found very little wear and i normally run 3-5k in the centre...

For mixing fluids, this calculator is a great help!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 AM
Tech Addict

i think carcrazy hit the nail there best way to find out is drive the car if the front tyres balloon badly you will need heavier oil, i run 5k with a v-spec and also tried a nova 421bx which is also a bottom end motor and no probs so just give it a go
Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Good answers......

Carcrazy did hit it right on the head. Read what your car does. If you are getting excessive front tire wear from too much power transfer then a heavier center diff oil may be a tuning option you want to look to. The lighter oil will feel easier to drive but that will only last until your front tires go away.
I too run 6K in the center of my 8ight. 4-6-2 is what pretty much works for me. If the traction goes up, then it is 7K in the center. If traction goes down to less than slippery, then it might be 5K in the center to make it easier to drive.
Just read the car and you will know what to do.
Very good!
TEX
<------- Not done yet!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

heavier center can also just make the front want to lift which causes even more diffing out...