R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Nitro Hawk Parts Compatibility?

I am currently resurrecting my old Traxxas Nitro Hawk for fun, and the body that came with it originally is pretty much shot. Does anyone know of a source of new bodies, or know what bodies from other manufacturers would fit it?

Also, while I am on the theme of parts compatibility - does anyone know offhand if any wheels from current Traxxas vehicles (Rustler, etc) fit on the Nitro Hawk (particularly the rear drive wheels)?

I'll post pics once I get this bad boy cleaned up and running. The original TRX 12 still has plenty of pinch and fires up...now I just have to go through the rest of the car and bring 'er back to life!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Tech Addict

I'll answer myself, in case it will help someone else out there someday.

Apparently, Traxxas still makes the Nitro Sport, which is just an updated version of the Nitro Hawk. A lot of the same parts (Shocks, wheels, and a slightly revamped body) carry the same part numbers and look to be completely compatible. Not everywhere carries the Sport, or even all of its parts, but between A-Main, Tower, and Ebay I should be able to piece together all of the parts that I need to make the truck look fresh and new again.

Thanks, Paul!

You're welcome.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
Tech Adept

http://www.buytraxxas.com/default.ph...535pvtkmg2vtk5

this might be of some help in finding nitro sport parts
vroom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Momo5

I'm in the process of the same thing. I bought a used Nitro Hawk off of ebay. I cleaned it up real good...added bearings, rebuilt the shocks, new tires and added a new Pro .15. My Nitro Hawk is almost done it just needs the break set up and linkages. Anyways, the Traxxas white dish wheels are still available if your wanting to keep it as original as possible.

Heres a couple of pics of mine...

Momo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Tech Addict

That looks really clean and good! I hope mine looks that nice once I get done restoring it. Is the body just a Nitro Sport body that you painted up?

I hope that the TRX 12 engine in mine lasts for a little while still. I was having some air leak issues somewhere, but I replaced all the fuel lines, fuel tank, and put some silicone gasket maker around the base of the carb so I need to fire it up again and see.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

The body is actually the original Nitro Hawk body. Thats the main reason why I jumped on it as soon as I saw it on ebay. I've never had a TRX .12...I heard it was a good engine. My first nitro vehicle was a Nitro Hawk in probably '94 or so and it had the Image .12 in it and I remember it being a crappy engine...The new Nitro Hawk that you see in the pics came with an Image .12too and I ditched it real quick. Post some pics of your work in progress if you can....
Momo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Traxxas Nitro Hawk

Hi there.

I have one old traxxas nitro hawk and Im watching for the pinion of the engine and his crown. You know if the pinion and crown of the Traxxas Sport 2008 is the same as the Nitro Hawk?

Sorry for my poor english, Im spanish :
traxxasnitrohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxasnitrohk View Post
Hi there.

I have one old traxxas nitro hawk and Im watching for the pinion of the engine and his crown. You know if the pinion and crown of the Traxxas Sport 2008 is the same as the Nitro Hawk?

Sorry for my poor english, Im spanish :
The nitro hawk has a pretty unique clutch setup. Its pretty much backwards compared with todays clutch set up, so I doubt the Sports clutch would work.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Okay.
Thanks
traxxasnitrohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

By the way, what do you mean by "crown"? Nitro Hawk clutchbells (pinions) are usually on ebay all the time.