Wiki Posts
Search

Rims diameter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:41 PM
ALG
Tech Regular

Default Rims diameter?

Can some one help us and give us some knowledge on the different size of rim diameter.
I have OFNA 86057 TrueLites rims with 82mm diam and comparing with the JC rims Rulux 3303Y, JC rims are smaller. what is the effect? it is better or worse? when would you recomend a big rim or a small rim?

Thanks for your help and have fun!!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Weird... according to Tower, the OFNA wheels are 4mm shorter than the JCs. If it were me, I'd go for the bigger rim. That way, the tire will fit snugger to the rim and easier to glue.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Smaller rim can give you a rounder profile. A rounder profile will catch less ruts and carry more corner speed. It will also usually have less forward traction and the center will wear faster.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 AM
ALG
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K_B
Weird... according to Tower, the OFNA wheels are 4mm shorter than the JCs. If it were me, I'd go for the bigger rim. That way, the tire will fit snugger to the rim and easier to glue.
I have both rims and the diameter are 82mm for the Pfna and 78mm for the JC.
The above measurments are on the rim.

I was thinking, bigger rim = less tire profile, less flex, better on blue groove and good tracks. smaller diameter = more profile, more flex better on bumpy and ruts track.
my 2 cents.

Have fun
Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ALG
I have both rims and the diameter are 82mm for the Pfna and 78mm for the JC.
The above measurments are on the rim.

I was thinking, bigger rim = less tire profile, less flex, better on blue groove and good tracks. smaller diameter = more profile, more flex better on bumpy and ruts track.
my 2 cents.

Have fun
All this talk about bigger rims etc etc is all balony its all got to do with the strength and the quality of the tyre wall not the rim being 82mm or 83 mm the bigger the better .

if the tyres are manufatured with accuracy and quality in mind to have a strong tyre wall then the rim can be 78mm or 80mm they dont have to be any bigger.If the tyre is total crap quality it doesnt matter if the rim is 90mm it wont make a difference with power to ground effect.

You only need a bigger rim diameter if you use crappy tyres with thin walls this way compressing the tyre to a smaller profile creating some strength in the wall of the tyre not to cause flex.

You can get the power to the ground with a smaller 80mm rim as long as the tyre has a excellent tyre wall manufacture strong in other words which wont flex as much as the others.

and all the rest is history take care friends