R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Exponential Setting

I just want to see how some of you feel about using the exponential setting on your radios (if you have it). I use the function in my steering set up for off road because there is a 180' straight at the track where I run and I believe it definitely helps me hold a solid line. At the same time, I sometimes wonder if I'm creating a bad habit with regards to my driving skills utilizing a function of the radio to help me out. How do you guys/gals feel about using exponential in off road racing?

Last edited by strngdze; 06-27-2008 at 07:39 AM.
strngdze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Suspended

not quite sure what you alluding to, but since it's built into the equipment and part of most every radio system it hardly seems like it could be considered cheating.
now if you bolted a pack of estes rockets to the thing and lit them via the third channel or something equally ridiculous that would give you an unfair advantage that would be another matter.
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I have this feature in my radio but don't really know what would be the application is this for... can any one school me on this..
pedsaktix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I just changed the title of the thread, I didn't mean to imply literary cheating. What I was trying to imply was, do you feel guilty by utilizing a function of the radio that actually makes driving easier? I understand that the use of the exponential setting is perfectly legal. I've heard different views on the setting at the track. I'm Just trying to get peoples opinions on the use of exponential.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Suspended

i'm still not sure what you're trying to say, or any particular advantage you think you're acheiving by using it during a race. you're not stating anything very clear to support your idea.
it's not like it makes the car illegally faster or anything.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedsaktix View Post
I have this feature in my radio but don't really know what would be the application is this for... can any one school me on this..
From the Spektrum DX3R Manual:

"Exponential is used to affect the response rate of the steering, throttle and/ or brake. Typically positive Exponential is used for steering, reducing steering sensitivity around neutral, making it easier to drive the car at high speeds in a straight line but exponential still allows for the maximum turning radius"
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by strngdze View Post
From the Spektrum DX3R Manual:

"Exponential is used to affect the response rate of the steering, throttle and/ or brake. Typically positive Exponential is used for steering, reducing steering sensitivity around neutral, making it easier to drive the car at high speeds in a straight line but exponential still allows for the maximum turning radius"
yeah, so?

this has been around just about since the dawn of time or at least since they started making radios with that option, and it's been used by those that had sense enough to use it and ignored by those that didn't
Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Suspended

let's put it this way ~ not using it is like suggesting to a NASCAR driver that they can turn right to avoid a crash and having them say "I thought you could only turn the car to the left since that's the only way the turns go"
Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wow oldschool, you need to relax buddy. To offer my opinion, I think what your getting at is are you making bad habbits for your self by letting the radio control something that could really be done by your own finger control. I guess you could look at it that way but if that reall was the case we could all use a radio from 20 years ago.
killabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabud View Post
wow oldschool, you need to relax buddy. To offer my opinion, I think what your getting at is are you making bad habbits for your self by letting the radio control something that could really be done by your own finger control. I guess you could look at it that way but if that reall was the case we could all use a radio from 20 years ago.

if you want to handicap yourself I have no problem with it
Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Expo is one of my favorite functions of a good computer radio, I don't see it as an unfair advantage......and in my opinion, I feel its almost necessary when using a high speed high torque digital servo. I consider it just another tuning option. If someone else decides not to use it, then thats their personal decision.
tfa8rva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If your steering is TOO sensitive you can dial in some positive expo and make it less touchy. Or you can try some mechanical adjustments in the suspension to work it out. Your call. I don't use it, and don't think it creates a bad habit it just changes the way your car drives. Just like tire selection. Shock oil selection. Toe, Camber changes etc.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use it on my electric car but not my nitro stuff. I really dont think it would do too much IDK.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wouldn't sensitive steering require negative expo,,,hmmm,,,
estes rockets, interesting.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think it depends on which brand of radio as to whether they refer to as positive or negative expo.
tfa8rva is offline   Reply With Quote