Turning Radius

Old 12-27-2007, 06:04 PM
bds
Tech Rookie

Default Turning Radius

Hi, I am the owner of a used 1/8 scale sportwerks mayhem buggy. The previous owner claims he has run half a gallon through it. So far it runs great and it is pretty much a daily basher. I drive it on paved road. The only complaint I can think of is that it seems to turn very wide. If i lift up the front of the car and turn left and right it turns well, but if I put it down on a surface and turn left and right it only turns a little. Also, when driving at speed and turning the turns are pretty wide unless I brake hard to a slow speed and turn or if I really hammer the brakes and turn swiftly sometimes I can get it to turn in sharper. Some adjustments I have thought of making are changing the differential fluids (any recommendations) and perhaps sticking on a fresh pair of tires as this one is worn down almost to the point where it has no more tread ( the knobby bits sticking out the tire are almost all gone). Thanks for listening.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

what you got is on power push that's pretty normal when driving at high speeds and to get more steering you try different shock fluids and diff oils and you could take a dermal and cut out some of the plastic around your pivot balls. but most buggy turn better at low speeds. and it could be you need a stronger steering servo with more tourge
Old 12-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

sounds like it could be a weak servo too....
Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 PM
bds
Tech Rookie

Yes it seems that I do have pretty severe on-power push since the car almost refuses to turn when i put the power down. I forgot to point this out. I will take the car into the hobby shop this weekend to try and buy some spring fluid and differential fluids. Any other things I can do to help cure this problem?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds
Yes it seems that I do have pretty severe on-power push since the car almost refuses to turn when i put the power down. I forgot to point this out. I will take the car into the hobby shop this weekend to try and buy some spring fluid and differential fluids. Any other things I can do to help cure this problem?
You most likely need a stronger steering servo. If the wheels are turning just as far as when off the ground, then thats the car pushing and will be corrected with tires & suspension, but if you see it is not turning are far as when off the ground, thats the servo. It cannot overcome the steering force on the suspension when turning. Most RTR cars have crappy servos. Get a servo with 130 oz of torque of higher. Metal gears are also suitable. I have the Futaba S9351 on steering on my cars and it will traction roll the car if I run it on pavement and steering it too quick or go to fast and try to turn.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Either as the above people have mentioned or it could be as simple as your servo saver is to loose and needs tightening

Craige
Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You all could be right, but when your battery get`s low, your response is slow, try using fresh battery`s !!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Yeah, get a stronger servo and tighten your servo saver. ANother thing that I would like to point out is shim your diffs properly, they get worn very fast when you bash on road (I learned it from experience). The pinion goes away first