R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCjunky22

I had the same problem. The reason that i found was having too powerful of a motor. I had a Modded STS 28 that made ballistic power. And each race i blew the rear diff. out. I fixed it by getting a less powerful engine. Which also helped my driving.

-Joe

Kyosho 777SP2 WC-
Hitec servos, Modded RG looking for a good pipe
RCjunky22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hmmm, I run an OS XZ .28 and a GRP .28 in mine without issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCjunky22 View Post
I had the same problem. The reason that i found was having too powerful of a motor. I had a Modded STS 28 that made ballistic power. And each race i blew the rear diff. out. I fixed it by getting a less powerful engine. Which also helped my driving.

-Joe
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

"Knock on wood" I've been running the same diff gears for at least 15 gallons now with zero issues, I always check to make sure there is no side to side play and I always put a small bead of Eureka lube or Maxima/Belray waterproof motorcycle grease on the ring gears to keep them lubed and cool! With that being said I'm probably pushing my luck and will most likely replace the gears soon but I can't really ask any more with the amount of run time the truck has on it, and to be honest even if I had to replace the gears every 3 or 4 gallons it wouldn't discourage me from owning one. This truck still makes me smile every time I drive it, it's just that good!
JakeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Powerlink

I have had mine now for 6 to 7 gallons, which is good , Not a problem at all ,I installed them from the start notchy .Then went back to check them and shim them if needed . I will replace them shortly with new units ,just to be on the safe side
Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCjunky22 View Post

-Joe

Were you running the .28 in a buggy or truck? Just Curious. It says in your signature that you have an ST-RR coming. Hope I see ya some time.

I am running an OS .28XZ/OS 2060 pipe, which is just an insane combo, I have only blown one diff due to the fact of incorrect shimming. I pulled my diff out today. I just put a new one in two races ago. I have a total of 4 shims on the left side, 0 on the right. No slop what-so-ever.

Brad
Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to vthondaboi Send a message via Yahoo to vthondaboi

I was a newbie with off-road and followed instructions from Lutz and another board and never had problems with my diffs.

E-Flite Blade CX2 Heli
vthondaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
Tech Rookie

LUTZ THANKS FOR INFO YOU ARE THE MAN AND THE TRUCK IS THE SUGAR HONEY ICE TEA! BUT I AM HAVING ISSUES. I HAVE ZERO SIDE TO SIDE PLAY PUT NEW GEARS UP TIGHT MAYBE I AM PUTTING THEM TO TIGHT QUESTION I AM A MAINTAINCE FREAK WHEN RESHIMMING AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN RUN STILL SHOULD I PUT THEM UP WITH ZERO LASH? SHOULD I REPLACE DIFF HOUSING EVERYTIME? I WOULD LIKE TO FIGURE THIS OUT THE TRUCKS IS SUPER GOOD I PERSONALY AM NOT HAVING THE SAME LUCK THAT SOME OF THESE OTHER GUYS ARE HAVING
too fast 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

I would have to say shimming the diff in the case for no play is one key item, then moving the shims from one to the other to set the gear mesh is a must. Also make sure to grease the pinion and ring gear once thats done. Also keep in mind that when you install the rear center shaft to the pinion, you tighten it to the pinion with no axial play. If you install the shaft and don't hold the pinion in while tightening it down, the pinion will move in and out if there is any play. This will hammer the bearings, make them fail. My friend appears to have his inner pinion bearing fail because of this just this weekend.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by too fast 55 View Post
LUTZ THANKS FOR INFO YOU ARE THE MAN AND THE TRUCK IS THE SUGAR HONEY ICE TEA! BUT I AM HAVING ISSUES. I HAVE ZERO SIDE TO SIDE PLAY PUT NEW GEARS UP TIGHT MAYBE I AM PUTTING THEM TO TIGHT QUESTION I AM A MAINTAINCE FREAK WHEN RESHIMMING AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN RUN STILL SHOULD I PUT THEM UP WITH ZERO LASH? SHOULD I REPLACE DIFF HOUSING EVERYTIME? I WOULD LIKE TO FIGURE THIS OUT THE TRUCKS IS SUPER GOOD I PERSONALY AM NOT HAVING THE SAME LUCK THAT SOME OF THESE OTHER GUYS ARE HAVING
+1 to what ezveedub said, and after running in the gears, if there is a very tiny click on the lash, it's ok with these new gears.... you don't want a tight spot after the gears are run in.... tight and smooth is the desired setting...
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote