R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? 1/10th Nitro'S, but which one?? DBX VS Tomahawk

1/10 scale nitro buggies…

Well im new to the world of nitro, the smokes, the sounds, the power of nitro cars has attarcted me to this side of the hobby. They say once you started nitro “there’s no going back”, well if this is true than I have to get myself one of these bad boys. I searched around various online sites and some Rc Mags and I have narrowed down my search to these two models; since they fit my needs and most importantly budget… see I’m just a student so I don’t have the big bucks to go 1/8th scale.
So RC guys out there can I have suggestions or comments to help me get one of them?

First up is the KYOSHO DBX. I’ve read the concerning thread here around the forums, well there are so many good comments and then there are some that came with issues such as annoying servos that don’t work sometimes or various inconsistant builds (although this one is just a totally minor one).
I got some specs for the car:

Speed (according to a magazine which reviewed the buggy)

Maximum: 37.4 mph / 60.1 kmh
Acceleration to max speed: Approx. 6 seconds

Fuel tank capacity (Run times?) 105cc – can be upgraded.
Tools needed: Ready to Run. Only fuel and a couple of AA’s and a glow plug…

Wrenching: According to the magazine the radio box cum servo holder thing makes easy access. But reads from other forumers say that putting the whole thing back might be a pain in the as$?

Reliability and parts: I’m assuming the a product from Kyosho is a good one, and that there should be some hop ups or at least replacement parts. Im not sure whether the car is compatible with some parts from other types of buggies or if there are any aftermarkets for it. If my information is correct the engine can’t be replaced by another .18 because of the mounting? (correct me if I’m wrong)

Most importantly- PRICE: I can get this baby for $ 249.99

1up: The looks of DBX totally rocks I LOVE the colors!!!!

Next on the list is the Tomahawk BX. Maybe your reaction is “what?” right now, well this is from a manufacturer called Thunder Tiger. Its based in Taiwan, and don’t ask me why they name it ‘Thunder Tiger’ sounds like a character from Kung-Fu Panda. Anyways, I have seen the products used, even sold in European countries so I assume that this is not those “china” stuff. They even have the car reviewed by RC Driver issue 55, July 2008. If a car can enter magazines and the review is quite good so I will take it into consideration. No offence to Thunder Tiger fans if the way I wrote here is a bit biased.

Tomahawk BX

Speed (according to a magazine which reviewed the buggy)

Maximum: 39.2mph / 63.0 kmh -- apparently the restrictor on this engine is smaller.

Acceleration to max speed: Approx. 2.85 seconds !!!! (That is ACCELERATION)

Fuel tank capacity (Run times?) 125cc.
Tools needed: Also Ready to Run. Only fuel and a couple of AA’s and a glow plug…

Wrenching: If according to the magazine wrenching here is the same as applied to any nitro buggies, no more or less (easier). The kit comes with all the tools that are needed though…

Reliability and parts: now here is the issue. I havent found a website (yet) that sells replacement parts and hop ups. I also don’t stay in the US, so I have to rely on these websites and my LHS (which do not stock Thunder Tiger.) about reliability, well it looks like the suspension arms are stronger than the DBX but not very adjustable.
Most importantly- PRICE: I can get this baby for $ 209.90

1up: if those numbers are true this is quite a fast buggy (for this price)

As you can see, its kinda neck and neck… so im having troubles choosing. I love the looks of the DBX its totally bad-ass whilst the tomahawk could blow it in a drag race… so, can I have your professional opinions guys? –don’t tell me to get them both, if I could I’d just get a Hyper. (I don’t have the patience to save up )
br0ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Parts will be the actual factor here IMO. Look for parts for both cars, like shock parts or arms, the usual stuff that breaks. See which one you can find parts for the easiest.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Don't forget about the Hot Bodies Lightning 10. Amainhobbies has parts for them and they are great buggies. But if you have it narrowed down to only the tomahawk and the kyosho then I would say the kyosho. I think amainhobbies.com has parts for the kyosho too.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote