Wiki Posts
Search

Which 1/8 buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default Which 1/8 buggy?

I am debating between the XRay 808, Mugen MBX5 (R or Prospec?), Jammin X1 CR, and Kyosho 777 SP2.. What are the pros and cons of each? What updates would I need for each?

Looking to get into gas buggy. Any opinions are much appreciated.

Last edited by cpatel529; 06-22-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpatel529
I am debating between the XRay 808, Mugen MBX5 (R or Prospec?), Jammin X1 CR, and Kyosho 777 SP2. Not interested in the Losi 8eight or Associated RC8. What are the pros and cons of each? What updates would I need for each?

Just curious, why not?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, the Jammin, kyosho and Mugen are all due to be replaced at the end of this season. I run the 808 and it is really a great car. Excellent handling, easy tuning, great quality, and it is really durable.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I run a Jammin and it is a tank. The Losi will handle better, but in my opinion is not as durable. I get outran by all of them and I have outran all of them. I would pick the one that I could get the best selection of parts and support for. I love my Jammin buggy and would without a doubt buy another. I also have a Losi 8t that I havent yet ran, but for some reason I just cant get too excited about it. That may change after I drive it. Im just a Jammin guy.
+1 on the Jammin.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cpatel529
I am debating between the XRay 808, Mugen MBX5 (R or Prospec?), Jammin X1 CR, and Kyosho 777 SP2. Not interested in the Losi 8eight or Associated RC8. What are the pros and cons of each? What updates would I need for each?

You could always read the other 1.5 million threads on the same exact subject.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i know you didnt mention it but the cen matrix would be a good choice as well thay have the matrix2 coming out real soon.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

With Mugen coming out with a new buggy sometime you might be able to find a killer deal on a good used one. Then if you like it (and I know you will) you can get the new one if you want more.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am going to wait about a month for the Hotbodies D8. But also +2 on the Matrix I run the truggy now and it is an armored truck, the buggy is the same.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Post mid july

due out in mid july in the new hyper 9 its already been reported on by all the major magazines ,made the A - main at the nats 2 weeks ago in the hands of jeremy kortz . one of the lead designers is tim bump of nitrohousehobbies.com
its new and full of interesting design ideas ,most of the current crop of buggys are due for a new release with the exception of the losi ,assoc,or xray may be all called the 9 series like the hyper buggy rc9.909.9ine ...lol
Old 06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

I run the MBX5R so can only give you my experience of this buggy.

Pros
easy driving durable car which lasts, sets up fairly easy and is very tuneable, the diffs on this car really are bulletproof im the only person at my track to shim the diffs loose and not strip the diff, the package is really top notch every part of the car is high spec what isnt ally is carbon, you get a good handful of rear toe blocks with and without squat built in a choice of front blocks to change kickup of the front arms plus many other items standard.

Cons

the MBX6 is just around the corner , some people will say price but look at whats in there, not as light as the 8 and RC8.

just my thoughts on the mugen

as for what to buy ?? does your track have a onsite shop if so buy what they have stocked in spares it may be the difference on race day, if you dont it doesnt really matter although it is beneficial to be able to ask other people running the same chassis for help these few things aside the choice is yours you spend your money and take your chances
Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help guys! I went to the local 1/8 scale gas track today to talk to some people. Seems like the popular choice around here is the Losi 8ight.

On that note, I think that I am gonna go with the XRay XB808. From what I have read it seems to be very comparable to the Losi in performance but has XRay quality.