R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

What the hell is wrong with these damn glow plugs, OK the stock one on my RC8 was crap out the box. So i got 3 of the MC8 plugs and out of those 3 only one worked now it doesn't. still cant break-in this friggin car. I swear I'm getting ready to give up on this thing. I work on real cars for a living and never have this bad of a headache. well only sometimes but please help. Are these things suppose to glow bright red instantly or what. is the glow plug igniter possibly bad? Am I just cursed. at 7.49 a glow plug I cant afford to keep wasting money on these damn things everyday.
tonywing_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

what kind of ignitor?

im sure it charged right...
Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Powerlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywing_64 View Post
What the hell is wrong with these damn glow plugs, OK the stock one on my RC8 was crap out the box. So i got 3 of the MC8 plugs and out of those 3 only one worked now it doesn't. still cant break-in this friggin car. I swear I'm getting ready to give up on this thing. I work on real cars for a living and never have this bad of a headache. well only sometimes but please help. Are these things suppose to glow bright red instantly or what. is the glow plug igniter possibly bad? Am I just cursed. at 7.49 a glow plug I cant afford to keep wasting money on these damn things everyday.
I don't know your experience with nitro motors , but yea make sure your glow igniter is working right. charge it or replace the batt. .If you know somebody that has one you can barrow ,try it before throwing out good plugs. They should glow pretty fast when installed in the igniter.Take one and hold it in the igniter and check it before installing it in the motor. ..good luck
Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

2 out of the 3 where just warm not even glowing red, I changed the D battery in the igniter still the same. I opened the 3rd glow plug put the igniter on it and it glowed. I was confused as to why the other 2 BRAND NEW ones did not glow. so I put it in started the car up and Bam! it worked. I then cut the fuel shut it off and tried again and nothing. pulled the glow plug, checked it and no glow. It is warm to the touch but no glow. Any ideas? Some guy at work also has a RC8 so I will bring it and have him take a look. But kinda disappointed right now. Thanks for your replies
Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Powerlink

To me it sounds like that igniter is bunk ,try your friends igniter bet it will fire up no prob. ..
Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Buy a rechargable ignitor and leave it plugged in at al times. Those D battery ignitors SUCK! I have the losi and it works great. Those plugs should all be good.
jgtruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtruggy View Post
Buy a rechargable ignitor and leave it plugged in at al times. Those D battery ignitors SUCK! I have the losi and it works great. Those plugs should all be good.
damn, yeah its gotta be your igniter if its a D cell one.

get one of these, you dont want any normal batteries on your car, make every battery rechargeable, remote/transmitter, receiver box battery, starter box/ roto start, glow igniter. its worth it.

https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...idproduct=3030
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ive been in this hobby for 5 years and of all the glow plugs that I have bought I have never had one that didnt work outta the box/bag whatever. Im not saying that one outta three may be bad, but for 2 outta 3 to be bad, thats almost impossible. Pretty sure it is your glow ignitor, get a good rechargable one, either the hot-shot, the losi. Im sure there are other good ones but those are the only two I have experience with.

Kyosho 777 WC w/ big bores, RB S5, ACE 1313 s., Air 357 t., JP-3
HPI Savage X SS, Axial .28, Hitec 5645 Steering servo
Nitro TC3, O.S. .18 CV-R
Associated RC18T, Brushless, Lipo
wes95_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

wow i had a hpi savage 25 that i ran the original plug since day one for 3.5 years i didnt even change it after the break in but yes buy a hot shot 2 i found out they are the best ignitors that i have found ive got 4 diffrent ones and i bought the hot shot new about 6 years and and it still has the same battery in it its just great
superdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I've had a Traxxass plug that didn't work that was brand new. I tried a bunch of different glow ignitors on it and still nothing. I never bought traxxass plugs again.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

In over ten years of nitro racing I have only ever had one new plug that didn't work and one new plug that leaked. Not around the seal to the head but up through the center pin. Weird I know but only one. Get a good igniter and I would suggest a fast charger for it such as the one from GloBee.

On another note, I have one of the nice looking little OS igniters that uses a rechargeable AA. It works great on hot plugs but a #7 or 8 it will not get to glow. I guess a AA just doesn't have the ass for a cold plug. Stick with the sub C rechargeables.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Hey guys I did get myself a new igniter. tested all the glow plugs at the lobby hobby shop and they fired right up. I somehow thought thought they needed to be grounded out by the engine or something. I since have finished the break-in period. and love this thing.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Tony, don't you love it when things work out. Now get out there and burn fuel and have fun.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote