R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking AMB Personal Transponder

HELLO!

I'am new to the R/C world and so is my brother. We like to race each other, and would like a sure fire way to figure out who crossed the finish line first. I read about these transponder things (AMB Personal Transponder) and thought there were the solution to our problem, but If I'am not mistaken you need to be at a track for these things to work? Is there anyway or anything similer we can use at our own backyard track?
Any and all information is appreciated. (BTW I'am pretty sure I hit the checkered line 1st )
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Powerlink

You could always use a video cam. set up on a tri pod or have a friend hold the video cam. Oh and you could save it and watch it later for years to come.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You need a decoder to use AMB personal transponders. These typically cost in the thousands so are only suited to club tracks. There is a personal timing system somewhere, but I have no idea where.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Tech Master

Orion and a few Asian companies make individual timing systems. You get everything you need to time one car. They are not cheap. A couple of hundred dollars. Other than that, its all I know about them. For you and a mate you will need one each then you can compare each others times. I've seen them readily available at RCMart and other Asian online stores.

For about $500-600 (price varies depending on what you purchase) US dollars their is a timing system that uses personal transponders, has a decoder and sensors to make a timing bridge. It uses direct line of site from the transponder to the timing bridge though. It does work very well but nowhere near as good as AMB but a lot cheaper.

I use it for indoor 18th offroad racing with LapsFree software.
http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Cheers
julius_makewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thank You very much for all your repies. I didn't relize that they could be so expensive. I guess we will just have to have someone at the finish line and judge for us

Thanks again for the great info!
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
Thank You very much for all your repies. I didn't relize that they could be so expensive. I guess we will just have to have someone at the finish line and judge for us

Thanks again for the great info!
use a peice of tape with chalk on it. whoever hit it first gets covered in chalk dust