Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the easiest way to put Clutch shoes on a 8T

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Whats the easiest way to put Clutch shoes on a 8T

Just like the title says. Im trying to put the shoes on my 8T, and after jabbing a screwdriver through my finger im not enjoying this design at all. Whats the easiest way to do this?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdaddy
Just like the title says. Im trying to put the shoes on my 8T, and after jabbing a screwdriver through my finger im not enjoying this design at all. Whats the easiest way to do this?
You have to just line up one hole at a time. You will have to apply a bit of pressure to the shoe toward the clutch center to get the pin through the bottom hole. I have put a very slight taper on the end of the pins to assist with finding the hole After you get a few, it goes real easy. I just keep turning the pin back and forth with my hex as I line up each hole and apply pressure to offset the spring tension and all is good.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, I will try to round off the end of the screw
Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcdaddy
Thanks, I will try to round off the end of the screw
Yea, I messed around with trying to put on new shoes for 3 hours the night before a trophy race. Then my buddy that that was rooming with me decided to let me know that he had a dremel to round off the tips
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

I spent 2 hours before I got on here and asked.
I finally got it in about 5 minutes after rounding the screws off.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

about 3 or four stabs and 20 minutes later...i got the right touch to get the screw/pin in there..shortly after i switched to a jammin 3 shoe lol
Old 06-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

After battling my 8 and 8T clutches for the last few months I decided to find a way to fix this once and for all so I didn't have to go through dremeling the pins one at a time every time I changed the clutches.

I was at the track and my Composites gave out - the aluminum were still good. Decided to swap them all out and get back out - as I am stubborn and do not want to leave practice nights.

I needed a ten minute solution to a clutch swap at the track and they say necessity is the mother of invention....... So in a moment of desperation I pulled out all new clutches, springs, pins and stuck them all in the flywheel and got them started.

Reach around behind me and grab a tie strap and zipped it around the clutch tight. It pulled all the clutch shoes in perfect and I just gave the shoe a nudge sideways to drop the pin in the hole.

BAM....... I was able to swap my clutches in 5 minutes and I have done it twice since then. No shaving, drilling, cursing..... Zip tie the clutch and slide the shoe a little to the right (the natural direction the spring pushes the shoe is left) and the pins drop in like butter........

Hope it helps you all in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Whats the easiest way to put Clutch shoes on a 8T-img_4614.jpg   Whats the easiest way to put Clutch shoes on a 8T-img_4615.jpg  

Last edited by Revo-lution; 06-13-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, that should be the best way without causing any damage to the shoes or flywheel. Great idea.