R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Starter Box Lipo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/226671-starter-box-lipo.html)

Pull_My_Finger 06-13-2008 09:10 AM

Starter Box Lipo

Are you guys using a low voltage cutoff when running a lipo in your starter box? It seems like it would be real easy to over-discharge a lipo without a cutoff.

mrhenning11 06-13-2008 09:40 AM

I'm not. But if there is some type of cut off I would use. I have never seen one.
Mark

Nitro syco 06-13-2008 01:06 PM

They dont need it, a lipo in a starter box will easily last a 3 days of use, the only thing you need to be careful about is leaving the battery pluged in. I am currently using a Mugen Grey box and a HT 2100mAh battery and the most I have ever used in one day is 400mAh, so as long as you dont forget to charge it, and you unplug it then theres nothing to worry about.

Paul_67 06-13-2008 01:56 PM

Thanks for that info. I'm running the exact same setup.

fhm555 06-14-2008 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I set up a starter box with a 2100 14.4V max amps lipo and an Apogee LOA

http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/sh...d=203&catid=48

The way I wired it up, the LOA would go off if I forgot to unplug my battery and it started going too low between uses. The LOA also self tests when it's energized so you know if it's working. It only costs around $20 and it's 20 bucks worth of peace of mind and one less thing to worry about keeping up with. What can I say, I'm getting forgetful in my old age. :p

Integra 06-14-2008 06:25 PM

hrmm....to my knowledge u dont have to worry about un pluging the lipo in the box as there's nowhere for the power to go.....a Rx lipo...a little different...as its normally hooked up inline with a regulator...which can trickle power off...but a set of motor's.....i dont think so......i have never noticed any voltage drop or any Mah droppage over time....but i have only been runnin lipo in the box for a couple months now.

blowpopracer 06-14-2008 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 4539320)
hrmm....to my knowledge u dont have to worry about un pluging the lipo in the box as there's nowhere for the power to go.....a Rx lipo...a little different...as its normally hooked up inline with a regulator...which can trickle power off...but a set of motor's.....i dont think so......i have never noticed any voltage drop or any Mah droppage over time....but i have only been runnin lipo in the box for a couple months now.

You are right about the battery not draining if there is no where for the power to go, what you need to understand is if you leave it plugged in and it gets shuffled in your pit bag it could be running without you knowing it, especially with the mugen box since it has no on/off switch. You probably safe leaving it plugged in but why would u risk it. I leave mine plugged in all race day and unplug before I go home.

Also if you hook up your voltage regulator right it wont drain any power from the battery unless the on/off switch is on. I do the same thing with my buggy leave it plugged in all day but unplug before the ride home just to be safe.

Just to clarify some people run battery to reg to switch which will cause the regulator to always have power. Instead run battery to switch then to reg and reg will shut off just like your servos do.

Nitro$junkie 06-14-2008 10:06 PM

Ive been wanting to go lipo for a while and i end up ordering 2 of these http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...03200Mah%2020C
now will this setup work just as good as say a single 14.8V pac or not work at all im a noob when it comes to batterys i only ever have run nitro i know the electric guys would know the best way to set one up im using the Mugen box as well any info would be great

also whats with i hear its a must to balance your pacs i ordered one of these http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...i-Po%20Battery but thats just to check i use a swallow 2 charger with that be ok to charge this battery

air8 06-15-2008 12:30 AM

I burned up several motors in my boxes using two 7.4v 6000mah packs. Maybe you will be ok with the 3200's. At least I hope so. The batteries I used to use put out 120ams, almost double what you will have. IDK. If you start frying motors then this might be why. I'm not saying it will happen, but possibly.

Nitro$junkie 06-15-2008 03:30 AM

yeah thats what i was worried about oh well ill have to hope it dosent happen

pracy 06-15-2008 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by blowpopracer (Post 4539615)
You are right about the battery not draining if there is no where for the power to go, what you need to understand is if you leave it plugged in and it gets shuffled in your pit bag it could be running without you knowing it, especially with the mugen box since it has no on/off switch. You probably safe leaving it plugged in but why would u risk it. I leave mine plugged in all race day and unplug before I go home.

Also if you hook up your voltage regulator right it wont drain any power from the battery unless the on/off switch is on. I do the same thing with my buggy leave it plugged in all day but unplug before the ride home just to be safe.

Just to clarify some people run battery to reg to switch which will cause the regulator to always have power. Instead run battery to switch then to reg and reg will shut off just like your servos do.

thats a good idea but you'd have to upgrade the wire on the switch to take the higher current and voltage as its before the reg and will get more current on high torque servo's i think?

Integra 06-15-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by pracy (Post 4540219)
thats a good idea but you'd have to upgrade the wire on the switch to take the higher current and voltage as its before the reg and will get more current on high torque servo's i think?

uhh...i dont think so. :confused:

Bulldawg RC 06-15-2008 01:29 PM

for a starter box you don't want a high C rating. i use 3850mAh 8C battery by common sense. works great here is the link

http://www.bulldawgrc.com/14vo388cli.html

fhm555 06-16-2008 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 4539320)

I ruined a 1720 lipo rec pack leaving it plugged in for a couple of months. The battery was plugged straight into the switch with the regulator between the switch and receiver and I know the switch was off because the regulator was mounted outside the rec box and I would have seen the monitor LED if it had been left switched on. I was telling a local guy I race with about my stupidity and he said he did the same thing by leaving a lipo pack plugged in to the ESC on his min racer with the switch off.

I never had any problems leaving a nimh or nicd rec or starter box pack(s) plugged in, but with lipo in any application I think it's better to be safe than sorry. If your lipo is unplugged, it can't drain no matter how your system is wired.

Integra 06-16-2008 08:00 AM

bah...w/e...u obviously dont get it.