R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Hmmmm... I don't get it either... why waste the money? A $25 12v battery will give you all the power you need and no hassles. (Yeah, it's heavier. Is the exercise gonna kill ya?)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Hmmmm... I don't get it either... why waste the money? A $25 12v battery will give you all the power you need and no hassles. (Yeah, it's heavier. Is the exercise gonna kill ya?)
I just gave all my 12volt gel cells away cause I went to lipo on all my starter boxes. The gel cells suck! Their heavy, take forever to charge, in my opinion dont have enough juice to turn over my engines, not to mention my dynamite ice wont charge it properly.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowpopracer View Post
I just gave all my 12volt gel cells away cause I went to lipo on all my starter boxes. The gel cells suck! Their heavy, take forever to charge, in my opinion dont have enough juice to turn over my engines, not to mention my dynamite ice wont charge it properly.

the ICE CANT charge a cell cell...thats why.... gel cells work just fine...like DOMIT said....but if u can go lipo..why not.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
the ICE CANT charge a cell cell...thats why.... gel cells work just fine...like DOMIT said....but if u can go lipo..why not.
Yup, called duratrax and they confirmed the ice charger can not charge any lead/acid gell cell batteries. I figured out a way to make it work but it didnt work very well. If you look in the manual or call duratrax they will confirm what Im saying.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowpopracer View Post
Yup, called duratrax and they confirmed the ice charger can not charge any lead/acid gell cell batteries. I figured out a way to make it work but it didnt work very well. If you look in the manual or call duratrax they will confirm what Im saying.

NO Comment....u just answer'd everything i need to know.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #21

Quote:
25 dollar gel cel or 25 dollar Lipo, I know which one I would chose and its not the gel cel... what if you travel, the lipo will reduce your luggage weight considerably.

And what hassle, been using a 3000mah Lipo for 6months now with no hassle, charge it and race, have a backup 2300 pack.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
NO Comment....u just answer'd everything i need to know.
I guess I dont understand your post???? Do you have something to add or correct me on? Id love to get the wealth of knowledge you possess and are unwilling to share with us.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull_My_Finger View Post
Are you guys using a low voltage cutoff when running a lipo in your starter box? It seems like it would be real easy to over-discharge a lipo without a cutoff.
Dont worry about the low volt cutoff but if the motor slows imediately stop and recharge the batt, Lipo's dont like to be deep cycled.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

ALL batteries, regardless of the type, loose voltage over time.....whether they're hooked up or not!!
rcdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude69 View Post
ALL batteries, regardless of the type, loose voltage over time.....whether they're hooked up or not!!

Hrmm.....ive been told lipo's will hold voltage for months. no problems.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Hrmm.....ive been told lipo's will hold voltage for months. no problems.
Lipo's lose very little voltage, almost nothing.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You're correct that lipos can be stored for months, but Lipos do loose voltage. Although not at the rate that NiMh do.
rcdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #28
Tech Regular

I run a 2100 14.8 lipo in my ofna truggy box and it works great...I can never, ever see going back to a gel cell or stick packs again. I have raced an entire weekend on one charge with no issues. After 2 days of racing, I charged him up and it took 1500 mah, so it was about as low as it could go. You can top off Lipos as much as you want, as there is no memory with them. Also, you are supposed to store lipos charged (they do lose volts, but nowhere near the nimh do). Generally when I get home after a weekend of racing, I charge up the Lipo right away, and then it is good for the next race day...I leave it plugged in as well, but if I were to let it sit for months, I would likely unplug it
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
bah...w/e...u obviously dont get it.
If the regulator is downstream from the switch in a receiver box, how is that different than a motor being downstream from the switch in a starter box?

If the battery is not plugged in to the system, it can't be drawn down by anything in that system.

Whatever......it's your money and cells you are risking so have the hell at it in wantever manner blows your dress up.

Last edited by fhm555; 06-18-2008 at 05:55 AM.
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I used to feel the same way until I bought my first Novarossi. Maybe my gel cell was old, but it wouldn't turn that Nova over for beans.
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote