R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-21-2008, 04:46 AM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Never EVER forget, this is a hobby and you don't have to do it every day but you will eat and sleep somehow. I head needle point dosn't cost much......
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We all know that this is spendy but nitro off road is insane
Old 06-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #123
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezjr View Post
We all know that this is spendy but nitro off road is insane
Where is all this cost comming from. I bought my Buggy for this year, motor, radio, ect. I have run less than 1 gallon over several race weekends, and I still have the breaking plug in it. I have only bought one set of tires that are still like new, and no broken parts. The only thing I have to do is re-build my clutch after this gallon and it's more racing for me. I don't get it, the cost of brushless and Li-pos is insane.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Then I guess you are just relaxed about wrenching and your local track is the best track ever built in the history of the world. Inbetween rounds I went through the entire car after every round and I found worn out parts most of the time. I rebuilt the shocks after every round. Put a new set of tires on every round.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #125
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Anything is expensive if you want to excell. Sure you can run electric with one car, one charger, one motor and a couple packs but if you want to be competitive at major races you will need a LOT more then that.

Same with nitro. You can be a weekend warrior with one car, one cheap motor and have a blast. If you want to run with the big boys you better dig a little deeper.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #126
Tech Regular

Have to agree,

My car is used weekly and is throughly checked over and im not replacing parts weekly. My diff oils are changed every 2 weeks as are shock oils and they Definately dont need rebuilding round after round. Our tracks are notoriously hard on the cars as well with ruts and holes all over the place but again tyres last 3-4 meets before i replace them even when i do they still have tread left on them

so god knows what you were doing to have to do all that!! sound like an electric fan boy to me
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #127
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to wb-racer-ace

this hobby is as expensive as you want to make it. some tracks have a very forgiving surface and you can go a couple months on a set of tires, hell I run mine till I cant run them anymore, just gotta compensate a little in your setup and driving style.
IMO if you dont crash into everything on the track all the time and dont beat on your stuff and maintain it fairly well, once you get over the initial investment nitro offroad is not that expensive. I raced electric offroad for about 20 years, and got out of it because it was getting too expensive, gotta always be on top of the battery and motor wars and that can get expensive.
nitro, you watch the temp on your motor, dont overheat it and keep it clean, you most always can get an entire season out of it. then when it wears out get a pinch, bearings and maybe a new rod and your good to go another season. I'm going on my second full season on my good ol RB that was lightly used when I got it and it still runs great, I keep it clean, watch the temp on it and keep a good plug it it.
wb-racer-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #128
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Then I guess you are just relaxed about wrenching and your local track is the best track ever built in the history of the world. Inbetween rounds I went through the entire car after every round and I found worn out parts most of the time. I rebuilt the shocks after every round. Put a new set of tires on every round.

LOL With all the heats “1/10,1/8 buggy/truggy, and Monster Trucks 3 heats plus a main” and classes we run there is no time to go through and rebuild my buggy "I also marshal every heat I'm not racing in like every racer should". I wrench on my car when it needs it and I inspect my buggy completely and clean it completely after every race and practice. 1/8 scale buggies don't wear or break like 1/10th scale cars do if that’s what your racing. My LST2's Mach has 9 gallons on it and it still runs like a bat out of hell. I know how to tune and wrench. My track isn't the best in the world, but it is a nice track and I'm happy to have it to race at. I'm not the best driver in the world either and never claimed to be, and my 8ight keeps coming back for more. I love nitro and plan on buying a case of Byron’s 2nd gen 30% today to last me the rest of the season for $122. $27 a gallon + tax = $122

If you’re doing that much wrenching you have a problem, or your buggy can't handle your brushless system, or you’re driving.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #129
Tech Elite

It wasn't my driving. Part of the reason I was doing all of that was because the top guys in the series did. And I redid the shocks after every round cause I had a mugen and every time I did them, it was either the coating in the shocks or just filth, the oil was that nasty dull silver color. I'm not the best driver in the world either. But I am good enough to keep the car on the track. I have been racing for 20 years and I have learned what it takes to have top tier car, even if I don't put it to the top every time, and I have noticed its a lot cheaper and easier to run electric. But our electric off road tracks in this state are very easy on everything.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #130
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Quote:
Joe, shut up. You are spouting randomness that these people I am sure know isnt the truth. I have raced with you for along time, give me a break.

Nitro vs. Electric?

The answer is they are both as cheap or as expensive as you want to make them. You can run the same set of tires for weeks, or you can run a new set every run. Its up to YOU, its not a cost inherent in the kind of car people run.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

God, thanks for that post above. Perfectly stated!
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #132
Tech Adept

Default Diesel Conversions

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it in this thread, but does anyone have information about possible diesel conversions for the more popular .21/.28 engines? I heard of one company that makes one for some of the monster trucks, but wanted to see if any had tried them out for 1/8th buggies. Not trying to change the subject, but have been thinking about diesel as a possible alternative to nitro due to the present supply situation......I would think it would be alot cheaper........

Losi - Spektrum - Byron's Fuel - Airtronics
Robbie
GSHobby.com
n10cities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #133
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n10cities View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it in this thread, but does anyone have information about possible diesel conversions for the more popular .21/.28 engines? I heard of one company that makes one for some of the monster trucks, but wanted to see if any had tried them out for 1/8th buggies. Not trying to change the subject, but have been thinking about diesel as a possible alternative to nitro due to the present supply situation......I would think it would be alot cheaper........

Davis Diesel makes diesel conversions for some of the popular race engines. These engines do NOT run on automotive or ag diesel however. Model diesel fuel costs about $30.00/gal, although it can sometimes be blended localy for less. Power and fuel mileage is supposed to be better. I only have a little experience with the aircraft engines, so I can't realy offer an oppinion...

http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.php

Dangit, when did all my favorite cars, trucks, airplanes, and engines become "vintage"???
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #134
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thats +2 on the post Kave. I've been racing both nitro and electric for well over 20 years, and just like Kave said you can make either one as expensive as you want. I don't know anybody that goes totally thru their car after every round, not even the Factory pros. If your going thru it and replacing the fluids after every round, I think you could have OCD. Anyway, when did this thread become electric vs. nitro??? The thread title says "30% Fuel unavailable" If your not going to post info pertaining to the thread title please post in a thread that your post fits in. If you want to post about electric racing, there is "Electric On-Road" or "Electric Off-Road" forums specifically for that.
rcdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #135
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Davis Diesel makes diesel conversions for some of the popular race engines. These engines do NOT run on automotive or ag diesel however. Model diesel fuel costs about $30.00/gal, although it can sometimes be blended localy for less. Power and fuel mileage is supposed to be better. I only have a little experience with the aircraft engines, so I can't realy offer an oppinion...

http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.php
Hmmmm.....at those prices, not gonna be much help, might as well stay the current course.....would be nice if you could use automotive diesel!

Losi - Spektrum - Byron's Fuel - Airtronics
Robbie
GSHobby.com
n10cities is offline   Reply With Quote