R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If nitro does die the only thing I will be sad to see go is the heart of america series. Its probably the oldest series in the country. That is where I learned that nitro cost wasy more than electric
Old 06-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Everybody lost their tounges?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #108
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I race gas and electric truck.

Have about a gallon of 25% left should be good till Christmas!

I just won't do a lot of practice!!!

Changed to BL in my T4 which made it faster than my GT2!!!!

IF I had a 5000 lipo I could race 30 minute mains!!
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #109
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I work at a hobby shop and Nitro went up last weekend. ($5.00-$8.00 a gallon) China is stopping/cutting back production until after the olympics. And it is already a problem for drag racers. My buddy was in Kentucky last weekend and called me to ask if we had any problems getting nitro because it has already affected the drag racers there.
mwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #110
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It all comes down to supply and demand. The demand for nitromethane is higher now then it as been in the last couple of years that would be my guess. Here is an exmple, I am a landscaper and in the winter I do snow removal. This past winter here in central Ohio we had the worst snow storm(18 inches in 24 hours) since the blizzard of 1978. Now before we got this storm I was paying $2.00 per bag for salt, so a pallet would cost me around $98.00. The week of the storm all of the sudden there was a salt shortage, did the salt companies run out of salt, NO they could not keep up with the demand for salt here in ohio,so all of the sudden I went from paying $98.00 per pallet to $195.00 per pallet because all of the landscape supply companies here did not know when they were going to get there next shippment of salt in. So the world is not comig to an end my fellow nitro burners. The demand is high and the supply is low,so they will say there is a shortage and raise the price to try and slow down the demand.

P.S. I can get a pallet of salt for $50.00 right now,but its 85 degrees who needs salt right now
losi316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #111
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi316 View Post
It all comes down to supply and demand. The demand for nitromethane is higher now then it as been in the last couple of years that would be my guess. Here is an exmple, I am a landscaper and in the winter I do snow removal. This past winter here in central Ohio we had the worst snow storm(18 inches in 24 hours) since the blizzard of 1978. Now before we got this storm I was paying $2.00 per bag for salt, so a pallet would cost me around $98.00. The week of the storm all of the sudden there was a salt shortage, did the salt companies run out of salt, NO they could not keep up with the demand for salt here in ohio,so all of the sudden I went from paying $98.00 per pallet to $195.00 per pallet because all of the landscape supply companies here did not know when they were going to get there next shippment of salt in. So the world is not comig to an end my fellow nitro burners. The demand is high and the supply is low,so they will say there is a shortage and raise the price to try and slow down the demand.

P.S. I can get a pallet of salt for $50.00 right now,but its 85 degrees who needs salt right now
Buy it all,
Stock pile that stuff for next winter and make out like a mad man.
sachoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Another stupid post on my side. Sorry if I pissed people off. But I do know a few guys on the nitro onroad side that pay up to900 bucks a motor

Last edited by joezjr; 06-21-2008 at 04:20 AM.
joezjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Angry drunk post. Lol

Last edited by joezjr; 06-21-2008 at 04:15 AM.
joezjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #114
Tech Apprentice

I guess im an idiot, I will pay whatever for nitro before I invest in electric. Call me a environmentel terriost if you want but there is no use of sences when running electic ( no smell, no noise, no excitment). If I want to race I will pay $50.00 a gallon. Heck I have 1500 dollars in a buggy.
Big Billy's RC World
Baity's RC
rcdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #115
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Brushless and Lipo is definitely a big improvement in the electric world but it Just doesn't give me the same rush as 1/8th nitro.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

I would like to add that I think Nitro is cheaper to run...

At our local 1/10 track, the only tires that "work" are holeshots, others work but aren't as fast as holeshots. If you want to win, you need to run holeshots, which are basically a one run tire in anything but stock truck. So that right there is roughly 50 bucks on a CLUB night. I know, you don't have to run that tire, but if that's what everyone else is running, and you know it is a faster tire, you have to at least run the tire to be in the game?

With a nitro car my tires (even holeshots) will last at LEAST 4 race weekends, that is including all heats, and a 20 or 30 minute main... You don't have to run holeshots to be fast though, alot of tires work just as good, again it depends on the tracks... Bowties, will last a LONG LONG time, same with Crimefighters, Gators, etc...

Glow plugs, if you are going through 45 dollars worth of glow plugs in one race weekend, you need some help, either tuning, or your bearing/s is/are shot in your motor. I have been running the same glow plug for close to 2 gallons, and it still runs like the day I put it in there (which is normal for most nitro racers).

The added expense in Nitro is fuel, a gallon will last me an average of 6-8 race weekends, but in a 2 month period I have seen some guy's smoke more motors/ESC than I run gallons of fuel?
CRFXXXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #117
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

When my nitro runs low, I'm dragging out my gasoline powered large scale. 1/2 hour on a tank a gas is affordable.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #118
Tech Regular

the whole hobby is just a tilting world. I live in North Carolina, very close to a HUGE lithium mine. What happens when lithium becomes scarce?? what about 4-stroke. I will never own an electric car, but thats me. Im not worried, just open the bill fold a little more. I hear people saying they run electrics, but they have way more than 2 lipos, and a crap load more tires than i ever thought of owning.an 3 or 4 brushless motors and ESC. But you only hear 1 lipo, 1 motor, and a car
Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezjr View Post
Dudes. I don't get that you get whay I am trying to say right now. Some of the nitro in both the onroad and off road series will start racing electric again. Who wants to pay 785 bucks for a good motor and burn 40 bucks in new fuel prices.
hmm 785 for a motor? no idea where you are shopping,, my engines cost 65 buck each and i might go through 2 in a year.

Quote:
Not anybody in their right minds. Sponsored or not. We can take only so much abuse until we go back to our roots to get the most bang for our buck. I don't speak for everyone in the state but I do speak for the ones that don't have a factory ride and the people who don't have a race trailor that doesn't have a big screen lcd tv. Piss off on your fuel. The average racer is not going to to take it. And the average racer that takes it is a bigger idiot than ray romano

listen here flashlight racer, theres this thing about nitro racing. some get it some dont. you obviously dont get it.
looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #120
Tech Elite

What I don't get is the cost. I get the racing. It is fun. But when you have a wife, a couple of car payments, rent, you kind of look at nitro as a thing you can just forget when you have electric