Wiki Posts
Search

8ight starter box

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default 8ight starter box

Hi

Im looking for suggestions for a starter box for the 8ight pro kit buggy. Ive read a lot about many boxes not fitting the 8ight chassis and the need for modification to ether box or buggy. So does anyone know for certain of a box besides the losi box(because ive heard its absolute junk)that will fit the 8ight that needs no modification to ether box or buggy at the cheapest price preferably from amain?

Much thanks for any advice.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Get the Ofna (10244) truggy start box! It is awesome! The motors are huge and it can start just about anything! The last race I went to I started my buggy (losi 8ight). a Mugen MBX5R, and an Associated RC8... No problem....
Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

there's nothing wrong with the losi box...who ever told u that is FULL of it.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra

I second that, mine works great for me...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the very first runs of the losi box had weak motors, that's been fixed long ago. I love mine and with the lipo pack to power it I have no problems what so ever starting anything all day long.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My losi box works great !
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
the very first runs of the losi box had weak motors, that's been fixed long ago. I love mine and with the lipo pack to power it I have no problems what so ever starting anything all day long.

i just recently slapped a 4cell in mine...OH me Oh my....how did i ever do without.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
+1 - Mine worked fantastic all the way thru break-in and for racing. I use a 12v gel, and have two 7.2v stick packs JUST in case. Both turn over my OS without an issue.

The only thing I noticed with the Losi box, is you must make sure the box is set for buggy (if you have a buggy) and push the chassis all the way forward on the box to get it lined up. Still though, easy as a push - POW! Suckers started.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

I use this. Probably wouldn't say it is any stronger than the Losi box though. I just already had it.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17056
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I've had zero problems with my Losi box so far, but a fellow racer uses this box with his 8ight and it works well:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9126

The starter wheel is much smaller than most so it will got further into the flywheel opening. And the smaller wheel means you get more torque too.

But I've also used the Ofna Truggy box with excellent results, but I did have to auger out my chassis. I think if you have the newer Losi flywheel, it's a larger diameter so you don't have to auger the chassis.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Lord

an Auger is for making holes....u mean to say u Bevel'd ur chassy.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the suggestions, been really helpful.

To the people recommending the losi box, have they really improved it? Because its getting a lot of bad reviews from buyers on amain.

Ive been looking at this box: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11556 Anyone with an 8ight use this without modding anything?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been using my losi box for 1 year with zero problems.

I thought the stock wiring looked like crap with the stock motor and battery clips, so I replaced the wires with 14 guage and soldered everything to the gel cell. So far so good.

I also use the kyosho box for my xxxnt ad2 and the small wheel generates a lot of torqe. It is a nice box too.

Whatever box you choose, just make sure to take the time and make sure the pegs are lined up perfectly. There is nothing worse than getting a pitman that cant start the vehicle because the box is jacked up.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jonro
Thanks for all the suggestions, been really helpful.

To the people recommending the losi box, have they really improved it? Because its getting a lot of bad reviews from buyers on amain.

Ive been looking at this box: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11556 Anyone with an 8ight use this without modding anything?

Thanks.
Me, I got my Losi starter box just over a month ago. Have about 30 or so starts on it with a Gel cell in it. Still running on the 1st charge and had no problems with no modifications. The quick adjustments from Buggy to Truggy seem pretty nice to me.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Iv'e had my losi box since they have come into Oz, I havn't even opened it up since the day I bought it. I have to admit though I have seen a few do some motor's in but so far Iv'e been lucky. I do however crack the plug to relieve the starter when breaking in new engines though. To replace motors isn't a real dear problem the local guy in my town sell motors for less than $20 and better again motors for around $30 if you are unlucky.Awesome starter box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.