Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #61
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wall View Post
You running one or two of those packs?
I want to go lipo in my box, but $100 plus for a 3 or 4c lipo just ain't happening!!
you only need 1 4 cell.....on the bay they normally go for 25-40$ pending on the Mah...2200 is plenty for a weekend of racing.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #62
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

what turn are the losi box motors? I did the 55t motors, and while they have plenty of torque, like Integra mentioned, they are a bit lacking in RPM. I have two new stock losi box motors that I took out to put in the 55t's. Are they really holding up well with 4 cell lipo?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #63
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkas10 View Post
what turn are the losi box motors? I did the 55t motors, and while they have plenty of torque, like Integra mentioned, they are a bit lacking in RPM. I have two new stock losi box motors that I took out to put in the 55t's. Are they really holding up well with 4 cell lipo?

honestly they are....its more so the lack of power and the slight chance of stalling the motor's when trying to start a cold motor or new motor with 12v gel or 2 stick packs.....w/e the case is...the extra voltage of the lipo 100% makes up for the weak motors...just make darn sure your pitman know's how to start the truck the right way....just take your time setting up the box to the truck's and everything should be fine....if anything the next set of motor's ill try will be the Crapaxxs Titans and they are 27 or 23 i cant remember.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Can someone shed some light on the upgrade motors that can be dropped into the Losi Box? Do the pinions come off of the stock motors? If not, what pinions do you use. Maybe some Slash 550 12t motors would work well in a Starter Box.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Can someone shed some light on the upgrade motors that can be dropped into the Losi Box? Do the pinions come off of the stock motors? If not, what pinions do you use. Maybe some Slash 550 12t motors would work well in a Starter Box.

RVM,
I put a couple 55t motors in mine and used the losi starter box pulleys from amain. Gently tapped then onto the shaft. They were a pretty tight fit, but I did not need to drill them out or add a grub screw. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16166
Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #66
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
RVM,
I put a couple 55t motors in mine and used the losi starter box pulleys from amain. Gently tapped then onto the shaft. They were a pretty tight fit, but I did not need to drill them out or add a grub screw. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16166
Thanks.. got a link to those motors? I have a feeling I'm going to need to stock up as my GO motors are hard on starter boxes.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks.. got a link to those motors? I have a feeling I'm going to need to stock up as my GO motors are hard on starter boxes.

if your going to replace the motors you should also replace the wiring, use some good 12 or 13 gauge something like this and solder all the joints

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10558

also remember to brake the motors in

I've broken in several Go's on my kyosho 2.0 starter box which is basically the same as the losi box and all I use is a 12v 7ah gel cell. and I've used it so much that I have replaced the wheel twice and the motors are still going strong.

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #68
Tech Lord

i drilled+tapped the pinion's and used a 3mm set screw as most motor's have the flat spot already ground down on the shaft and IMO i don't think its a good idea to press fit them on....unless you have a way to ensure the rotor wont get excessive force put on it possibly damaging something....im sure there's a way...but reaming the pinion and using a set screw is the better way....then you can also play with the depth the pinion sits at....as when you press it on it might not go far enough or too far and then what ?....w/e im just thinking worst case scenario....but still everyone should have a 3mm tap for such circumstances.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14188
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #69
Tech Master

Quote:

These are the motors that I used: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKUG5&P=FR Seem like pretty good quality for the price.

However... I don't know if they are the "perfect" solution as they lack rpm. Everything that I have thrown at them has started, (5 engines including 1 new and 2 fresh pinched) but it seems a bit more of a struggle to get the engine to rev and fire up. Maybe even throw a pair of stock 27T motors that the electric guys are getting rid of in there and see how they work?

x2 on the rewiring the entire box, using good (deans) connectors and soldering every connection.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #70
Tech Master

Quote:
These are the motors that I used: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKUG5&P=FR Seem like pretty good quality for the price.

However... I don't know if they are the "perfect" solution as they lack rpm. Everything that I have thrown at them has started, (5 engines including 1 new and 2 fresh pinched) but it seems a bit more of a struggle to get the engine to rev and fire up. Maybe even throw a pair of stock 27T motors that the electric guys are getting rid of in there and see how they work?

x2 on the rewiring the entire box, using good (deans) connectors and soldering every connection.
Well my starter box motors let go last night trying to break in my new GO 5-port.... I am still looking for some good HD motors to run. More than a few times people have said the Integy 55t is a bit too slow. So I am searching for some very powerful motors that have decent RPM that will fit the Losi box. Has anyone found anything suitable?

How much mod work is required to put these Ofna motors in? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13479

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 03-19-2009 at 07:22 AM.